Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 203388 times)

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #420 on: August 31, 2011, 04:49:14 pm »

A while back, I had a temperate map with both deer and wolves on it.  One winter, I noticed that the deer actually were getting killed by the wolves, but apparently only as targets of opportunity -- the wolves basically migrated along one straight path from edge to edge, the deer went along another path, and where they intersected, CARNAGE. 

Just before spring thaw, the wolves chased a deer out onto a frozen pond, hamstrung it, and then LEFT.  The deer was unconscious, immobile, but alive.  And then the thaw came.  The deer promptly dropped to the bottom of the lake.  AND STAYED ALIVE. It stayed down there all spring, and all summer, and I thought "You know, I should rescue this Ultimate Survival Deer and make it my fortress mascot!"  And so I began tunneling my way to the lake bed, to recover this invincible deer...  alas, winter beat me to it.  Immune to wolves, immune to drowning... not immune to being crushed in ice. 

maksymka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 08, 2011, 09:45:15 am »

I remember in one of my fortresses, it got visited by a Titan.
It was long time ago, but I remember it was a Giant Cuckoo with Shell (not kidding). Anyway, I could not predict to what extent this Titan could be dangerous as I assumed it had shell, therefore I hesitated to send my just-organized-last-summer squad, even wielding steel armor with axes. For those reasons I had War Dog Cage (around 10-15 war dogs) with one War Leopard (or jaguar, cannot remember), next to the entrance (obviously connected to a lever in a Dining Hall).
Long story short, the Titan was flying around for a little while. The next moment after he decided to land quite near the entrance, swarm of dogs got released from their cage together with a cute war leopard/jaguar. But then, something unpredictable had happened, the Giant Cuckoo start walking in the opposite side, however it took attention of one war dog who was now running right towards a Giant Cuckoo!
So, I told my war dog 'good bye'. As I realized, I made a bold statement. The war dog COLLIDED with the Titan, BITING ITS {Drum Roll} EYE LIDS!!! It tore BOTH of the TITANS eyelids off!!! As soon as I saw it I sent my militia to help the Super-Dog. After chopping off one of its wings (guess they did it intentionally so it won't fly away), ... and from here I am not sure what happened. But I do believe that this dog had the final kill on the Giant Cuckoo, because I do remember one of the engraving where "...death of a forest titan... War Dog laughing.." or maybe not. In any case, the dog got of the battle with only one of its ribs damaged.
What I learn, next time in Adventure Mode, invest all your points in Biting skills, and move on biting eyelids of the Titans.

PS the fort was very promising, but, after being tired and going to sleep, I accidentally pressed "Abandon the Fortress", which got me pretty upset
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:47:16 am by maksymka »

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 08, 2011, 11:25:16 am »

this is all

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2011, 01:35:22 pm »

I lost a mason from my first migrant waves to Badger Boars. Without a free hand to build a coffin, I let him rot on the surface.
Shortly after he began to haunt my fort, I opened up a coffin for his skeleton. My dwarves proceeded to bury his severed left foot and put him to rest, satisfied with his burial, as the rest of his body continued to decay by the brook.

TL;DR: A Dwarf's soul is contained in his left foot.

Science! question... can you prevent ghosts by severing a body part from each dwarf, and pre-burying it? (or kept in a refuse stockpile until he dies, then burying it?)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2011, 02:49:01 pm »

Addendum: What's the least useful severable body part to a dwarf?
Addendum the second: How can you most reliably sever that body part?  (Should probably have both a modding and non-modding category for this.)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #425 on: September 08, 2011, 03:12:40 pm »

a single tooth maybe?

perhaps inciting sober brawls would work.

Or Dwarven Ice Hockey.

Which sounds AWESOME.

Toady: plz implement dwarven sports.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 10, 2011, 12:51:43 am »

The most disturbing moment would have to be when I dropped 37 puppies down my 20 z-level pit to test it's fatality rate. It was 100%, the average number of severed limbs per puppy was 5.36
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 10, 2011, 04:41:53 am »

The most disturbing moment would have to be when I dropped 37 puppies down my 20 z-level pit to test it's fatality rate. It was 100%, the average number of severed limbs per puppy was 5.36

Umm....

Are you counting the tail and head as limbs?  Or have you been digging a lot of pitchblende...

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 10, 2011, 10:38:00 am »

I have an elite squad where are my favourite warriors (currently only 2). The other of these champions has seven children and four of whom have died in battle

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 10, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »

Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

rosareven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 02, 2011, 04:36:06 am »

I had to kill a child yesterday because he was possessed, didn't grow up into an adult before he went berserk.

HerrSunk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Teach me magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 02, 2011, 06:48:25 am »

I remember one disturbing event I had many fortresses ago. Not the funniest story ever though...

I had a female craftdwarf - who got possessed. Fairly standard, good on ya; I reckoned and left her to her thing and didn't really pay any attention to her as she claimed a workshop - I had other things on my mind, like the frequent invasions (Genesis Mod). Then, as punctual as a carp, she turned stark raving mad. She couldn't get hold of some material (I'm guessing two pints of Purple Moon Strawberries), you know the drill.

What followed was equal parts heartbreaking and sickening to witness. You see, she was a mother. To a infant boy, who was moments from becoming a child. She still carried the boy. So I got the message that she had turned berserker. Then the torture started.

The mother, because the child was closest, grabbed one of his arms and started breaking it slowly, twisting it around - probably laughing maniacally. When the arm was broken, she went for the legs and the ribs. During this the child punched and kicked her in retaliation. But after both legs were broken...

The combat log was not something I would like to read again.

During this I fervently tried to stop the madness. My military was far above ground and was fighting some centaurs, and I, in my haste, had not made any policedwarves patrolling the fortress. Luckily a miner was passing far down the hallway. I quickly drafted him and he went into the work room with his pick and ended it, hacking it into the back of the raving craftdwarf. I realised later that the miner was the husband.

So the pale child - who no longer was a infant, growing up during the... incident - went to the floor with only his one arm functional. No one seemed to care about him, not even his father - who was going for a drink. I presume he was going to drown out the visions he had seen in the workshop. While the child was crawling - and passing out repeatedly after a few tiles - toward the hospital several hundred tiles away he was passed by dwarves that stampeded to loot the corpse of his mad mother.

Many seasons after the incident he reached the hospital. He got crutches and splints for his legs and arms. He spent his remaining childhood life slowly limping around. But he was never depressed. Never going into a tantrum. He was likeable, incredibly sociable and had the most friends I had ever seen a dwarf have - two pages long. I never played long enough to see him grow up; but I remember the child sometimes standing by the intersection before the corridor where his mother had worked, not doing anything. Just standing there with his two worn crutches, getting passed by the busy dwarves.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:50:05 am by HerrSunk »

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 02, 2011, 06:58:17 am »

I remember one disturbing event I had many fortresses ago. Not the funniest story ever though...
(...)

*Sheds a single tear*
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 02, 2011, 07:06:12 am »

^^ it's because of stories like these that we play dwarf fortress.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2011, 07:11:26 am »

This isn't funny, but it's sad.

My most successful fort had a very, VERY small military. A group of strong dwarfs I called champions. They would fight of ambushes like they were no stronger than kittens. Eventually, multiple ambushes came. I sent my champions out, but realised they were no match for the hordes. I sent all of them back inside. Wait, where was one of them? She was fighting off the hordes, preventing them from coming inside. She quickly got mortal wounds and tried to crawl back to the fort, bleeding out long before she could. As revenge, I sent the rest of my champions out. They flanked the ambushers and killed most of them. The fort was eventually destroyed by ghost related lag.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38