Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Future of the Crime Squad  (Read 22994 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Crime Squad
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2008, 04:37:31 pm »

Well, if you have to train everyone in tactics, that at least counts for something... and if they're just random mules, they may not have the juice for a high Tactics skill. While it wouldn't perforce suddenly make sieges little slices of Hell, they'd at least make the old "grab 40 untrained Hippies with .38s and become invincible" trick infeasible.

I'm less bothered by a squad that's trained and drilled defeating sieges than one that has no preparation or organization doing the same.

Also, we can make Tactics a bit scarcer, and ensure you'll never find any random person with more than 1 or 2 under most circumstances... so the only way to end up with someone  with an 8 or so to train yourself a Hippie hedgehog would be to weather multiple sieges. And at that point, you'd have earned it, if ya ask me.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2008, 05:04:42 pm »

Maybe make a new Arch-Conservative unit. a General or something. He would have high leadership and tactics and could be brainwashed into training your hippies to defeat police seiges. HE could also attack your liberals by giving rousing speeches on patriotism and explaining the importance of national security.

Maybe you could scale the % that an individual in the back could fire by the number of guys you have. You would have a result of diminishing returns the more hippies you have in the back firing. With say, 10, almost all would be firing. With 100, almost nobody would be able to fire in the confusion.

Not that more people in the safehouse would be WORST, but higher numbers would end up being less useful.

The seigers ambushing you and firing first should be implimented as well.

Also was thinking of somehow replicating attacks against your guys from long-distance. A sniper shooting your squad, or a tank firing its main gun or coax at you from two blocks away. Helicopters could attack your squad with nigh-impunity.

Maybe the tactics skill could mitigate the chances these "free" hits could damage your squad. Better grasp of tactics would have your guy moving in cover and manuvering in ways that makes it difficult for a sniper or helicopter to get a clear shot on your sqaud.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2008, 02:14:52 am »

The tactics could contain a tradeoff between the effectiveness of extra fighters and the amount of indirect fire recieved.  In a nutshell: v. loose formation, only your six member squad fires but you don't loose any members to random shelling, airstrikes, snipers, etc.  v. tight formation (human wave) tons of liberals get to fire but casualties from more distant enemies skyrocket.  Then have a few levels in between.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2008, 10:45:59 pm »

The tactics could contain a tradeoff between the effectiveness of extra fighters and the amount of indirect fire recieved.  In a nutshell: v. loose formation, only your six member squad fires but you don't loose any members to random shelling, airstrikes, snipers, etc.  v. tight formation (human wave) tons of liberals get to fire but casualties from more distant enemies skyrocket.  Then have a few levels in between.

I'm Little, and I approve of this message.  8)
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2008, 12:10:50 am »

I'm Little, and I approve of this message.  8)

Y'know, they can fix that. :D

...sorry, I can't resist a cheap shot.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2008, 12:38:52 pm »

Been wanting LCS continued for ages! win! ;D
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]