Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having a lot of trouble with a site...  (Read 923 times)

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having a lot of trouble with a site...
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:47:46 pm »

I've been spamming generating worlds and the new 'find location' feature on the embark screen, but I just can't seem to find any GOOD site in which to build a LASTING Fortress. I want one that I can work on and expand for a loooong time, with no end in sight. Every location is just plain bad, or even if it has the resources, the terrain is screwed up or there aren't neighboring civs ect.

I'm basically looking for this sort of thing:
Magma (pipe, not pool, preferably visible from surface)
Cave River (not pool, again preferably visible from surface)
Flux
Decent amounts of Iron/other metals, this one is not a big deal, I can always import some.
Neighboring civs, all of them.
A flat(ish) grassland w/ trees right outside the fortress, which should be built into a cliff (think 2d version, something like that)
I'd like for it to be in a savage/terrifying location for more challenge, but its not a big deal
A Chasm
Don't care about HFS.

Does anyone have a location of this sort they would be willing to share? If so, I'd be deeply appreciative. I'm using version 40c right now.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Having a lot of trouble with a site...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:57 pm »

You and every other person playing the game.

Good seeds are generally posted to the wiki.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:03:15 am »

Be willing to accept giving up one or two of those criteria and you'll probably find a site quite quickly that you'll enjoy.

The trick to finding a good site isn't trying to hunt down 'the perfect area', it's just to find a fun, unique area, accept that it's lacking some things, and roll with it.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:22:48 am »

With my current fort I wanted a river and iron ore, but all I got was seasonal ponds and a magma pipe.

Thankfully, I import iron ore, so I can roll with it.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59:49 am »

I found it much easier to use the site finder to get a sedimentary layer plus magma after removing the flux token from marble. Now, it would be more useful if I could find the dratted magma supposedly at my current site... I think it must be like 10 z-levels down and on the other side of the map from my fort. :P (And worse, the sedimentary layer seems to be chock full of copper and not a spot of iron in sight.)
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:02:43 am »

i had one in 40a that was very similar to that (but river wasnt visible at start), yet i could not trade for bauxite! it seems that one of the more interesting limits of the new version, you get some real limits on what you can trade for, a fact which is not obvious until the first autumn you conduct a meeting. i have taken to including a couple bauxite stones in my embark list now because of it for magma maps.

another criteria to consider, is how big does the map have to be to have all this stuff, and how far apart are the vital parts? my current fort is a 12x12, with magma in the NE corner. it took a good long while to power up my forges close to everything else, even after i dug a tunnel long enough to bring the magma to me. if you go 16x16 in a mountain, you can guarantee yourself some fun stuff, but that tends to be a bit too large for most computers to run quickly.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:16:53 am »

Theres an interesting location that, while not having everytime, would be a great one for having "fun" for awhile. Refer to this topic.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23758.15