Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 3451 times)

alex_n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: August 08, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

Do animals sleep?  I haven't watched them for long, but haven't seem them doing it (and speaking of doing it, do they breed?).

Made a large town hall which promptly collapsed (killing several dwarves).  Would leaving a couple of support blocks around the room help? What about re-inforcing them?  Or was this a complete random effect (like the one where bedroom was filled with miasma)?

Brass.  I've encountered a veins of metal for "brass-making", and "copper".  As far as I know brass is an alloy of copper and zink.  Since copper is also a metal you can mine, I assume this was done for simplicity's sake (which is pretty weird, in DF), yes?

(spell-checks are for elves!)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:55:00 pm »

I think I took sleeping out for them, but don't remember -- that was part of making them not eating your food until I add grazing.  They do breed, although it's not graphically represented.

Support blocks help.  You can either leave behind a square, or add a support after.  7x7 is the bad size.

Room filled with miasma because something was rotting in there, possibly food, vermin a pet killed, vermin squashed in door, outdoor refuse pile is the key.

Metal for "brass-making" is a zinc ore.  You have to combine it with copper ore to make brass.  He he he...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

alex_n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

Breeding for the win.  Grazing definately sounds like an interesting addition.

I like large halls and such things, might as well support them with colonnades (detailed stone blocks look like it). Speaking of which, would buildings be destroyed in a cave-in?

What would have happened if all my dwarves were sleeping in the miasma filled room (damn cats!)?

Yea, didn't have time to find out about the brass making process due to the aforementioned cave-in taking out a couple of principal dwarves.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »

Miasma just make dwarves unhappy, because it smells.  It doesn't cause any afflictions at the moment.

Cave-ins destroy buildings.

I wonder if this thread should be in the new dwarves forum.  The topic moving ability seems busted.

alex_n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:52:00 pm »

Indeed it should be!

Didn't even see it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

I guess you have some reading to do.