Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Teaching?  (Read 12687 times)

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>Speaking of slight of hand... we need a use for it. >_></STRONG>

Pickpocketing?

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

Might be good to do the food checks before the teaching checks.  I've had the whole "send everyone away due to lack of cash" thing too.

It's a bit random when you're trying to spend more on teaching than you're making, because sometimes there's enough residual after teaching to support everyone, and sometimes there's not, and that's when you get booted out.

(Edit:  'Rent checks' -> 'food checks'... teaching doesn't leave that much residual.  :D)

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Wisq ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 12:16:00 am »

I agree the food should be deducted before training, but that's nontrivial. Food is embedded in the siege code, as that's where the existing food stashes are deducted. Training is part of the activity code, which is where your income comes. If you move siege before activity, it only exacerbates the problem by not allowing you to use new income on food at all. Which means that either training has to be removed from activity handling, which is not an ideal situation, or food has to be removed from siege and inserted, oddly and unintuitively, into activity code. Best case would probably be to calculate the $X grocery bill before activities, but not apply it yet. Then, don't allow training to drain the last $X. Finally, deduct the grocery bill.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>

Pickpocketing?</STRONG>

Under illegal fundraising?

Johnny Cash pickpocketed a rich Conservative and found 100$ in his wallet!

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

One other question about teaching, is it possible for liberals to piggyback off each other? One teaching the other, and the other teaching the first in the same area to raise up skills?
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

No, it is not possible for liberals to piggyback in teaching. The student must be less skilled than the teacher (possibly two levels less skilled, I don't remember). Once they are equally skilled, neither can teach the other anything.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

Aw. Running out and killing people seems to be my only way to get higher sword skill then. Good ol' fashioned booklearnin' ain't gonna cut it here.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>No, it is not possible for liberals to piggyback in teaching.</STRONG>

then there should be training.

this is especially easy to understand in the case of sword fights as suggested by shitlordz: as two people spar, both will gain proficiency, and the one with less skill will gain more of it (because the better one is not being challenged enough).

this is true of most things: if two people engage in mock trial, for example, they will read legal books and gain skill.

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>
shitlordz</STRONG>

-.-

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

I'm concerned that if you don't cap the amount of learning that can be done at your base to what the teacher can teach, you won't need to actually *do* anything to get good at it. RPGs always emphasize killing monsters to get good with your sword... you don't sit around and do exercises all day in a cave to reach level 20. Granted, LCS splits juice and skill level, but I'm still a bit skeptical of unlimited skill level.

I wouldn't be adverse to self-study for continuous improvement if skill is capped at the stat, not at twice the stat. So you can't get 20 sword from sitting at home sparring with your agility 10 founder, but you can get 10. As it is, you don't usually hit the cap very often, so the incentive would be to stay there until you get insanely good at something. If the caps were lower, you could actually get very good, but even if your starting stats are really high, you'd still have reason to go out and get juice doing something real as part of your training.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

Speaking of easy training, currently going to a multi floor apartment and unlocking all the doors (but never going in them) is zero risk juice, assuming you wait until no one is looking.  Probably should do something about that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I wouldn't be adverse to self-study for continuous improvement if skill is capped at the stat, not at twice the stat. So you can't get 20 sword from sitting at home sparring with your agility 10 founder, but you can get 10. As it is, you don't usually hit the cap very often, so the incentive would be to stay there until you get insanely good at something. If the caps were lower, you could actually get very good, but even if your starting stats are really high, you'd still have reason to go out and get juice doing something real as part of your training.</STRONG>

well first of all, studying still costs an arm and a leg. and I never found that bit convincing in RPGs, the way you spend several yeras of your life training for something and then after a day of doing it for real you're suddenly 5 times better at it.  :eek:
I think it would be fair to:
make self teaching skills cap at half stat. and be learned at half the speed of a 0 level teacher.
make classroom teaching cap at stat. (it would be logical to make exception for cooking, law and such, but not necesary).
but also have teachers gain skills up to cap at quarter (or half) speed (as result of refreshing subjects as she prepares the lesson, and gaining new insight from observing student's approaches)

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

One other thing.  I know this is off topic, but it's my topic so sod you all :P.

Anyway, if your LCS leader is scheduled for execution, maybe any sleepers you have should make an effort to save him/her? You control the group of 6, you can re-organize your squad like in a siege, only you're attacking.  If your leader is broken out of the police station/courthouse, they'll join your squad and you've gotta get the hell out of there.  Maybe there should be an option to re-locate like if you escape from a siege, or to stay and fight.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

Another "eventually" is to do more or less just that -- have your founder be sprung from prison, be it a life sentence or death penalty, by either ex-squaddies led by a high juice person or some new blood who have decided to bring back the LCS by rescuing its old leader. You'd basically start somewhere in the prison with a fully armed six-person squad (including founder in a prison jumpsuit and a weapon according to the founder's top weapon skill, provided by the liberators), the alarm on, and a bunch of prisoners standing there. You have to escape the building and then you'll all regroup at the homeless shelter.

Mercutio Valentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Fuck, take it a step further. Let you "liberate" these prisoners as well, except have them have a chance of making it to back to the LCS. People being broken out of prison who're life sentence or death is big freakin' news, and if you let that many prisoners go, some might be curious about the people that let them escape.

Or not. :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3