Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 204639 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #450 on: November 18, 2011, 11:00:54 pm »

I have this little three year old boy in my fort, three of his four family members were were killed in Gorerape's most recent siege, including both of his parents and his baby sister, who was slowly killed by goblin arrowfire. The only other family member he has is his other little sister, who is one year old. Although his mood is improving now, he walked around completely miserable for a long time, I'm extremely surprised he didn't go insane. His little sister wasn't too happy either, but for some reason she wasn't nearly as affected by the losses as her older brother was.

I'm seriously hoping my fort lasts long enough to see these two grow into adulthood, as I have a feeling that their story could end up being very interesting.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 19, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »

I have this little three year old boy in my fort, three of his four family members were were killed in Gorerape's most recent siege, including both of his parents and his baby sister, who was slowly killed by goblin arrowfire. The only other family member he has is his other little sister, who is one year old. Although his mood is improving now, he walked around completely miserable for a long time, I'm extremely surprised he didn't go insane. His little sister wasn't too happy either, but for some reason she wasn't nearly as affected by the losses as her older brother was.

I'm seriously hoping my fort lasts long enough to see these two grow into adulthood, as I have a feeling that their story could end up being very interesting.
I think, but have no evidence to back up the idea, that parents/siblings/spouses are listed at the top of the relations list due to the fact they are a direct relative, but the game still tracks the actual status of their relationship (e.g., "Passing Acquaintance", "Friend", "Grudge", etc).  Since newborns don't know anybody yet, they wouldn't be affected much by the deaths of their parents until they have had a chance to get to know them better.  I believe it takes at least 18 months to go to "friend" from zero, based on what i've noticed with my forts.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #452 on: November 20, 2011, 05:39:09 pm »

My fort that died to a computer crash-induced save scum had a pretty awful moment.

One of the mothers died to an instant goblin siege (no ambushes beforehand, just Bam!  Siege.) and of course the baby went un-cared for.  Eventually, it fell into a channel I'd made to make a cistern out of, and died there.  On top of this, none f the dwarves could be arsed to fish out its remains, so it just endlessly billowed miasma into the area until I ordered a floor piece built over it.  then I had a statue placed over it, and no one is bothered by the fact that a baby had died in the party room :P
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 22, 2011, 09:23:19 am »

Lolwut?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:51:37 am by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #454 on: November 22, 2011, 09:50:04 am »

Lolwut?

Yep, that happens.  Instead of burning up, they drown.  I can't decide which is more disturbing.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

hudders

• Bay Watcher
  • Excuse me while I waffle
    • View Profile
    • Doodle Circus
« Reply #455 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

I can't decide which is more disturbing.

Melting is definitely more disturbing.

Before I understood magma mechanics, I attempted to widen a room that was almost entirely "warm stone", believing I was above the magma sea and therefore not in danger. It turns out that I was in fact at the same level as the magma sea and, as the lava crept in, the three miners flung themselves and the children they'd brought down with them against the walls to keep from burning to death. First their feet melted, then their fingers, then each one evaporated into a cloud of smoke. A dark day.

onewingedangel94

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Urist McDepressed is no longer tantruming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:47 am »

I was playing my fortress (tonight actually) and a trading caravan got ambushed by goblins (damn) I live on a glacier, figuring that'd make it all but impenetrable. I used a drawbridge to cover my entrance in times of crisis so after all dwarves except a few were inside I closed it, protecting us from further casualties. After about a year of siege the mayor makes a new law and starts to tantrum so I lock him and the other depressed bearded alcoholic midgets in a burrow and wall it in (hereby dubbed the depression ranch), after my mayor began to tantrum and fight his fellow inmates he was promptly beaten to death by 3 unarmed dwarves. Thus began the tantrum spiral. Usually I would abandon at this point but I decided to go out a man. I assigned the now depressed and furious dwarves to my military and sent a squad of 14 unarmed, angry, drunk, smelly, filthy dwarves to fight (these men being many of the tantrumers). As one walked out he was immediately slaughtered, then it began.

Urist McDepressed is throwing a tantrum! x13

This had originally made me wince, realizing that meant they'd likely end up killing each other, but no. These brave buggers, disarmed the goblins, threw the weapons aside and then proceeded to beat the goblins to death with their bare hands. After the invasion had ended I got a message:

Urist McDepressed is no longer tantruming! x13
ZXKUQYB!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 21, 2012, 04:12:22 am »

Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Seanzo42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 21, 2012, 08:31:35 am »

I had a dwarf go crazy and then kill his father. Only to be beheaded by his mother about 10 seconds later.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 21, 2012, 08:32:33 am »

I had a dwarf go crazy and then kill his father. Only to be beheaded by his mother about 10 seconds later.

And then I thought he would marry her ?

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2012, 09:38:46 am »

And then I thought he would marry her ?
The story of Oedipus got muddled up when they translated it into Urist McMotherfucker, I guess.

Axedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 22, 2012, 03:21:55 am »

Some migrants arrived. unfortunately for them, they had to wait for a bridge, for they were on the wrong side of the river.
even more unfortunate, they came with a Werelizard human (almost at the same time). The werelizard only killed two dwarves, transformed back and backed off.
When I later checked, everyone ran through the bridge to go eat something, except one. It was a down-red arrow kid, just next to the bodies. They were his parents.
I trained the kid as soon as I could and appointed him hammerer.

To this day, I knew my fortress would be protected. Not by a hero, but by a guardian. A silent protector.
A dark knight.
attend party
Skilled axedwarf
talented engraver
novice soap maker
dabbling potash maker
dabbling student

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2012, 03:53:07 am »

I remember someone in this forum proposing that this be done. It appears that this has been done well :D
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 22, 2012, 07:25:22 pm »

Okay, a Dwarven child goes beserk right in my dining room, due to being naked. He starts beating on everyone nearby, which wasn't many dwarves, but as a goblin siege had just concluded I was preoccupied with other matters, namely tending the wounded. Anyway, the kid is beating the hell out of everyone at 2 yrs old, until 3 cats, 2 kittens, and a dog hear the call of duty and visciously assualt the kid. The kid manages to somewhat severly injure the dog and one of the cats, but is eventually taken down by the captain of the guard, who I sent in out of sheer mercy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:14:27 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:19 pm »

I don't think the berzerking naked children thing is a bug, it's more like whether you've planned ahead to dress the little kids ~3 years before they're born. Also, I think the problem tends to be more pronounced if you set up in a relatively peaceful area (few to no sieges by anyone), or if the siegers can't clothe your population (undead horde or human siege).
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38