Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Mythical Almost Invincible Battle Founder  (Read 13147 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Mythical Almost Invincible Battle Founder
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

The green-on-green is a bit hard to read.  Maybe a dark blue for "SQUAD"?

I'm sure you have ideas, but (park) BENCH could replace the TABLE of latte stands.

Glad to see I could have an impact on development!

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

wait... yours has tables? mine doesn't. how could this be?  :eek:
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>wait... yours has tables? mine doesn't. how could this be?   :eek:</STRONG>

Sorry, I meant theoretical tables like the ones the latte stands have now.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

:o Latte stands don't have tables?

News to the programmer...    :D

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Update on the experimental color scheme: After further experimentation, I think I've decided to pull back on the color fill, and stick with a basic scheme of having little green periods for grass and leaving everything else blank. But I am replacing the xxxx of restricted area with a DF-like ++++. It just looks better.

Will leave the experiment up for people to check out and comment on still.   ;)

Also, I'm leaving in some of the code changes made to support that kind of color fill, so it'll be doable in the future if we want to put it in.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 12:30:00 am »

How about little green dots everywhere?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

This is what I have now:

Green dots is grass, black is path.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

I influenced development!   :)    :eek:
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 01:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>

Well, what about making guitars held by skilled musicians a sort of 'weapon' that worked like the opposite of a newscaster's smile, lowering wisdom or raising heart and turning the person you're attacking with it into a liberal or at least a moderate who could then be recruited? (I guess you'd need high persuasion too.)</STRONG>

The moment I read this idea, I knew I had to add it to the came. It is now done for the next release! You can buy guitars (and spraycans, which currently are a horrible weapon, but roll "burn" attacks on your art skill  :D Once they're converted, they'll run away like any other bystanders during an alarm situation.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

Does converting people to Liberals actually have an effect outside the battle map?

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

I don't know if it still applies, since you're still making changes, but this part of the code doesn't work on my Linux system:

code:
 for(int px2=px;px2<px+7;px2++)
{
  for(int py2=py;py2<py+5;py2++)
  {
     move(py2,px2);
     addch(CH_FULL_BLOCK);
  }
}

I end up with very weird results: PNG image.  That's a pic three steps in to an apartment complex.

Interestingly, if I put a window overtop my terminal emulator, then pull it away, things refresh, and I find myself looking at something that looks like a regular pre-expermental-patch complex, except that the hallway is all gray, rather than black with gray walls.

If I replace CH_FULL_BLOCK with e.g. '#', things look like they used to.

Edit:  Things look better if I surround the double-for loop with "if (backcolour || blink) { ... }".  This is the result.  Parks look like this.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Wisq ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

Wisq -- Wow. That's... impressive. Honestly, the Linux port has many display problems compared to the Windows version. That is good to keep in mind. Fortunately, I'm not using the block fill anymore, so hopefully it'll be okay.

Edit: Saw your edit. Nice fix, that's how it should look.

Little -- nope, no actual effect outside battle. It's basically a way to defeat your enemies without actually fighting/killing them. You don't influence public opinion by doing it though, because it's not newsworthy.

---

Added active graffiti. You can now walk up to a wall with a spraycan equipped as one of your crew's weapons and spray graffiti on the walls.

:D)

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 02:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>Wisq -- Wow. That's... impressive. Honestly, the Linux port has many display problems compared to the Windows version. That is good to keep in mind.</STRONG>

Weird, considering ncurses is used much more widely than PDCurses.  You'd think they'd have worked out the weird bugs -- like writing black full-block characters with a black background to a black terminal, and having ncurses conspire with the terminal emulator to make things "terminally" messed up.   :D

Note that even with my fix, the output is still a little different on a Linux virtual console.  The "EXIT" signs have the right background, but it's black around them.

I managed to get everything to work correctly by doing this:

code:
else if(levelmap
  • [y][z].flag & SITEBLOCK_OUTDOOR)
    {
      set_color(COLOR_WHITE,COLOR_BLACK,1,1);
      backcolor=COLOR_BLACK;
      blink=1;
    }
    else
      set_color(COLOR_BLACK,COLOR_BLACK,0);

for(int px2=px;px2<px+7;px2++)
    {
      for(int py2=py;py2<py+5;py2++)
      {
         move(py2,px2);
         addch(' ');
      }
    }

The key difference is that I'm printing white blinking spaces, instead of bold black full-blocks.  Both terminals are happy with that.  I haven't tested how that would work with the park tiles, but I'm assuming that green-blink or green-background would work.

Just FYI in case this helps in the future.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Wisq ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 02:48:00 am »

A lot of it may be LCS -- there are some significant 'hacks' in the graphics implementation. The Linux port is particularly poor at handling blocks, for example... compare the flag you fly in the two versions and marvel at the tattered edge on the Linux flag.  :D

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

I've investigated getting UTF-8 output working on Linux, and linked against ncursesw (wide character support), but can't for the life of me get it to output any extended characters.  I'll ask my local Linux user's group, but I'm not holding my breath.

Obviously, if I ever got this working, it would need to switch between UTF-8 mode and fake-CP437 mode (pure ASCII) based on the locale settings, but that's doable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4