Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: suggestion  (Read 12703 times)

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by beorn080:
<STRONG>The way you described it was the same as it previously was.  Still the showing the changes day to day would be helpful I think.</STRONG>

Really?  Maybe I didn't check for opinions in the old version, but I always remembered it as being "<so> searches for opinions" and then getting a report... then a few more actions (like repairing clothes), then another "<so> searches for opinions", etc.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

I meant the screen display.  Before this latest build the opinion screen gave all the categories but left some blank according to skill.  Also if a tank has no support and is sealed it is actually extremely vulnerable to infantry sneaking up on it.  It is possible to destroy a tank by firing a round down its cannon while it has an HE round loaded. Likewise a tank cannon isn't an effective anti infantry weapon. Typically for anti infantry a machine gun is mounted and fired by a guy up top or they simply run them over.  It should probably use tear gas or some other mass weapon instead of a cannon. Not sure how to work that. Perhaps a penelty to health and when they hit 0 they pass out.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Several tanks have machineguns that can be fired while turned in, without needing to expose yourself.  So they do still have anti-infantry capability, but yes, they're still vulnerable, and almost helpless if they can't see anything.

Also, when you free prisoners from the lock-up and then talk to them, you can get a pretty funny dialogue:

quote:
Jun Galindo says,
"The police regularly torture minority suspects during interrogations."

Prisoner responds,
"Only criminals have reason to fear police." <turns>

I know it's a pretty minor case, but it might be worth a quick profession check there and a different message like "Yeah, and I'm going clean, so leave me alone" or something.  ;)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by beorn080:
<STRONG>Also if a tank has no support and is sealed it is actually extremely vulnerable to infantry sneaking up on it.  It is possible to destroy a tank by firing a round down its cannon while it has an HE round loaded. </STRONG>

firing a bullet into the cannon of a tank is really only theoretical. it has to be a large caliber, and you nave to hit the he round as it is fired (unless you expect to pierce right through to the explosive part) or it won't detonate. as for infantry sneaking up on the tank that is very much true, but still involves AT weapons (usually a handheld Anti-tank rocket, but in our case a Molotov would be more appropriate), in a very desperate situation you can climb on the tank (tanks have poor vision, but they are not blind by far, so this is very dangerous) try to open the hatch and kill the crew (again this is usually done with a grenade, but a sub-machine gun will do).
to summarize: we need explosives (explosives are the weapon of the proletariat!)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Mercutio Valentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

Ah, but in another thread, JF mentioned that he wanted to sit on implementing explosives for a while until he's reflected on it enough to do it right. I'm just trying to find a nice stop-gap measure here to make it not seem so... strange in the meantime. :P

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

Riots:

I want to have riots in eventually. Extremely high encounter rate, Liberals in the encounter actually attacking Conservatives, Conservatives randomly fighting back or running away like moderates and Liberals do during alarm now. I would imagine the trigger mechanism for this would involve high interest, an LCS action, and the law on this subject being extremely Conservative.

Tanks:

Eventually I want both molotovs and anti-tank rockets. Anti-tank rockets wouldn't come from the pawn shop -- they would require access to smuggling (the marketplace for illegal weapons) and be extremely expensive, both for the launcher, and for ammunition. They would be one shot per "clip". Molotovs would be a weapon in themselves and would be expended once thrown -- they would have to be manually reloaded. The LCS could make them at any safehouse. The game would have to handle spreading fire before this point. Molotovs wouldn't be able to destroy tanks, but they could cripple them and potentially drive the crew out.

CIA Negotiations:

Once we have negotiators from different groups showing up to talk to you, it'll be straightforward to enable the CIA to eventually come to a settlement with you.

Bribery:

I would like for you to be able to bribe leading figures in particular. At the moment, there aren't any leading figures. Easier would be to allow you to bribe kidnapped persons to act as a sleeper for you even if they don't agree with you. You'd have to pay them monthly, presumably, or they'd rat you out. By this point, I would want two things enabled: Telling sleepers to quit their jobs and come back to work as a normal squaddie, and assassinating your own sleepers if needed.

Polls:

My long term thoughts on polls are to have polls taken weekly or monthly in the background, and have a history of the last 48 polls or so. This would be a fairly large chunk and it would grow the save file considerably, but it wouldn't be too hard to implement. Checking polls will be a page in the Liberal Agenda screen, and you'll get a list of the last percentages, and then be able to select one of them to go into the history and view the previous points on a scatter plot over time.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>

Billy Bob Baird shoots at Police Officer with a AK47!
Billy Bob Baird JUMPS IN FRONT OF THE ATTACK!
Billy Bob Baird hits the body twice.
Billy Bob Baird cries silently for mother,
breathing slowly, then not at all.
Nobody can carry Martyr Billy Bob Baird.
C - Reflect on your Conservative ineptitude</STRONG>

Sigged. Anyway, on the topic of suggestions, I'd like the ability to recruit liberals off the street, and turn them into sleeper agents.  It's only logical that someone already liberal would be happy to influence society more.  Either that, or being able to kidnap existing liberals and sleeper them easier would be fun, IMO.
Just my two cents.

You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

Billy Bob Baird shoots at Police Officer with a AK47!
Billy Bob Baird JUMPS IN FRONT OF THE ATTACK!
Billy Bob Baird hits the body twice.
Billy Bob Braid reveals his identity as superman.
Billy Bob Braid flies away
C- reflect on what the hell just happened   :confused:
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sithlordz:
<STRONG>

Sigged. Anyway, on the topic of suggestions, I'd like the ability to recruit liberals off the street, and turn them into sleeper agents.  It's only logical that someone already liberal would be happy to influence society more.  Either that, or being able to kidnap existing liberals and sleeper them easier would be fun, IMO.
Just my two cents.</STRONG>

Alas, sleeper agents represent moles on the inside of Conservative society. A lifelong Liberal has no place in such dark company.

There was the idea of being able to plant your people as sleepers by having them apply for jobs, having it be risky, no criminal record, need minimum wisdom to convince them you're real, etc... as long as there's a mechanic for it, and a justification, I'm not 100% opposed to the idea. But the way sleepers work now, it's not presently reasonable to make Liberal recruits into sleepers. I might pick this idea back up when sleepers are more risky though.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sithlordz:
<STRONG>being able to kidnap existing liberals and sleeper them easier would be fun, IMO.</STRONG>

young man is sitting on a chair, tied to it. He has been stitting here for half hour and has calmed down.

enter interrogator

interrogator:Microsoft! he hits young man
young man: ow! what was that for?
interrogator: Microsoft!
young man: ow. why do you keep saying that?
interrogator:because Microsoft is evil.
young man: ow. I know. I use Linux. and Open Office.
interrogator: oh... he pauses his rhythmic punches... well then
interrogator:L'Oreal!
young man:I'm a man.
interrogator:Ford?
young man: devoted bus user.
interrogator:well... um... McDonalds?
young man:not really.
interrogator:I think we should talk about liberal politics.
young man:does that involve hitting me?
interrogator:no.
young man:great. I support the green party, who did you vote for?
interrogator: well actually... I was busy trashing the police station.
young man:then you are responsible for the current oppressive regime!
interrogator:I... I have to go.
exit interrogator
after a few seconds young man shrugs, and starts humming some obscure tune

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

K. Perhaps the second idea wasn't one of my best. >.>

One other thing, shouldn't Mithril Mail be capable of absorbing more damage? I mean, if it's really mithril..

[ February 18, 2008: Message edited by: Sithlordz ]

You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.
Pages: 1 2 [3]