Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skill Raising Questions:  (Read 3047 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Skill Raising Questions:
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

How do you raise certain skills?

I can't seem to get stealth to raise or be used at all. What exactly triggers it's use?

Also, how do you raise skills like Law, Science, Business and Gangsterism outside of teaching?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Raising Questions:
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:15:27 pm by penguinofhonor »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

You raise stealth when you move around with an imperfect disguise. I generally find that disguise is much more useful.

Law can be raised through getting arrested or talking to the jury in the courthouse.

Science can be raised by interrogating someone who uses science as a defense. For this to work you need to with hold the drugs though as they bypass that defense mechanism. This probably works for business and gangsterism as well, although I haven't tested it.

Ganagsterism should be able to be raised by selling browies too.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Yeah, my founder interrogated a buisness guy. Couldnt do anything with him but he raised his buisness skill to 1.99+ where it capped, i guess because of intelligence.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:15:31 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Business and Religion are based on Wisdom, yeah. Law and Science are based on Intelligence.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

I believe Stealth increases in one of two circumstances:

1) You are out of disguise or walking around a complex with an illegal weapon, or
2) You have performed a Liberal crime, which exercises Stealth until the deed is discovered.

I'd have to look at the source to say this definitively, though, and I'm too lazy to do that right now. ;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 01:55:00 am »

Stealth triggers any time that you could use a disguise roll, but your disguise roll is worse than your stealth roll. If you have no stealth skill, your stealth roll is a rock bottom 1, always. In other words, if your Liberals can't sneak, they don't bother trying.

However, all is not lost. If you want to develop a little stealth skill, try stripping naked and streaking in public. The embarrassment of it all might cause your people to start going into stealth mode and develop some stealth skill. Or maybe it's the -100 disguise you get from being nude. One of those two.   ;)

Note that while disguise is generally a more powerful skill, having both very high is very good, as you'll only be spotted when both rolls fail.

[ May 22, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>Business and Religion are based on Wisdom, yeah. Law and Science are based on Intelligence.</STRONG>

On that note, it'd be nice if attribute-based skill caps didn't all fall under one attribute.  Using an average of two or more might better fit certain skills.  Hand to hand could be split between Strength and Agility (Strength-only seems to imply straight brawling/grappling, completely ignoring other unarmed styles).  Business could be split between Intelligence and Wisdom.  Religion might be 2/3 Wisdom, 1/3 Heart, assuming Religion is not strictly Fundamentalist Christian Religion (a Zen guru might have a better shot at converting an Arch-Conservative priest than just any old hippie would).  That sort of thing.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

Okay, that's easily done.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

Use your best judgment as to what skills you divide amongst which attributes and how.  I just offered the best examples I could come up with in two minutes.

Simon Wolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://drsleepless.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

I actually finally stopped being a lurker and registered, just to ask this question:

I'm having a really difficult time raising Disguise. And by raise, I mean "create". I can get stealth really, really easily, but Disguise never seems to get any boost. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

Get an expensive suit and unequip your weapon. Then go to the gentlemens club, find a few conservatives, and just hold the wait button for a loooong time. It got my disguise to 15 or so very quickly.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Simon Wolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://drsleepless.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

Okay, I tried doing that, but the bouncer wouldn't let me in - I assume I haven't got a stat or skill requirement that you need?

So I head to the police station, dressed in a police uniform (keep in mind that this guy's Stealth is at 11). He goes into the restricted area, and I wait until an officer comes along, aaaaand... nothing. I waited, holding S, until the Conservatives Suspicious thing came up.

I checked, not a single point to Disguise.

The officer was noticing me, too - that "Police Officer looks at you suspiciously" came up a bundle.

Again, is there something I'm missing? Because I'm really being thrown for a loop.

EDIT: Repeated at Garment Factory in a security uniform - no changes to Disguise, despite repeated contact with guards.

EDIT II: Okay, this is getting weird. It seems as though everyone except my Founder can gain Disguise through the methods I've already tried, but there's absolutely no change in disguise for the Founder.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Simon Wolf ]

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Simon Wolf ]

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 01:30:00 am »

I think that LCS uses either stealth or disguise, which ever is higher. You're at the point where stealth is much higher than disguise so it won't get raised. The solution is to raise your founders disguise skill outside of site action(though teaching) so that disguise become higher than stealth.
Pages: [1] 2