Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Mythical Almost Invincible Battle Founder  (Read 13255 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: The Mythical Almost Invincible Battle Founder
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 05:51:00 am »

Graffiti will now still be there on a site when you come back later. Previously the game didn't support permanent changes to sites, because everything was regenerated from a map seed. Now, it regenerates the map, then goes over a log of changes and applies them on a tile-by-tile basis. The next version won't be compatible with saves from previous versions.

One notable change from this is that walls demolished by tanks will now STAY demolished. Permanently. If your safehouse is smashed up by tanks, you're stuck with it like that.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Made graffiti affect the number of people who know about the Liberal Crime Squad; it has a sleeper-like effect. Graffiti in places with relatively high security, like police stations and nice apartments, is more effective, but gets cleaned up at the end of the month. Graffiti in places like crack houses or public parks is less effective in the short term, but will end up lasting much longer and having a much greater effect over the long run.

As part of the shift in how public opinion works, I'm thinking about changing what the "number of people who know about the LCS" really represents... it's kind of pointless because it's a number that really just goes up. I'm thinking about making it something like "number of people who are afraid of the LCS" or something like that, but rather, something that indicates that they respect your power. They can love you or hate you (there's a separate scale for that), but that statistic shows how many people think you're a big deal. If people don't respect your power, you won't have very much influence, and if you don't continually make your presence felt, they won't respect your power. That's the kind of feel I'm going for.

Also expanded the power of liberals to use alignment-based attacks; now if you seduce News Anchors, CEOs, Eminent Scientists, Radio Personalities, or Judges, they will continue to use their special attacks on your side.

Plus, I witnessed the first spontaneous body shield action while testing this; my judge jumped in front of my founder as a police officer fired her shotgun, and my judge was killed instantly. That same blow would have otherwise hit and probably killed my founder, but instead, my founder got out alright.    :D

Additional tweaks include extending the time something is "too hot" to 1-2 weeks, and changing the label to "closed down" instead of "too hot". But, it's now only triggered if you really smashed the place up or commited a whole slew of crimes, not just any time you cause alarm. High security, which previously only expired if you sent a site into "too hot", will now expire on its own after a couple of months on average. It will still expire if you manage to close a site down.

[ February 16, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

Interesting. It seems you're aiming to make this game run on a lot longer than it does now, which can already be quite a while. I'm guessing your idea on revamping public opinion and things like that are going to vastly change the game, and in the aspect of increasing high security and closed down times, reduce the amount of activism you can do.

Considering how things are now unless you have a fairly large organization, which is a bit of a pain in the ass just to keep doing what you want it to, the public opinion and legislation acted upon certainly leans out of your favor fairly quickly.

So, how are you planning on making it all fit together now that some of the newer changes are widening the timeline of the game a bit?

This is not a signature.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 07:57:00 am »

High security is actually getting a shrink from infinite to about two months; the closed down is going from a few days to a couple weeks, but it's less common. It will mean you can't walk in and blast the life out of a place twice a week every week, but I don't think that's unreasonable.

The biggest restraints on the pace of the game aren't public opinion, but the pace of government changes. Justices are well-known, but since the election overhaul I did, the Presidency shifts very slowly too. As it stands, you'd need at least 17 years to get an Elite Liberal President; that's just way too long, honestly.

My goal is to make the game be an ongoing struggle for dominance in public opinion and in other ways. At the moment one of the problems with the game is that as you grow in power, the threats to you only increase. There's no plateau, no achievement, no breath of fresh air or time to relax before the next challenge. I would like to see conflicts with gangs and other groups that can eventually be marginalized and defeated as the LCS expands its influence. I want you to be able to have measures of the power of the LCS; this is part of why I make LCS popularity capped now, so you can't become more popular than the general Liberal sentiment in the population. As you push the issues back across the board, the LCS can grow more popular.

One subtle change that I suspect most people haven't noticed is that average people on the street now appear in alignment distribution that is based on the public mood. If you go to prison for 17 years and come out in the heart of an Arch Conservative Hell, you'll see reds crawling everywhere, with only a few Liberal strongholds in the shelter, co-op, and crack dens. As public opinion moves in your favor, you'll see fewer and fewer enemies against you, and soon it'll mainly just be the cops and security guards and special enemies.

I want the game to be responsive to your actions, giving you rewards as you play, and for accomplishments less than total victory. As you choose different strategies, it should affect how the game plays -- a very "good alignment" strategy will result in a popular LCS, but it'll lack punch. A very "evil alignment" strategy will be devastating where you strike, but it can soon backfire if you end up making the public hate you. I do want to let you pick good and drag it out for decades if that's what you want, but the goal isn't to make you do that -- rather, it's to make the more aggressive actions you do take meaningful in the short term, and also more exciting because they cost you something to perform, namely your popularity, which in turn reduces the effectiveness of your actions. The idea is that there would be a good reason to do this specifically, though -- because if you don't hit them like this, you'll never do as much damage as you could to that target. Running in with six people with assault rifles and shooting the place up should be crippling to them.

Ultimately, I'm trying to finesse the situation into a place where there's less grinding, and more meaning behind your actions. You don't run out and kill janitors for days to get your juice up, because then the LCS becomes loathed and they kick down your door. Instead, you get your combat team's juice doing meaningful, interesting things, like fighting gangs for influence, or skirmishing with some corporation. If, in the end, the game is longer for these changes, it will hopefully not be from being more monotonous.

-----

Edit: To be clear, this extension in the too hot timer isn't out of any intentional effort to make the game slower paced, it's mainly a preparatory change for when your actions have a more direct effect on the groups you attack. Having the building out of action for a couple weeks should, theoretically, be an advantage. Once this is in place, we can do things like having the AM Radio and Cable News not affect anything while they're closed down, and have the Police not be able to raid you if you slam them with a giant hit. You'll then have a meaningful way to lift a siege -- you can't attack the sieging units directly from the outside, but you can attack the police station, and if you do enough damage, you'll close it down and force them to break off the siege.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Hah, shows how much attention I pay that I never noticed a permanent high security. I guess I always just assumed it stayed that way cause I can't stop shooting the place up!

I like everything that you typed right there, it all sounds brilliant. You're right in that the game is lacking in several pints, but from everything you're talking about doing, no matetr how ong it takes to implement, from what I've seen you do over the past few months, I can tell it'll be worth it.

On another note, I wasn't quite sure if it was my imagination or not that the population's political stance is affected by the status of the nation. I knew there were too many Rightwingers after getting out of jail...

But yeah, I'm looking forward to all of it. You've really done a great job of taking a decent game and pushing it into the realms of greatness. I can't say I've had gripes with anything other than the new map code, which still acts kind of funny here and there, and the locking away of ALL the loot. You'd think some of these places would at least have a TV in the lobby   :D.

So, just keep it up. I'm sure a lot more things are yet to change, and if it keeps up like it has, this'll be one game I'm sure to have on hand at all times.

This is not a signature.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Little:
<STRONG>I influenced development!    :)     :) I can't wait to play the new version (and not just because I want to take a bunch of guitarists down to the park to rock out), you've made all these awesome changes so fast and the stuff you've got planned for the future sounds just amazing.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

In terms of public opinion effecting game play, are the recruitment topics(e.g. abortion, privacy, pollution) success rates going to be tied to public opinion on them? Is the current state of the law going to have any effect?

I would love to see you be able to focus your efforts on one area at a time, see meaningful change there, which increases your ability to take on other issues.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

When will the next version be released?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

One thing the park is really missing are Amtgard nerds with a couple of points in fighting with foam swords and disguise/garment skills. (Maybe a chance of writing skill from all those stories about their chaotic good dark elf character who wields double scimitars but is otherwise totally different from Drizzt)

Or at least that's what the park by my house is like...

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »

I got UTF-8 working in a test program!  I'll look at seeing how to integrate it with runtime detection and fallback to the old system.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Perhaps make the guitar attack have a chance to cause them to show up later. Obviously it should be a very low chance but would still help in recruiting. Perhaps make it the critical roll of the guitar. I don't know. Maybe make it like sweatshop workers where they join if theres room.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

Is there any good way to avoid racketering charges?

Any good way to raise juice that has a low chance of getting your leader killed?

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Mercutio Valentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

Here's an idea-- Have guitar-pwned people increase sales of fundraising music. Alternately, go the boring route and have them just act as a short-term publicity boost.

(An even more fun idea would be to set it up so that "Write Liberal Music" generates low publicity, but every now and then rocks out with an album that acts as a sleeper and generates a fairly small but steady income, and have guitar-converted people raise this income.)

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Unicode support is in my current build, but it's all-or-nothing for now.

Old ASCII hack
New Unicode version
... on an ASCII terminal

At least it doesn't spew gibberish on the ASCII term.  But if you try to go anywhere, the walls are all missing, and I'm sure there are other problems as well.

I've got the autoconf stuff working so that it checks each of ncurses and ncursesw to see if they're present and wide-character capable, then picks one of them, preferring wide-character ones.  (If both are wide-char, it prefers ncurses.)  That seems to be how popular programs like 'mutt' operate.

The next step is getting it to autodetect the terminal at runtime and drop to ASCII hack mode if required.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

Little: The only other way to boost juice other then killing is pretty much activism. You have to risk yourself to get juice.  Graffiti isn't a bad choice for long distance gains but you need to have decent art for it to work.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4