Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 204494 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:19 am »

concerning the grates .. you could always use Iron .. this is magmaproof too and far easier to obtain than steel

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2008, 09:58:52 am »

Edit again: Yikes, according to the wiki, the only magma safe stones are bauxite and adamantine! Guess I'll have to find some iron ore, fire up a wood forge and THEN move on to magma...I've never seen magma and bauxite on the same map.
I have a current game with both a magma pipe and a massive amount of bauxite. You just need multiple biomes and a bit of luck. It does appear you can at least request bauxite from the dwarven traders, as well.

Final edit: wait...I had channeled out 3 tiles and set one whole side of the smelter on top of them. I could have just channeled one and then put a non-passable section of the forge over that. Heck I still can - just floor over the other ones.
Can you build a forge over floor? I thought you couldn't build them over constructions.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2008, 10:50:50 am »

When embarking on a map with magma, I usually bring some nickel silver bars. They're magma safe and dirt cheap.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2008, 11:57:19 am »

Can you build a forge over floor? I thought you couldn't build them over constructions.

Sure, otherwise you wouldn't be able to build workshops in above-ground buildings.

When doing magma work I usually put a set of bars a tile or two beyond the initial magma floodgate (leaving at least one tile so that any stone that gets 'washed' through the floodgate when it's opened won't wedge it open long-term). Then I don't have to worry about sealing the various exits to the channel. I usually prepare a bunch of extra empty magma workshop sites right off the bat for later expansion so I'd have to floor off or grate off a lot of holes otherwise.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2008, 12:01:01 pm »

Just wondering if you can sell humans human bone bolts? :P

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 12:33:24 pm »

In RL, I recall someone auctioning off a mummified head and making good money for it.   So some humans don't mind trading in their own species remains.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 05:07:17 pm »

Just to add some numbers to the "forges use up lots of wood" stuff:

If you have no magma and smelt the steel from scratch, a single full set of plate armor (chainmail, platemail, cap, helm, boots, gauntlets, greaves, and shield) requires a grand total of 32 trees.  That means that to fully armor a 30-dwarf military, you have to burn nearly a thousand trees.

And thats a potential thousand clear glass vials. (i like clear glass, apart from it looking crap)
By the by, how do you make a dwarf wear a cap and helm and a chainmail and platemail?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 05:08:40 pm »

Set them to leather, and they'll put on a cap.  Then set them to chain, and they'll put on a helm on top of the cap, and put on chainmail.  Then set them to plate, and they'll put platemail on top of the chainmail.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 05:10:26 pm »

Oh wow, never knew it was that easy, i just assumed they would drop all that.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 07:17:06 pm »

Edit again: Yikes, according to the wiki, the only magma safe stones are bauxite and adamantine! Guess I'll have to find some iron ore, fire up a wood forge and THEN move on to magma...I've never seen magma and bauxite on the same map.
I have a current game with both a magma pipe and a massive amount of bauxite. You just need multiple biomes and a bit of luck. It does appear you can at least request bauxite from the dwarven traders, as well.
Incidentally I figured a way to build the forges without needing bars or grates or anything. Also, it seems floodgates don't need to be bauxite to stop magma...I made a test area on the off-chance that andesite and gabbro would actually stand the magma and sure enough! Not sure if this goes for all rock or just the ones typically found around magma.

Finally...do volcanoes/magma pipes ever replenish? I kind of thought they were like rivers that had an infinite supply, but when I diverted a little bit for that test up above, now I have little 6's floating around everywhere. I want to know because I'm making a doomsday magma-flood device to annihilate the valley in front of my fort, but the top z-level of magma is only one level above the valley floor...I'm afraid I'll run out.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

technophile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 08:00:49 pm »

Incidentally I figured a way to build the forges without needing bars or grates or anything. Also, it seems floodgates don't need to be bauxite to stop magma...I made a test area on the off-chance that andesite and gabbro would actually stand the magma and sure enough! Not sure if this goes for all rock or just the ones typically found around magma.
Are you sure? I think it takes them a while to melt, it doesn't happen instantly...

Finally...do volcanoes/magma pipes ever replenish?
AFAIK, the answer is "yes, but only slowly".

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2008, 09:46:58 pm »

Finally...do volcanoes/magma pipes ever replenish? I kind of thought they were like rivers that had an infinite supply, but when I diverted a little bit for that test up above, now I have little 6's floating around everywhere. I want to know because I'm making a doomsday magma-flood device to annihilate the valley in front of my fort, but the top z-level of magma is only one level above the valley floor...I'm afraid I'll run out.
Hm, you might have a problem there. Floodgates of any stone will withstand magma - until opened, at which point the magma will burn the mechanism and floodgate away, slowly but surely. It's a one time only mechanism if you don't use magma-safe materials. So if you make a magma doomsday device out of gabbro floodgates, it will be quite the doomsday indeed ;) Although flooding the world with magma takes a long time. They replenish very slowly.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 01:08:20 pm »

Are you sure? I think it takes them a while to melt, it doesn't happen instantly...

Well, when I tried making obsidian bars and installed them, they melted instantly. I put this down to the difference between floodgates and bars.

If I turn out to be wrong, it'll be another way to have Fun...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 05:46:25 pm »

What's this about magma and bauxite not coexisting? :P

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 06:05:04 pm »

I remember i had one dwarf i especially liked in particular, fell nine z-levels and survived with more red and yellow wounds i could count, but despite everything i tried, my dwarves would not save him/could not keep him alive and sane, and so in a fit of power-abuse rage and temporary insanity, i had everyone else build a bridge over magma that they could lower while standing on it and fourty-five dwarves were sacrificed to the magma god that day.

Actually, there were about five of them that got away and i ended up allowing them to all go insane in one room and one dwarf murdered two of the others and the remainders died a painfully slow death of starvation. It all reminded me of The Thing actually.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38