Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Future of the Crime Squad  (Read 22995 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Crime Squad
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Well for the acquiring a wheelchair currently we have people with their necks broken and unable to move anything but their eyes going out and I guess purchasing wheelchairs.  Could make them either go out and steal the chairs directly from conservative cripples or maybe raid a genetics lab or other place that may have them and steal them and wear them instead of clothes. Perhaps steal them during a police benefit for police killed oppressing the peoples right to make holes in police officers and have a low speed getaway with a wheelchair chase.
  Also I can see the fucked up basement and the make dating more interesting go together.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Attack a para-palgic covention?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Little:
<STRONG>Why would cable news be pissed at a genetics factory being shot up?

It sounds awesome though. What would my interior organizations be able to do?

Would it be possible for a part of my sprawling organization cut all ties with me then strike out on it's own as another Liberal Crime Squad?

Then you could choose to basically ignore them and let them go around(like a liberal, weakened version of the CCS?), ally with them or kill them off(if this was discovered, very negative coverage?).</STRONG>

No, I meant the cable news would defend the genetics factory viciously.

As for the rest of the questions; I have no idea.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 09:32:00 pm »

What will my interior organizations be able to automate, or is it just to cut down on the clutter in menus?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

I can imagine some amusing scenarios involving a legless Liberal sitting outside the safehouse trying to verbally coerce some passer by into giving her a lift to a police retirement benefit and help her steal an electric scooter.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Popping back in a little late to bring up the gender issue again, I'm firmly in the boat that the game should try to mimic reality.

1) Not implemented at all, or
2) Implemented realistically.

The whole "Liberal Gender" thing isn't really as funny as I think you think it is.  I steered clear of saying it the first time, since I wanted to give you a chance to defend it, but I think it sounded like a really stupid idea. ;-)

Gender inequality (particularly wage disparity) would also be an excellent subject for the game.  E.g.:

Arch-Conservative: Women are considered chattel and are not allowed to vote or own property.
Conservative: Women have suffrage, but are still considered inferior to men.
Moderate: Women are legally equal to men, but still draw poor wages.
Liberal: Women are mostly equal to men, with slightly dissimilar incomes.
Elite Liberal: Women are considered perfectly equal to men.

There would be plenty of opportunities for jabs at fierce right-wingers like the Bountiful, B.C. enclave (a Mormon-ish cult where women are considered property and receive arranged marriage) and/or the Islamic terrorist-fundamentalists which require women to hide their faces in public and whatnot.

Gender symbols aren't part of the 32-127 ASCII range, but are part of the 0-127 range.  I used the Unicode symbols for the convenience of the internet, not for the convenience of the game.  Unless pdcurses interprets the symbols as control characters, the VT and FF characters (ASCII 0xB and ASCII 0xC) are printed as male and female gender symbols in codepage 437.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

as an alternative you can use ▲ and ▼ to describe gender (like they do on toilet rooms).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

I agree with most of those points; but I don't really want to touch the Islamic part of it.  Mostly because it's a stereotypical thing to assume; in a lot of Muslim countries, woman have a lot of rights.  I mean, they have had a hell of a lot more woman leaders then America has.  Plus, I think it might just be the flip side of how things are done in America.  I mean, you want something sold, put a half naked woman on it.  That seems a little more sexist, in different ways, then making them cover themselves up.

Also, unless I am mistaken, the Koran gives them the right to vote, or something like that.

And no, I am not Muslim, if you where wondering.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>the Koran gives them the right to vote</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure that Quran doesn't give anyone the right to vote. in fact I will bet you a pair of clean socks that it says something along the lines of "to each his own. To the rulers-rulerish things, to the peasants- peasantish things."

and before you accuse me of anti-islamism, note that the Christian Bible also says stuff like that.

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:13:07 pm by penguinofhonor »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

nah, a wheelchair can be quite the chariot of death if you give it a nice push and an AK-47.  ;)

that being said, a wheelchair-bound person should still get hit every time they are fired at- it doesn't take an Olympic crackshot to hit an object that is stationary or moving at a constant velocity.
in a getaway however they should have the effective agility of [top liberal in the group]-5 (it's on wheels, if you push it- it moves on it's own!)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

JT on gender--

I think it's very funny, but more than that, I think it's very realistic. As I mentioned before, it's not a magical sex change option, it's a matter of a different paradigm on gender and identity. This may not line up with yours, but it's one that's held by many people in the real world, and it's one the LCS would support.

It is actually an important but often overlooked part of the gay rights movement that many people are transsexual and identify as a different gender than the anatomy they were born with. They do, for the most part, have their decisions respected by those around them, but it has been a difficult part of the gay rights movement to even get legislation protecting the right of these people to equal employment opportunity in anti-discrimination laws, and gay rights groups have pulled out of support for otherwise highly favorable legislation because they perceive it as pulling the latter up behind them, and they support GLBT rights, not just GLB and throw the last group under the bus.

The Liberal Crime Squad pushes for these Liberal ideals, the absolute Elite Liberal Agenda, not a more moderate half-way that some would prefer, but the far left wing. That means they have full support of the gay rights movement, including support for the recognition, respect, and equality for transsexuality and transsexual people. It is not simply a matter of humor and a joke, but that this is a fact of life for some people and recognition of people having the right to make decisions about their own gender identity and have others respect that is part of the ideological stance of the LCS.

I have personally known former men who now identify as women, former women who now identify as men, even people who don't identify as either gender, but something different or neither, and have new and different pronouns for their identification which they specifically request others to use in reference to them. Like it or not, changing gender and even defying it completely is a canon part of the LCS's stated ideology and worldview, and I'm not going to take that out because it seems unrealistic to some. The idea that it's just a joke to enable people to make a choice like that and is unrealistic is in fact one of the Conservative ideas that the LCS fights to end. In another time people would have said the same thing about implementing gender realistically to the suggestion of letting people flip a switch in their profile setting sexual orientation.

The fact is, not everyone in this world agrees on everything. You're not going to agree with everything that the LCS believes, and you're not expected to. But for many people this sort of thing is an aspect of life for them, and the LCS fights to represent those people. When I say that I would be okay with adding gender if you could change it in your profile, and that there might be a secret variable tracking your original gender and Conservatives might refuse to acknowledge your new one while Liberals would, I am proposing a more realistic system for gender, and one that adheres more closely to the world as it is seen by the sort of people you play as in this game. You may personally perceive it to be unrealistic that people would have the right to choose their gender identity, but that doesn't mean it's unrealistic for the sort of people you are playing as.

---

Representing M/F--

This may seem stodgy and Conservative, but I don't want to get into putting non-printing characters in text in hopes that they will be printed and not treated as control characters, when that is completely out of my hands as a programmer to enforce. Dwarf Fortress has the luxury of displaying using its own defined character set in OpenGL, but LCS is totally at the mercy of the console it lives in. The Linux and Mac ports don't use the same library and don't use the same console, and as a result, both butcher a lot of the ASCII LCS already uses. They rely on horribly ugly hacks to do things like represent the US Flag as a bunch of tildes and underscores, and that's just so you can understand what you're looking at. When I put a M or an F on the screen I know that it's going to be an M or an F no matter what console, library, and operating system is being used. Given that LCS already suffers from portability issues in its display, I like the security of knowing that what I'm programming is both standard and consistently implemented.

---

Wheelchair--

The game already implements wheelchairs in a pretty reasonable fashion. It's not exciting to get one, that's just a one-line thing that is a real snoozer (you activate->find a wheelchair (replaces steal cars for legless/lower body paralyzed liberals), and the game tells you if they succeeded), but once you have one the game handles it pretty gracefully. How it's implemented now:

1) Wheelchair is currently neither weapon nor armor. It's a special item with its own slot and it's only used if you need it. You need one if you can't walk, but once you have one you can travel in site actions and move around and fight as normal with a squad. Of course, if you don't have command of your arms either, you'll just sit there and look on with authority as others battle far you, but that's another matter.

2) Wheelchair doesn't affect combat, but you'll be sitting on a permanent and juice-immune 1 agility if you are fully body paralyzed. If you can move your upper body but can't move your lower body, or you have no legs, your agility will not be nuked completely, but it'll still be quartered (including juice bonuses), making them easy targets to hit, and attacks will do much more damage as they'll get nice, clean shots in on your wheelchair-bound Liberal to boot.

[ May 21, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

Is there a way to find the gender of a person for now? I mean, when you talk to them I want to know their gender before I tyr to "pick up" them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

Characters in the game don't currently have gender.

(Any appearance otherwise is just because the name generator picks from both male and female names.)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

I've added a door guard to the gentleman's club. He'll let you in if you adhere to the dress code and look presentable (not underage, not covered in blood, not wearing second-rate clothing, not holding an AK-47, not smelling funny because you're a Stinking Liberal, etc..) -- otherwise he'll bar it and stare at you until you leave.

If you start screwing around with the door he'll see you immediately since he's standing there and kick your butt. Or more likely you'll waste him and smash the door in, but either way you're not going to be picking up those pretty CCS Vigilantes hanging out inside without getting shot unless you get by him peacefully.

Right now the gentleman's club allows anyone who looks presentable in, but if you shoot the place up and it goes high security it will be converted to invitation only and he'll always reject you no matter what. You can't bribe the guy just yet but that'll be later.

Also, this system supports future clubs with bouncers at the door, including ones more friendly; it can spawn moderate bouncers that turn conservative if you make trouble or try to force your way into the entrance.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15