Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS: Inaccessible map areas (fixed)  (Read 3661 times)

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS: Inaccessible map areas (fixed)
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

I'm current running the latest SVN checkout, and I'm wondering -- was level map generation modified recently?

There's a lot of maps that have completely inaccessible areas, including my own base.  In fact, I started in one of these areas (a 3x3 cross), so my squad was trapped; I had to escape by using GDB and setting SITEBLOCK_EXIT on one of the (only) five walkable squares.

Some other areas where I have the maps, like the crack houses, have only a small accessible portion of the map, and the rest is just a mass of tunnels I can't get to.

Is this new, or did I just not notice this in earlier versions?

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Wisq ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS: Inaccessible map areas (fixed)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

Nice catch, I literally JUST found and fixed this bug, and commited the change!

This was a fun one, in a very strange and mind-boggling way. I did some modification of map generation to support everything being made secure by default, instead of vice versa -- at one point I accidentally deleted two lines of code in the generateroom function and when I put them back, two variables were switched. I didn't realize this until I went into a police station where you can get two steps in and then you're stuck. NICE POLICE STATION. Then I started looking at maps and they were getting totally mauled! Eventually tracked it down and fixed it, and it's working now -- update to the latest revision and it should be fine.  :D

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

Cool, works now.  My crackhouses just contain druggies, rather than looking like they were designed by one . . .   :D

Edit: Moved remainder to more appropriate thread.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:08:00 am »

Maybe?  Even if that's true, the Day of the Recruitment Cap is coming, which will turn those Liberal fodder into valuable resources.  Better to lose them than your founder/captain/first mate/vice president/insert-title-here, but better still to lose none.

Nice job moving half your post there, buddy.  :P

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

True enough.  And there is a decent stat minimum to qualify as fodder, meaning you can't just throw juiceless newbs in front to save yourself.

Edit: Yeah, sorry.  I waffled for a bit before moving it... didn't want to hijack my own thread when it was already being discussed in the 'suggestion' thread.  :D

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

Guess what I just discovered?  :)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

Heheheh, yeah, I think I remember cleaning up all the scoping problems with for loops early on. It's definitely a yellow flag that one cropped up all of the sudden, since I know not to abuse that "feature".  ;)