Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Future of the Crime Squad  (Read 22992 times)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Crime Squad
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

Except if your a lunatic rapist.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

Hey, take it easy. I don't think anyone is trying to make the game into a dating sim, and mainiac wasn't saying gay people should have Liberal superpowers, just pointing out that it's pretty rare to see people take a position they perceive to be in favor of discrimination against their own group.

Personally, if gender is implemented, given that it's currently not in place intentionally, I'd like to see it be done in a light and entertaining way that enables cool situations, possibly sets up some humorous exchanges, and is very "Liberal". But I'd like to be able to discuss this and get people's opinions about it, including contrary ones, without having it become a heated argument.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

Wasn't literally saying that the game's trying to be made into a dating sim or anything, and I'm not trying to start a fevered argument or seem to not be 'taking this easy'. =|

Just trying to explain why gender probably wasn't there in the first place. That's just my two bits. Didn't mean to lash out or anything.

Also, Little, I stand corrected. xD Then again, it's not like lunatic rapists have normal 'tastes' if you know what I'm saying. >.>

Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

No problem -- I probably interpreted it to be a little more inflammatory than you meant it to be.

Gender isn't in the game in the first place because it's Liberal to ignore it.    ;) But it's also something that, like getting arrested for selling 'brownies', is frequently asked about. People want a way to check people's gender before asking them out, as they might find it weird that their male alter ego is suddenly dating a Richard when they are not gay themselves. When told gender isn't even tracked by the game, more than one person has suggested it.

There's certainly nothing broken about the game not tracking gender, it's a very intentional design decision to fit with the theme of the game. But since it's brought up occasionally as a recurring question, I'm open to adding it; I'd just want to make sure it's implemented in a way that's similarly keeping with the theme and serves to open up new possibilities, like hilarity from Conservatives in the Gentleman's Club getting creeped out by your crossdressing founder asking them out.

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

So, got any new ideas from the Toady Discussion?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 06:18:00 pm »

Oh yes, I have been reticent about it because there's a lot of little things that will be more awesome if you stumble into them (eg, Hidden Fun Stuff material). But here's MOST of the ideas he gave me from the plans before departing LCS, minus a few of those gems I want to just add silently:

- [???]

- Change location names and do more with business fronts.

- Add some more clubs, add bouncers.

- Make dating more interesting.

- Add more information about prisoners, at least stop them from being called prisoners once they join up.

- Allow you to give up when you are at a site (even to non-police, but might get some... special treatment, depending on who given up to).

- [???]

- Have people on site become witnesses in the trial, they can be specific about what they witnessed by recording the combat actions and injuries they saw, the victims can cry about how they got their faces mutilated etc..

- [???]

- Try to lump lcs actions in to sprees that can be reported on in the newspaper as such, keep track of achievements in this record and improve the narrative in steps, car chases need news repercussions.

- Hospital condition and procedures described in much greater detail.

- Need more things to publish, and more groups to offend (he he he,
that's vague isn't it...)

- More robust list of issues and laws, it doesn't even cover all of the
ones listed on the ACLU's website.

- Ability to make LCS official uniform and symbol.

- Ability to drag already-taken hostages along to sites for various reasons.

- Ability to grab a person and put a gun to their head to affect the flow of a (potential) firefight, funny conversation stuff to go with that.

- [???]

- Ability to pistol-whip hostages (and have associated reasons for that).

- Mental illnesses from the more fucked up indoctrinations and also as an affect of CIA interrogation/sieges.

- Add age and age effects.

- Police lockers with riot gear, gas masks, gas during sieges, if times are really fucked up and conservative they could use mustard gas during sieges.

- Protests and riots.

- Opera houses, universities, construction sites, hotels (with associated valet lcs actions/uniforms), stadiums, fucked up basements in conservative houses, varied building sizes, elevators, hidden doors in places where it would make sense.

- [???]

- Being about to post bail to get squad people (and random people) out of jail, jumping bail, having court dates that you can go to or not, various associated media stuff surrounding trials that can make it profitable to leave members in custody until the bitter end, but a downside would be having fucked up things happen in jail.

- Keep track of surveys and do graphs.

- Conventions, protests of these (WTO etc.), turnout can be based on public opinion in part.

- Lots of evil constitutional amendments and an ability to view the current state of the constitution, conservatives can clarify portions of the bill of rights.

- [???]

- Ability to file law suits, possibly have law suits filed against you

- Effects of being caught with bloody/damaged clothes.

- Sleeper cops giving more information about raids, get updates on
investigations from them, investigations relating specifically to your
front business.

- Make getting a wheelchair more exciting.

There were more writeups and ideas on paper, but he doesn't have the rest of those.   :( Regardless, there's a lot of great material to work with here, much of which wouldn't take much effort but would contribute to making the game that much cooler.

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:10:03 pm by penguinofhonor »

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

- Add age and age effects.
- Protests and riots.
- Ability to make LCS official uniform and symbol.
- Hospital condition and procedures described in much greater detail.
- Make dating more interesting.
- Police lockers with riot gear, gas masks, gas during sieges, if times are really fucked up and conservative they could use mustard gas during sieges.
- Ability to file law suits, possibly have law suits filed against you

Sounds awesome, although I wonder how the interface could handle it. Divide your LCS into diffrent branches that can run automatically or manually?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

Speculation and ideas on how to make getting a wheelchair more exciting are encouraged, because I'm a bit excited about that one too.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

:D

Honestly, I'd just like the ability to divide my LCS into diffent parts. You know, a Combat Branch, a Recruiting Branch, a Legal/Illegal Fundraising Branch(es, a Law Branch if nessecary.

It'd clear up alot of clutter in the 'A'ctivate menu and Squad Formation menus.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

Like to add stuff I am working on...

A more dynamic system for organizations, and organization interaction.  AKA you can piss off all individual organizations, and they can ask for help from each other, etc.

Also config files.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

Are you adding in more organizations?

This could be cool. What if I pissed off the Cable News by killing a few News Anchors and shooting up the station, and they agreed to help the CIA by shutting down Hippie News, Indepdent News, and Underground News, therefore causing a complete blackout.

I think it'd be intresting if cover-ups only worked with the Conservative station and the indepdent ones would have to be shut down? If you could work with them, offering them protection?

Edit: We might get moddable text files for weapons? Sweet!

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: Little ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Little:
<STRONG> :D

Honestly, I'd just like the ability to divide my LCS into diffent parts. You know, a Combat Branch, a Recruiting Branch, a Legal/Illegal Fundraising Branch(es, a Law Branch if nessecary.

It'd clear up alot of clutter in the 'A'ctivate menu and Squad Formation menus.</STRONG>

One of the things that Puzzlemaker is working on is allowing the LCS to form subsidiary organizations, not just having external ones. This may be able to support your idea and the automation of certain tasks, at least in some form.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »

Well, plan is, for example, if you shoot up a genetics factory, you piss of cable news.  They then might agree to help out another organization that hates you, AKA if you shoot up a research lab.  Then you might find yourself in a situation where when you attack the research lab again, the cable news launches a huge media blitz defending them.

Etc, etc.

Also:  Do Not get your hopes up about the config files.  Config files are hard.

Edit:  Yeah, I forgot to mention sub-organizations you can start and stuff.

[ May 19, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Why would cable news be pissed at a genetics factory being shot up?

It sounds awesome though. What would my interior organizations be able to do?

Would it be possible for a part of my sprawling organization cut all ties with me then strike out on it's own as another Liberal Crime Squad?

Then you could choose to basically ignore them and let them go around(like a liberal, weakened version of the CCS?), ally with them or kill them off(if this was discovered, very negative coverage?).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15