Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engraver/blacksmith goes into fey mood and becomes a legendary engraver  (Read 10626 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile

He created a stone harp and became a legendary engraver. His skills before were competant engraver and no title blacksmith.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraver/blacksmith goes into fey mood and becomes a legendary engraver
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:42:11 pm »

I had a legendary tanner via the same process, but with leatherworking.

I wonder what else we can make happen like this...
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:35:05 pm »

Engraving is modd-worthy because you can engrave images on artifacts.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Moods#Skills_and_workshops

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:33:28 pm »

How is this a bug? The highest skill provides the artifact.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:49:19 am »

And if it is a bug, it isn't new.  My first 5 or 6 artifacts were made by engravers.

On the other hand, my two now legendary Armorsmiths had a higher Furnace operator skill before they went fey.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:44 am »

my both last moods where furnace operators. one became a wood crafter and the other one a bone crafter.
to me it seems that all dwarfs can become stone/wood/bone crafters, no mater what skills they have. even childs.
for me about 80% of all moods ar crafter moods.
i think this kind of sucks. i dont want my armorers make me braceletts all the time :/

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 12:19:48 pm »

my both last moods where furnace operators. one became a wood crafter and the other one a bone crafter.
to me it seems that all dwarfs can become stone/wood/bone crafters, no mater what skills they have. even childs.
for me about 80% of all moods ar crafter moods.
i think this kind of sucks. i dont want my armorers make me braceletts all the time :/
That's not a bug; only some skills can have fey moods (the wiki can list them all, but furnace operating is one of them). If a dwarf with no moodable skill goes fey, they go to a craftdwarf workshop and become a legendary bone/wood/stone crafter.
If this bugs you, try and train up every skill-free dwarf in an applicable skill (weapon crafting is popular),
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:22:05 pm by Skizelo »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »

Engraving is modd-worthy because you can engrave images on artifacts.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Moods#Skills_and_workshops

Draco is right, engravers will just go and claim a craftdwarf's or mason's workshop and then become a legendary engraver, because you can engrave images onto items.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:35:17 pm »

No.  It chooses their highest skill, and if that doesn't have an associated workshop (ala engraving) automatically assigns them a different artifact type but not a different skill.  If they don't have any skills, they get assigned one from the craftsdwarf shop.  Which is why so many of them turn up there.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 08:54:57 pm »

im verry sure i had furnacors went bonecarvers...

whatever. i sayed it before and i will say it again:
dwarfs shuld not went moody with a skill wehere they are not have at last some expirience with, untill its a possession.
where shuld they take the inspiraion from?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:15:54 pm »

im verry sure i had furnacors went bonecarvers...

whatever. i sayed it before and i will say it again:
dwarfs shuld not went moody with a skill wehere they are not have at last some expirience with, untill its a possession.
where shuld they take the inspiraion from?

Uh.  What?
Let me run Firefox over that and see what I can come up with.
I'm very sure I had furnace operators who went bone carvers...

Whatever. I said it before and I'll say it again:
Dwarfs should not went moody with a skill where they are not have at last some experience with, until its a possession.
where should they take the inspiration from?
The true meaning still eludes me.
But anyway:
No.  It chooses their highest skill, and if that doesn't have an associated workshop (ala engraving) automatically assigns them a different artifact type but not a different skill.  If they don't have any skills, they get assigned one from the craftsdwarf shop.  Which is why so many of them turn up there.
Workshop in that statement implies creation of an object.  Smelters don't have creation except for specified materials.  What would an artifact be if the materials were specified as such?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:17:56 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 09:23:33 pm »

hm. looks if my english failed me ^^

lets try to say it with other words.
when a dwarf wents moody, he is going to make a unique pice or art. until its a possesion, the inspiration to make this artwork comes out of his own imagination. if its a possesion , a god gains posession over his mind.

now, if it is a non-possesion mod, the dwarf has to be inspired to make this artwork. i wuld think, that if this dwarf has no skill, ther wuld be nothing where this inspiration comes form...

like me: i got no coding skills... i´m not toady. where shuld a inspiration come  from to make a masterwork dwarf simulatior?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 04:10:38 am »

So basically he'd prefer if unskilled peasants didn't get fey moods at all

spiderik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

My miner just created Golden Table Artifact (no complaints here, hehe) but he became Legendary Miner. I thought mining is not mood-skill. He was good at mining before (about 12 not sure here and he ended up with 18). He did not get any other skills (masonry is 1, metalcrafting 0).

The question is: Bug or Feature?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My miner just created Golden Table Artifact (no complaints here, hehe) but he became Legendary Miner. I thought mining is not mood-skill. He was good at mining before (about 12 not sure here and he ended up with 18). He did not get any other skills (masonry is 1, metalcrafting 0).

The question is: Bug or Feature?

Mining has been moodable since before 40d.  Whether this is intended behavior or not, I do not know.  I suspect there is a toady post about it somewhere.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: [1] 2