Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 204304 times)

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »

One of my forts was built above a chasm, and due to a misplace channel ( i was making 2 moats, with drawbridges to seal off the fort, with a depot in the space between the bridges). I walled off the gap, installed a door, and set it as a garbage dump. Everythings fine for a week or so, then, out of nowhere, a random Giant Bat flies up and kills a couple of peasants. It then chases my engineer into the barracks, which my military promptly exits. Realizing that hes cornered, the engineer tries to fight the bat, but gets knocked unconscious at the same moment the bat becomes overexerted. They both lay there for several days while i tried to get the rest of the dwarves to kill the bat, both randomly passing out and stopping their respective attacks. I finally got the bat by having my other engineer build a cage trap above it. The bat was then taken outside, and accidentally released; the injured dwarf was taken to bed. This is where it gets depressing/stupid; apparently, the bat terrified him so much, he refused to rest, constantly going "Urist McEngineer canceled rest: Interrupted by Giant Bat" x 7189 (im not exaggerating the number). It got to something where his interrupted message was sent about 10000 times a second, till he finally bled to death about 2 months later. I tossed him in the chasm for being a pansy.

Warringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »

Recently, something very disturbing happened, just after a goblin siege, and during the cleanup my bonecarver got into a fey mood.

Okay, nothing strange there, but he proceeded and picked up seven or eight goblin heads and than got to work.

Some time later I check the artifacts to see what he had build.

Yes...

Yes, he had build a skull throne, with one or two carved bone images of dwarfs striking down goblins.

I figure that I can only do one thing now... Build a large new throneroom, decorate it with a number of bone and skull carvings and make my bone carver into a hammerdwarf and let him lead my military...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2009, 02:11:13 am »

Screenshots or it didn't happen. According to everything I know about the game, it can't happen.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2009, 03:39:02 am »

Screenshots or it didn't happen. According to everything I know about the game, it can't happen.

With artifacts, all bets are off, I think.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2009, 10:15:30 am »

Not necessarily _all_ bets. There are lots of items in the game that don't get used as artifact materials - finished goods, rotten skins, living dogs, and so forth. I, personally, have never seen a single skull get incorporated into an artifact in any way. So I strongly suspect it's one of those items that isn't suitable artifact-fodder.

Which is a bit of a shame, an artifact skull totem would be pretty neat. Oh well.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2009, 01:27:43 pm »

Whoops... posted in the wrong thread. Sorry... please delete this post.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:31:31 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2009, 02:49:48 pm »

Whoops... posted in the wrong thread. Sorry... please delete this post.

Sorry, no can do. Your just gonna have to live the rest of your life with the guilt that YOU posted in the wrong thread by accident!

You monster.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2009, 04:57:11 pm »

Well, it's not much, but one time one of my champions was sparring in the barracks which happened to be next to my moat with a large hole in the wall for the drawbridge. Well ,while sparring she got knocked into the moat, but I hadn't yet built anyway to get out of it. So she just sat there waiting...with her baby in her arms. It drowned before I could build a ramp. When I finally had it dug she just sat there. Then she drowned. :/ There's like five bodies in my moat right now and nobody's willing to get them.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2009, 02:10:39 am »

I'm building an outside meeting hallnext to my carp sacrificial altar, and while building its roof a dwarf gave birth. The baby then promptly fell off the roof and got stunned, but not hurt.

I decided to check out the baby's personality, and he "likes elves for their grace."

Thats some serious head trauma.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Warmduscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2009, 05:01:29 am »

Just recently my poor fortress fell into a tantrum spiral after I tried to fight the modded in mini-dragons hordes(dragons with their size reduced to 5, firebreathing and building destroyer removed, but as standard race) with two sparring-damaged recruits and 25 war pets. The result was kinda sad.

But anyways, when my fortress went into the death-spiral, my Trader/Sheriff played an important role in it. After all he administered plenty of beatings to scores of criminals when not tantruming himself (at the end he had himself 101 days of prison and a sound beating he should administer to himself) very often killing his victim (no wonder with legendary appraiser and very high social skills) when obviously a bug struck. Suddenly he responded to all other dwarves and tame animals as enemies, showing the cancelling task message for a harmless non-tantruming fisher and running away. Curios about that I activated him into millitary... and then the carnage began. He killed the poor fisher and ran over straight to my barracks. My millitary wasn't there because I stationed them outside to hopefully sit this one out and propably recover. In the barracks were plenty of wounded left from previous fistfights and sparring and he proceeded to barehanded slaughter the poor helpless guys in their beds, the whole freaking barracks were one big pool of red. He racked up a kill list of 44 dwarves (many of them killed by criminal beatings though) before he got taken down by a legendary miner. I abandoned afterwards though, because my whole military was tantruming as well now because of the horrid loss of their comrades.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:00 am »

I, personally, have never seen a single skull get incorporated into an artifact in any way. So I strongly suspect it's one of those items that isn't suitable artifact-fodder.

I've seen a macabre dwarf use some skulls. It was just listed as "bones" though in the artifact...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2009, 07:30:54 pm »

In an ocean fort, i had a number of deaths by thrist before getting a desalinization plant up and running.

But the real sad/funny moment involved a non-legendary human swordmaster.  You see, this was the first seige but i'd already trained up some champions who engaged and smashed the humans, before chasing the swordmaster down. one of the champions reached him and...

"Urist McChampion has been struck down"

A minuite later another champion caught up to the guy and sliced him in half just as fast as the other champion had been cut down.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

1sauber1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2009, 11:44:47 pm »

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs135&d=09033&f=holyshi-701.jpg
Because incest at dawn on a mountain is romantic.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2009, 04:10:22 am »

Ah so many stories... Well, a notable drama, was after my first heavy ambush 3-4 squads of melee, plus a squad of gobbow's. now, I send out my military, but they're all sleeping, resting, eating, or picking wax out of their ears with their spears. Finally one of my champion wrestlers (one of many, there was a bug, they all leveled to legendary wrestler in 8 months) anyway, he runs into the gobbows, and is promptly SHOT IN THE FACE. He literally stepped out of the front gate and was shot in the head, unconcious, the melee gob's closed in and beat him to a squishy death.

Finally in ones and twos my militia head out and are generally struck down, so I decide to close the gate for good. Nobody decided to close the bleedin gate, I assume my petting zoo was filled with too many puppies and my populous was distracted. Anyway, eventually after slowly having all of my champions killed, I draft my entire population (so about 50 dwarves or so) and send them to attack.

They wallop the gobbo's, I lose a soapmaker, a legendary weaponsmith (its cool, I had two) and a few gardeners as well as 2 of my original 7, both legendary, both miners. Cook, and Dex, my cook and mayor respectively. Anyways, problem resolved with minimal loss of life (for my fortresses anyways) so I un-draft everyone and they go in to rest. Then a dwarven caravan comes, sweet! I can trade all the narrow gobbo crap now!

But. . . As they begin to walk over the very long drawbridge... SOMEONE... Decides that it is time to pull the switch... I remember just as they begin to wander over top of the bridge, I try to make it to the switch in time, yet... Its too late, already that damnable peasent is walking away, looking for a nap. I turn back to the bridge and a horrible site met my eyes...

The bridge and lever, having such poor quality mechanisms allowed for a great deal of time to pass between the pulling and the act happening. 2 wagons, and about 7-8 dwarves are FLUNG high into the air, above the heads of their compatriots. One wagon actually lands in my courtyard, fine as can be, the other wagon is thrown onto my moat and disappeared. It didn't explode, it didn't kill the merchant (no death in my units menu or events screen) It just landed partly in my moat and *poof* gone. Anyway, mostly this sticks out because of the mysterious wagon of doom, and the fact that I was so high I had survived.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:12:50 am by Slinkyfest »
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2009, 06:31:30 pm »

I found a baby dumped in my moat!  It's parents were military dwarfs and i assumed they were trying to kill the baby because it was weak or deformed (think 300).  But this baby survived for at least week in my moat!. of course as soon as i decide to designate a ramp to save the baby, it dies.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38