Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 204395 times)

Blizzlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #435 on: October 02, 2011, 07:51:20 am »

I lost a mason from my first migrant waves to Badger Boars. Without a free hand to build a coffin, I let him rot on the surface.
Shortly after he began to haunt my fort, I opened up a coffin for his skeleton. My dwarves proceeded to bury his severed left foot and put him to rest, satisfied with his burial, as the rest of his body continued to decay by the brook.

TL;DR: A Dwarf's soul is contained in his left foot.

Science! question... can you prevent ghosts by severing a body part from each dwarf, and pre-burying it? (or kept in a refuse stockpile until he dies, then burying it?)

There are ghosts in Dwarf Fortress :O?
Note to all: Do not give alcoholic midgets swords that can cut the face of god and then make them march around in their undies.
They don't like that.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 02, 2011, 08:09:22 am »

I remember one disturbing event I had many fortresses ago. Not the funniest story ever though...

I had a female craftdwarf - who got possessed. Fairly standard, good on ya; I reckoned and left her to her thing and didn't really pay any attention to her as she claimed a workshop - I had other things on my mind, like the frequent invasions (Genesis Mod). Then, as punctual as a carp, she turned stark raving mad. She couldn't get hold of some material (I'm guessing two pints of Purple Moon Strawberries), you know the drill.

What followed was equal parts heartbreaking and sickening to witness. You see, she was a mother. To a infant boy, who was moments from becoming a child. She still carried the boy. So I got the message that she had turned berserker. Then the torture started.

The mother, because the child was closest, grabbed one of his arms and started breaking it slowly, twisting it around - probably laughing maniacally. When the arm was broken, she went for the legs and the ribs. During this the child punched and kicked her in retaliation. But after both legs were broken...

The combat log was not something I would like to read again.

During this I fervently tried to stop the madness. My military was far above ground and was fighting some centaurs, and I, in my haste, had not made any policedwarves patrolling the fortress. Luckily a miner was passing far down the hallway. I quickly drafted him and he went into the work room with his pick and ended it, hacking it into the back of the raving craftdwarf. I realised later that the miner was the husband.

So the pale child - who no longer was a infant, growing up during the... incident - went to the floor with only his one arm functional. No one seemed to care about him, not even his father - who was going for a drink. I presume he was going to drown out the visions he had seen in the workshop. While the child was crawling - and passing out repeatedly after a few tiles - toward the hospital several hundred tiles away he was passed by dwarves that stampeded to loot the corpse of his mad mother.

Many seasons after the incident he reached the hospital. He got crutches and splints for his legs and arms. He spent his remaining childhood life slowly limping around. But he was never depressed. Never going into a tantrum. He was likeable, incredibly sociable and had the most friends I had ever seen a dwarf have - two pages long. I never played long enough to see him grow up; but I remember the child sometimes standing by the intersection before the corridor where his mother had worked, not doing anything. Just standing there with his two worn crutches, getting passed by the busy dwarves.

My God, that really does qualify as disturbing.  I so want to know what the combat log was.  The reason it's so interesting is because YOU'RE AN EXPERIENCED DF PLAYER.  Combat, torture and brutality shouldn't faze you, even when done to dwarven children, but this must have been really scream-worthy.

The sheer bitter-sweetness is astounding.  Not only does the kid survive a scarring event ( being tortured by his own mother ) that would have emotionally broken me, but he becomes the coolest kid in the fort.  It's a good thing he's so good with words and socializing, he's a wretch physically. 

Just wow.  I would go "ABSOLUTE WIN" if not for the fact that it's so sad. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 02, 2011, 08:13:00 am »

I lost a mason from my first migrant waves to Badger Boars. Without a free hand to build a coffin, I let him rot on the surface.
Shortly after he began to haunt my fort, I opened up a coffin for his skeleton. My dwarves proceeded to bury his severed left foot and put him to rest, satisfied with his burial, as the rest of his body continued to decay by the brook.

TL;DR: A Dwarf's soul is contained in his left foot.

Science! question... can you prevent ghosts by severing a body part from each dwarf, and pre-burying it? (or kept in a refuse stockpile until he dies, then burying it?)

There are ghosts in Dwarf Fortress :O?

You so clearly arent doing this right yet are you? :)
This is a blank sig.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #438 on: October 02, 2011, 09:47:35 am »

Got recently sieged, been able to make the goblins run but suffered heavy losses. One of the childs at the fort is surely craving for revenge and hathred against goblinkind, so while he awaits to become an adult and join the army ranks he made this to remember what he hates:

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

GoldenZeppelin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nyeh, Squidward?
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 14, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »

Hey guys, I'm new to DF and loving it so far!
So I'm still trying to figure out channeling, when my two miners somehow end up in a hole and for some reason refuse to dig their way out. So I start this whole metalwoeking operation to make another pick to rescue the miners, when one of them dies.
"hey, I can still probably get the other one, right?" I thought.
Out of curiosity, I looked at the remaining miner's thoughts.

"Lost a wife to tragedy"

...Oh no.

Of course, he died of thirst soon after. As soon as I got down there with a new miner, I built them the best tomb I could, with iron walls and coffins.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »

Addendum: What's the least useful severable body part to a dwarf?
Addendum the second: How can you most reliably sever that body part?  (Should probably have both a modding and non-modding category for this.)

I know this is old (lack of internet sucks), but... can you create barrels of _named_ blood yet? I know you can mod in the ability for a dwarf to create barrels of dwarf blood, after all... I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

EDIT: My latest disturbing moment involved a ghost murdering his still-living child. Scared her to death, poor girl.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:52:04 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pawns4Mons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 15, 2011, 02:09:23 am »

My champion Hammerdwarf going beserk next to the hospital, hammering any soul in his way and kicking the cats. The doctor bringing in all the wounded troops from the goblin raid party battle going on upstairs, and strapping in their half dead asses to the tables. then the same Hammerdwarf running in the hospital and beating them senseless on the beds.

He then sulked in a corner until he died of dehydration. he was one messed up dude. I dubbed him "Dr.Apocalypse - The Mad Hammerer"   

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #442 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:50 am »

My champion Hammerdwarf going beserk next to the hospital, hammering any soul in his way and kicking the cats. The doctor bringing in all the wounded troops from the goblin raid party battle going on upstairs, and strapping in their half dead asses to the tables. then the same Hammerdwarf running in the hospital and beating them senseless on the beds.

I'm tired and ill with the flu of some sort, and so I read "goblin raid party" as "goblin panty raid" which is disturbing in itself.

As for a disturbing moment of my own, I had a child go berzerk after losing his mother.  The military waded in, did the deed, the end...

Well, then I decided to look at the combat log.  There was a moment where it said "Urist McBerzerkKid seems surprised by violence of UristMcHammerdwarf's attack!"  I saw this in my mind of this poor maddened child having a final lucid moment and realizing that he was about to die.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:54:19 am by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:09 pm »

Dwarf Child's father is some wothless peon hauler, and is caugth by an abmush of lashers, and killed. Said lashers stumble into cage traps, and are stripped and scheduled to be used to train the hammerdwarf squad. Dwarf Child's mother is hammerdwarf squad leader, and for some reason Dwarf Child isnt hanging around the child prison... containment unit... concentrat... erm... dorm burrow, instead preferring to follow mom around as she does soldier stuff. Sqaud lines up in slaugherchamber, disarmed gobbos are released, along with a few animals and trolls. Dwarf Child is in there too. Dwarf Child one-shots the lasher that killed thier dad - one punch to the brain, taking joy in the slaugher, becoming a dabbling striker/fighter in the process.

Cant wait to see the engravings.
This is a blank sig.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 17, 2011, 01:49:02 pm »

Well, I recently used runesmtih to prevent a miner from dieing after accidentally fucking up her strange mood. So what has she been doing? Standing in a masons workshop for many months trying to make a hatch cover per normal dorf orders, still hauling the stone she intended to use for it, while her child has grown up in her arms. She hasn't let go of the child so he can't go eat or drink, and is slowly dieing of dehydration. Trying to overcome this currently. Runesmith isn't cooperating, nor can I get her to leave the workshop normally.

Aw crap. I deleted the production order in the workshop she was trying to accomplish, and she instantly went berserk and killed the boy. A tanner with a pick crippled her before leaving the room, and she's still trying to chase him down while the militia gets their asses in gear.

Now that's comedy!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:52:09 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SebbyTheFreak

• Bay Watcher
  • Gold for the Gold God
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 18, 2011, 08:18:04 pm »

Oh god...

I had a miner woman who got bedridden and unconscious for five years after a cave-in. A year into it, someone marries her. Another year later, she gives birth to a baby boy who falls to the ground and started crawling over the place (mom is in a coma). Soon after, a local war dog bited it in the face and shaked it, tearing the skin and walked away. The baby started leaving a blood trail behind it. The baby then crawled around the fort, attacked by most of the pets, and noone ever helping it save for feeding it when it is starving to death and then dropping it back to the ground.

It then crawled to my refuse pile on top of the mountain, where it proceeded to be mauled by a rampaging gang of Mandrills. One biting it in the flanks and leaving a tooth there (which stayed in the wound until the baby's death, alongside a few puncture wounds and something else stuck in there I can't quite remember).

It now has a few crippled limbs and flashes ridiculously fast, stll leaving a trail of blood and vomit. Yet nobody gives a care in the world about it.

Soon after, it enter melancholy (baby melancholy, how cute), and tries to kills itself. It beelines for the magma moat. Sadly, that line ends next to the meeting hall. Whenever the baby is a square away from the pitfall, a dwarf picks it up, and dumps it 4 squares back, the baby proceeds back to the pitfall, gets picked up by another dwarf, dumped at the same place. (The mother in coma is in the room next to the meeting hall).

This whole incredibly slow process of the crying crippled baby dragging itself to it's death but being taken back by one of the thirty onlooking healthy adult dwarf, and put a few meters away only to try and kill itself again lasts for about a month.

Eventually, I declare a state of emergency to get the dwarves elsewhere so the baby can end it's misery. Which it promptly did, by jumping down the moat.

Two or so years later the mother wakes up from her coma, basically completly obvious of her rape which ended in pregnancy which ended in a ridiculously malnourished and mauled baby which committed suicide. That woman was the dwarf who pretty much single handly built the whole damn fort too.

All this, on an hawaiian-style volcano island tropical paradise.

The fort died when a combat-skills-less recruit punched a gigantic stone insect forgotten beast in the abdomen with it's wooden buckler, shattering the abdomen... becoming Legendary Wrestler, Legendary Fighter, Legendary Shield User instantly. And then dooming the entire fort as the beast was toxic and the butcher brought it to it's shop at the opposite end of the fort, near the food stockpile. (6 months later, it never finished being butchered, and the trail of contaminated blood ended up contaminating everyone).

The first to die was my legendary carpenter, who lost a leg in a bar fight and decided to crawl ever since.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »

Well, my most distubing moment came from using the ponymod, so bear with me.

Well, within this mod, there are four main castes of ponies. The most powerful of them are royals, effectivly semi-deific creatures with wings and a sharp horn.

Well, in any case, around year five, along with the usual migrents, I get my first Royal. White mane with purple stripes with white fur and black wings. A rarity, considering how many color combinations there are in the mod, and I get a cool one. Anyway, this guy was a good Wrestler,Kicker and general beast in unarmed fighting, so I decide to let him into the military. All goes good for my little godling, until the zebra came.

Numbering at nearly forty zebras, including a few fliers and not one but two members of there royal caste among them, they stormed the fort. My squad of spearponys, Earth ponies that have slain dragons and buffalo alike, take down only half of them before all being hacked to peices. My untrained recruts only  had numbers on there side, and even a fully armored pony can only stand so much before dieing. Even the trained Elephant, wise in the ways of Boat-murdering, could take eight down before even it dies, among them one of the zebra royals.

Neverless, my savior stood in full body armor, armed with his horn and hooves, and alowed no zebra into the fort. He avoided all attackes, years of training preparing him for this day. He cripples zebras in mid-flight, and caves in the skulls of every zebra that so much as gets near him. However, the whip-users come into play. Reduced to less than seven zebras, all who are left are a few crippled fliers and nothing less than the Whip using royal. They dual in the sky, with the Emperor outmached. All seemed like the godling could get out of it unscathed, until the zebra made a very lucky strike.

It severed his horn.

Neverless, he killed the zebra and returned to the fort, albet without his link to magic.

Later, while fighting a Giant Eagle, his left wing is ripped off in mid-flight. The resulting fall breaks his back legs. His squadmates finnish the beast off, but leave there friend behind.

Over the next few months, he is forced to fight off animals, such as raccons and rats, and takes on many rips and tears due to it. Eventualy, his leg heals, and he goes inside. Lacking both a wing and a horn, his only real use was in mining. He soon could throw himself into his work, and soon became a legendary miner. All this was great until he got into a fight with a Magmapony. He had few friends before then, most of them dieing with the zebras. A few actualy disliked him. His wife, after around ten min's real time after the marrige, decided to off herself by flinging herself off a chasme. Neverless, he was always rather cheerfull, and did not seem to care about all of his mistreatments .His entire body now horrably disfigured,and after a few months after that incedent, did what every pony would do after something finaly realising jsut how horrific you life has been: Go utterly insane.

The blood was everywhere. The crippled god basicly raped everything in its path, mudering foals and stallions alike with his hooves. His hooves killed more in a few minutes than the army did in years. The fallen champion of the fort, this one-winged angel of death, made a fort of sixty-seven ponies become a graveyard of twelve in less than twenty minutes. Eventualy, his unarmored body was peirced with so many arrows that his organs where eventaly punctured and fell. The fort was that taken by a zebra raid in less than a hour after that.

So ends the tale of a god among ponies,he whose name is Deduk Tatlosherith.

Rest in peace, Deduk. Rest in peace.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:11:06 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 18, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »

A river in a world I generated is called the Drab Crab.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 18, 2011, 10:33:00 pm »

For the poster about 15 posts back that asked if a single bit of dwarf would prevent ghosts, I believe the testing showed you have to bury the entire corpse or they show up.  You have to build a slab if they either don't leave a corpse (e.g., Necro910 took a (dis?)liking to them :D ) or you are only able to "save" some of their corpse.

My funny yet disturbing moments:

In my previous fortress, I failed to order more booze to be made which allowed the fortress (of 19 dwarves) to run out of drink just as the only water source froze over.  The vast majority of my dwarves were complaining of thirst before mid-winter, and just after I managed to get the brewer to make 50 units of booze, I lost two dwarves to dehydration.  One died in the temporary meeting hall, immediately adjacent to the temporary storage area ... about 15 tiles down the main hall since the fort wasn't quite a year old yet and that fort I didn't plan well for some reason.  The second died in his sleep, also 3 to 5 tiles from the stored booze.  Once teh month changed (to late winter) every surviving dwarf suddenly hopped up and charged the booze barrels that had been sitting untouched for three weeks while people died.

After that, I managed to get a proper meeting hall dug out, along with food and booze storage, kitchen, still, fishery, etc.  Shortly after getting all of that set up (and teh dwarves happy with their magnificent dining hall), I noticed a ghost in the booze stockpile.  It was the dwarf that died in his sleep.  Thankfully he just kind of roamed around teh barrels/pots, not disturbing anyone.  I like to think he spends his time "drinking" the booze he didn't get a chance to before his death.  Because of this, I intentionally left his body in the corpse pile outside, even though I put the other into a coffin.

The second one is in my current fortress.  My second or third migrant wave (pop cap set at 32 adults, 1000/1000 babies) consisted of a man and wife, and their two sons aged four and two.  Upon checking their stats I realized the wife was perfect material for sheriff, and promptly promoted her to the currently unfilled position.  About 18 months later the sheriff gives birth to a child, her third son.  About four to six weeks after that I receive a notice that the child has been stolen by goblins.  I'm upset, but figure she hauled him out with her while bringing in wood for the carpenter and wood burners, so i remove her hauling duties (which I should have done earlier, I know).

My next announcement was that the sheriff had given birth to a fourth son.  Thinking this was odd (and since I was writing up what was happening to this particular fort) I checked the dates and realized that the sheriff gave birth to her fourth child two days short of exactly 9 months after the third was born .. you know, the one that was stolen away when he was a month old?!
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 18, 2011, 10:39:14 pm »

For the poster about 15 posts back that asked if a single bit of dwarf would prevent ghosts, I believe the testing showed you have to bury the entire corpse or they show up.  You have to build a slab if they either don't leave a corpse (e.g., Necro910 took a (dis?)liking to them :D ) or you are only able to "save" some of their corpse.
Aye, I use lots of slabs  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38