Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recruitment and Community Service  (Read 3134 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Recruitment and Community Service
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

When you recruit someone with simple persuasion and ask them to do community service, does it actually boost your organization's public standing?

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment and Community Service
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

By my undestanding, yes. Less so then other activities but it is legal and free.
You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

if I understand Hague correctly, he asked if the actions you ask people to do during recruitment (activism, aggressive activism, minor crime) counts towards your  reputation. As far as I can tell it doesn't.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

At the moment, no. In the next release, you won't be sending people to do community service (I'm continuing to experiment with how recruiting works; the way it is now is just an initial experiment and this will be another draft). One idea Puzzlemaker mentioned was the possibility of sending people to do community service because they need to have a certain amount of very high heart compared to wisdom in order to join, and most likely don't have that -- so you send them to help out and their wisdom points are converted into heart. Heart and wisdom would never be added through things like music and persuasion-based combat and dating, just converted back and forth between eachother. At first you might send people to do community service with an outside group, and then be able to go in and check up on people helping out there later for possible recruitment. Later you might start your own group, with its community service agenda involving a healthy heaping of propaganda at the start of the day to speed conversion and radicalization. There's still a lot of options for how to do recruiting and I'd like to try several different ways to find which ones turn out to be most fun and cool.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

I don't like that idea, actually.  One of the nice things I like about LCS is that wisdom is practically impossible to lower.. this allows for a lot more serious and significant gameplay, because it allows individuals to effectively take permanent damage.  I don't see the LCS being a group of one-off superheroes.  Having wisdom gains possibly lead to defections and very BAD THINGS would keep it gritty.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

Hm, I can see your point. One thing I'm trying to reconcile is the ability to reduce people's wisdom in the recruitment process/increase their juice but not do the same to your own people. During interrogation it makes sense, but otherwise it's odd that you can increase their heart and liberalize people with a wink of an eye and a jam on the guitar but you can't to your own people.

a1s suggested an alternative to Juice for Conservatives. Having that would let you, instead of acting on stats, manipulate their juice. Negative juice for conservatives could damage their Wisdom temporarily, and perhaps converting them then would enable you to pin their Wisdom to that level and wipe out their negative juice otherwise. But this is just one way of thinking about it and I'm not sure how best to approach things.