Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 204732 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #510 on: September 11, 2013, 01:36:53 am »

Well, as I posted in the "what's going on in your fort" thread, I've recently had a murder.

It all started because an unhappy new recruit didn't like being drafted for service whilst hungry and thirsty, and decided he needed to be the first to engage a zombie. So he pretty quickly got angry and went to see the mayor as soon as I cancelled orders for his squad. The mayor, then, was a seven-year-old girl due to a little modding. She decided she didn't want to be yelled at tonight and that she'd much rather go to bed, at which point the angry soldier, only 5 years older than her, walked into her bedroom and axed her to death in her sleep. This didn't sit well with him on account of his having never witnessed death before, so he was even more pissed off and went to take out his anger on another seven-year-old: the new mayor, cousin and friend of the old mayor. Before they had their meeting, the new mayor had to shuffle down to his office, barely a doorway separating him from the corpse of the old mayor, and deconstruct something I had designated prior. He then interrupted the meeting again to go clean up all the blood around the corpse of his loved one, seemingly blissfully ignorant of her presence there. The meeting then concluded with the recruit only slightly less pissy than before, and they went about their business.

About week later I actually got the announcement that Urvad, the ex-mayor, was found dead in her bed with an ☼axe☼ in her head. This of course resulted in everyone getting pissy once more, including the recruit. He was pissed because the mayor was his personal friend. He then attacked one of the other soldiers and beat up a prized laying turkey hen.

I did remove him from military service and convict him for the murder, which abated a tantrum spiral because everyone was pleased that the murderer had gotten what he deserved (a huge chunk of the fortress population was related to Urvad! Cousins everywhere!). He's now serving 200 days in prison, awarded by the CoG, Urvad's father.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 11, 2013, 11:53:48 am »

Don't know if this qualifies as disturbing, but I'm pretty sure it's funny.

So, another forgotten beast shows up. It's a fire-breathing three eyed newt with a leathery shell. Go figure. As always, I'm slightly anxious about losing a civilian or two, but the military can handle it.

Like I do, I send all militias to a large room along the main stairwell leading to the cavern, and wait for Arel Aberdast Gosmer Cog to move. It moves. Already a half dozen troops are lying in wait. First thing I see is a huge cloud of steam emanating from the stairwell. Next thing I do is check the combat report to learn that it has taken a few bolts. And then it's gone.

Check the combat report again, and a wrestler apparently had first hacked its leg off, then bisected the freaking thing. Oh cool! I must see who this latest hero is!

And then I see that said wrestler, Degel Atheldoren, is on fire. Ah! So heroic! I shall put together a slab promptly!

Wait, check again. He's not dead. And he's not on fire. Now, there was no water anywhere near the fight scene...

What's that he's doing? Refilling his waterskin? Check the report...

Ah. The fell beast didn't even scratch him, but it successfully ignited his booze stash. And how he's bleeding heavily and faint. No wonder he's going for a drink.

I suppose a toast to Arel Aberdast Gosmer Cog is in order. And I really hope that some dwarf somewhere gets a gnarly engraving out of this.

One more thing. I noticed that these horrible scalds apparently occurred on Degel's face. One must assume he was taking a swig in between chops, because that's what dorfs do. It'd also explain how he worked up the rage to bifurcate the beast.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:31:31 pm by mirrizin »

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 11, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »

Shortly after, a Cyclops showed up. I had hopes of caging the beast, so I left the gates up to try to draw it near a cage trap. Then, when it didn't seem to be going that way, I watched closely as a dwarven child made it in just in time, and pulled the lever. Then I see a war dog go charging out after it!

Of course, the cyclops had already been hobbled by some nearby serrated disc traps, so the war dog worried it for quite a while and then it died, presumably of blood loss.

Said war dog then decides to go running down the ridiculously long trap corridor of doom (aka goblin grinder and tenderizer) to find a kobold, who promptly cuts its leg off and flees. Sadly, the kobold got away.

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 11, 2013, 03:42:39 pm »

My first tantrum spiral, back when I was still figuring out the basics of the game, involved a migrant family - mother, father, and child - and some wild animals, I don't remember what.

The animals were aggressive. My fledgling military dispatched them, but not before they grievously injured the child. I had no understanding of the medical system... I mean, rather, the immigrant family didn't have insurance - yeah, I'll go with that. So the poor kid died from its wounds without receiving any medical attention.

Mama got upset at this point, perhaps understandably. I learned that dwarves can throw tantrums and destroy buildings. I also learned that they can kill one another while tantrumming. I didn't realize at first that the angry dwarf was the mother of the dead child, so after she killed someone in the dining room, I checked her thoughts to see why she was upset:

"She lost a friend to tragedy recently. She has witnessed death. She enjoyed throwing something recently. She enjoyed starting a fist fight recently. She spoke with a friend recently. She made a friend recently. She lost a child to tragedy recently."

Near as I could tell, she made a friend, talked to her friend, killed her friend, and then was upset that her friend had died, all in one sitting.

epaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2013, 03:58:24 am »

I needed to tap a source of water to create a nice waterfall in my dining room. Everything was prepared: the waterfall would fall through the dining room, and then a channel under the dining room led off the side of the map through a fortification. All I needed to do was open the wall of the tunnel which was touching my water source.

Feeling too lazy to channel in from above (and slightly evil), I decided to go ahead and sacrifice a dwarf for the effort. I had the dwarf wall itself in and then open the wall. Two seconds later multiple bad things were revealed about this decision:

1. The dwarf was a mother carrying a child.
2. The water was under high pressure.
3. I had forgotten to make a floodgate to stop the water if needed.

The water shot out of the wall, instantly killing the baby and smashing the mom against the wall of the tunnel. She was dragged along by the water, fell down the waterfall and was pushed up against the fortification on the edge of the level with two broken legs and a bruised spleen. The baby's corpse was caught under the waterfall right underneath the dining room and wasn't going anywhere. The mother kept trying to run upstream but was unable to.

I felt pretty bad at this point. But thinking there was not much I would be able to do since the mother would certainly die soon anyways, I just tried to quiet my bad conscience and focus on other things, awaiting for the inevitable message the mother had died.

A day later the baby's corpse started to fill my dining room up with miasma, making me have to wall out the waterfall to keep my dwarves from vomiting. Quite poetic justice, really: the stench of death was on my waterfall.

I was still waiting for the message that the mom had died.

It didn't come.

After a week of game time or so I looked to see what she was doing and my jaw hit the floor. She was FISHING. The mom was fishing to stay alive while drinking the water. She was in an obviously really bad mood having witnessed death and the decomposition of her child. But she was barely staying sane because she was "being comforted by a lovely waterfall".

That did it for me. I finally decided to launch a rescue mission to save her. Not 2 seconds after I had given the command to dig a tunnel to where she was, she went insane and died of thirst shortly after. I was too late. *sniff*

Her name was Môsom.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 03, 2013, 03:08:09 pm »

"My baby might be dead and I might have to catch and eat raw fish using only my mouth as both my arms are broken but fuck if that isn't a damn good waterfall! :D
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 03, 2013, 04:51:58 pm »

Mayor cancels Starting Fist Fight: Too injured.

...not kidding. He lost both hands in a fight with a forgotten beast several months ago. Since he couldn't work at anything else, he loitered in the dining halls, got elected mayor, and is now pissed because some goblin ambushers got lucky against my iron-armored legendary swordsdwarves. But... no fists = no fist fights.

Hurr hurr hurr. I think I have the best mayor in the world.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 06, 2013, 01:03:28 am »

Had one fort where my Leader and Sheriff became lovers, and not three months into their relationship, a giant bloody kea swoops in, pecks her skull in, and rips his left arm off before he takes it down, gaining a Sword skill level in the process.
In a single day, my previously-cheerful Leader became a depressed, lonely, one-armed badass. Life is cruel in DF.

Also had someone witness his friend get torn apart by a zombie, slide towards depression, slip into a Macabre Mood, whip up an artifact bone long sword, and recover his morale in the process. It was as though he'd made it as a final tribute to his dead friend, and was at last able to move on with his life. :(

poisoned_salami

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling RAWsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:21 pm »

Funny, yet disturbing, you say...
In Dwarf Fortress, you say...
I'd have to say... All of it.
Every second.
Everywhere.
No matter  what.
Current Fortress: Renownspear

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 03, 2014, 09:15:37 pm »

I had just started a new fortress, and had decided that I was going to build a tower. just after my first floor but befor finishing the roof and starting the second, a flock of around 14 (normal) Keas flew in. Most of them just flew over, and I lost a battleaxe, but one of them decides to attack my fisherdwarf, who had been quietly doing his job through the cancellation spam. I didnt look until I got the "Urist Mcfisherdwarf has been knocked unconscious." message. By that time, the Kea had already accumulated 50 pages of it grabbing his head and shaking it, tearing the skin. I hastily drafted a military from my 14 dwarves, but they wouldn't attack because the Kea was floating a unit above the ground while attacking, and I failed to grab any crossbows on embark. Forward a season, and the Kea had collapsed from exhaustion a few times, waking up before anyone could get there, and accumulated 115 pages of ripping the skin on the dwarf's head. The man died soon after of blood loss, and the named the Kea "reverekills" for the kill.  :'( Keas, always stealn' and killin'.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 03, 2014, 11:40:58 pm »

I've had this fortress going for a while. We had a good run, with our ups and downs, but were finally on our way back up until back-to-back sieges and ambushes. We were holding steady at 30 citizens when my vampire mayor was replaced in office, and she went melancholy. Amusing, but annoying to have a continual idler. Then a forgotten beast came up. Lokum Tomusarros ordirlegon, although I don't remember much of what it was (and the k menu over the skeleton just says it's its skeleton), but it shot webs. Out of that mess, only 5 dwarves walked away. They were my chief medical dwarf, my mayor, the captain of the guard, the melancholy vampire, and an 8 year old girl. The captain of the guard died of wounds fairly quickly. The chief medical dwarf died of dehydration. My mayor died during a meeting with my outpost liaison, who wouldn't get him a drink of water. So now I have a melancholy vampire and a 9-year old girl. Oh, and 829 animals (donkeys keep dying of starvation, but somehow they're still reproducing despite the fact that I have NO ONE to move them to the other pasture). I have barn owl chicks, eagle chicks, a crapton of poults, and approximately 20 blue peachicks.

I keep holding out hope that I'll attract migrants, but I have a feeling that the forgotten beast that just popped up (The Forgotten Beast Cuthabe has come! A huge humanoid composed of solid salt. It has three short tails and it appears to be emaciated. Beware its deadly dust!) down in my unconnected digging area will kill off my two dorfs before that happens. Or else the child will grow in 50 dwarf-years and I'll have one person to tell what to do.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 04, 2014, 05:09:21 am »

Her name was Môsom.

Her name was Môsom.
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
  • DwarfCorp, Established Since 24!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 26, 2014, 04:17:17 am »

How lucky I was with my first ever siege. In an unprepared fort, still new by, and I had a siege of over 60 zombies. Had fun watching everyone die...
And this was probably due to an unnoticed nearby necromancer tower.

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
  • DwarfCorp, Established Since 24!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 26, 2014, 04:19:25 am »

How lucky I was with my first ever siege. In an unprepared fort, still newby, and I had a siege of over 60 zombies. Had fun watching everyone die...
And this was probably due to an unnoticed nearby necromancer tower.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 26, 2014, 04:59:04 am »

Here's something that's both funny and disturbing at the same time: One of the tame grizzly bears I have chained to the various entrances of my fort was bitten by a rattlesnake and eventually died. I actually felt sad for that poor bear....meanwhile I have dorfs dodging off of cliffs and being smashed to pieces along the beach 40z below and feel absolutely nothing.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38