Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: System Shock  (Read 4534 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: System Shock
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »

Hell its got better plot than all of the stuff I have on my desktop combined (except you UFO Defense and Tactics Ogre; I will always love you guys the most).
So you don't have Half-Life? :P
Never played the original. Its hard to get my hands on some of these things when I'm playing on a Mac y'know (hey I wasn't even the one who bought it okay)?
Both HL1 and HL2 have GREAT plots.

As tempted as I am to play HL2 (I bought orange box) I only ever ended up playing Portal and Team Fortress 2. I don't know if it's just me, but I have a HORRIBLE inbred fear of those headcrabs. I am more scared of those damn headcrabs than I am of Amnesia and other terribly scary games, not that I've liked 'scary' games in general.
Aww, but HL2 has kinder, gentler headcrabs. One of the scientists even has one as a pet!  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:58 am »

Hell its got better plot than all of the stuff I have on my desktop combined (except you UFO Defense and Tactics Ogre; I will always love you guys the most).
So you don't have Half-Life? :P
Never played the original. Its hard to get my hands on some of these things when I'm playing on a Mac y'know (hey I wasn't even the one who bought it okay)?
Both HL1 and HL2 have GREAT plots.

As tempted as I am to play HL2 (I bought orange box) I only ever ended up playing Portal and Team Fortress 2. I don't know if it's just me, but I have a HORRIBLE inbred fear of those headcrabs. I am more scared of those damn headcrabs than I am of Amnesia and other terribly scary games, not that I've liked 'scary' games in general.
Don't worry mate, there are no vent scenes where you get headcraP suprise like HL1. Though there's something far more !!FUN!!.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:37 am »

System shock 2 was pretty awesome.  It does a really good job of making you feel helpless and afraid, especially playing on hard.
I set off an alarm once, and hid in a little room, and could hear all the zombies (and monkeys) looking for me.  The way the zombies talk to themselves is pretty spooky.

The fact that you never have enough ammo, stimpacks, or nanites (basically money) adds to the effect.

You can get it running on a modern system, but sometimes it takes some doing.  I had to downgrade my graphics card driver to get it going. My brothers just fired it right up in windows 7 and played no problem...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 09:45:30 am »

SS2 had fantastic use of sound to heighten tension. One little innocent monkey squeak in a jumbled room was enough to make you freeze in a cold sweat. Or Cyborg Midwives -- to this day one of the most terrifying enemies I've ever seen in a game. I mean, even beyond the body horror and creepy voice modulation....they were fast, tough to kill, hit like a freight train, and often came at you from the direction you weren't looking.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:49 pm »

Yeah, a lot of stuff could kill you really fast in that game.  The sound was just excellent.  You'd be hacking a terminal or something, then suddenly "Hurry! RUN!" As a zombie came up behind you and whacked you with a lead pipe.  While Xerxes talked about the schedule for the day over the intercom or something. 

The big reveal was pretty cool when it was new, followed by a pretty creepy scene.

When I played it last, I had to keep saving every 10 seconds and lower the difficulty to normal, because I just couldn't take the tension... I'm such a wimp, I hate horror movies and horror games, but this game was so good I had to play it anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3]