Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress  (Read 203608 times)

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
Re: Funny but sad/disturbing moments in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 12:22:29 am »

Anybody enjoy the moments when you find a coal vein right next to a magma pipe that has plenty of fire imps? All I am going to say is:

!!

Rusty Mcloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 12:43:14 am »

What other game allows things like this to happen?  Dwarf Fortress is awesome.

Anybody enjoy the moments when you find a coal vein right next to a magma pipe that has plenty of fire imps? All I am going to say is:

!!
That sounds like Centralia, Pennsylvania.  But there were no fire imps involved in Centralia...allegedly.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 01:09:47 am »

One that I just had happen a few minutes ago:

I was busily carving out a limonite vein, minding my own business.  I go back to my entryway for a moment to check to see of my serrated glass discs are ready to be turned into a trap, when I see smoke.

Turns out, one of the imps in the local magma pipe thought a hauler had gotten a bit too close, and decided to torch him.  And then his cow.  And then his donkey.  And then the hauler who came out to try to rescue the first one.  The little bastard even got a name out of it.  I hit "dwarves stay indoors" to avoid a repeat of the second death, and watched my first wildfire.

A wall of fire spread in a massive, flaming wave across two-thirds of the map, consuming almost every square inch and leaving nothing but ash and bones in its wake.  The caravan that chose that moment to arrive was only saved by the fact that the roads I had built don't burn, so they were able to stay safe.

When I decided the flames were far enough away for me to let the dwarves back out to get what was left of their comrades, I noticed something odd: piles of abandoned goblin equipment and bones laying in fairly tight packs.  The goblins had tried to ambush me during the caravan's visit, only to literally run into a wall of fire.  The little imp who had killed two of my citizens and two of my animals had inadvertantly killed three times as many goblins in the process.

A season later, the imp found his way into a cage trap, and is now the centerpiece of my meeting hall ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 01:31:04 am »

Currently I am searching for a river valley type terrain, where I can reenact the "boatmurdered" magma flood sequence. it should be interesting if I ever get the perfect map. I promise to take a screen shot this time :D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 03:42:19 am »

Well, i was working on a project, ice fortress in the middle of a glacier. After a while of play i noticed that some of my dwarves were running off on 'store item in stockpile' jobs. Turns out a kobold had decided to grace my fortress. My glacier fortress. In nothing but a tunic and a loincloth.

That was a very quick kobold totem.

I had to abandon that fortress cuz traders kept dying in the cold.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 07:00:59 am »

My miner is caught by an ambush while cleaning traps.  Instead of running to safety, he runs about 8 squares up the corridor towards the exit, past about 10 ambushing goblins and out into the wilderness.  But he can outrun the goblins so should be ok I hope.

But there is a fire imp floating around.  He's outrun the goblins and has a bit of wrestling skill, so I activate him, and kill the imp.  But he is wounded.  So his mate comes to rescue him.  But they leave the miner's very badly wounded baby (at least a couple red limbs).  Out in a snow storm.  On nearly the edge of the map (6x6).

I watch to see what will become of the baby.  It is unconscious, but seems to move around slowly.  I decide its probably doomed, unless the miner makes a miraculous recovery.

Then a while later I look at entrance, and the baby has slowly but steadily made its way back the entrance.  Through the vomit of the sunsick dwarfs.  Through the piles of bones from dead ambushers. 

Hip hip hooray for the legendary baby.

And then up pops the purple text.

'Rigoth Rigothtekkud, Baby has been killed by a trap'

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 08:14:07 am »

[note]I am a newb.  That should be obvious by the fact that any of this was news to me. [/note]

I was curious and had one of my miners breach a magma wall the other day.

His digging was interrupted by hazardous terrain.  Which is to say, he quickly needed some ranks in "swim in molten rock"

That's not the funny part, it was somewhat expected.

Guess I shouldn't be too surprised after reading boatmurdered, but I found myself laughing my ass off when one of the other dwarves came down the stairs to give medical aid.  Also ended up wading in magma for his trouble. 

"I'm here for you buddy!  I'm going to save you buddy!  Don't let go--aaaaahhh it burns it burns!"

No-one else came down, but I think i ended up abandoning.  was still on my initial 7, and had already lost my fisherdwarf to wolves.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:15:51 am by illiterate »
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 09:18:54 am »

Hi Jellyman!

The situation you described reminded me of a situation I have been facing, but which has fortunately not resulted in catastrophy.

Now that hunting works reasonably well, I tend to send out hunters to get rid of all those tree felling cancellations. One of my hunters was a legendary weaver (a.k.a one of those guys who have created those 3,000 value artifacts) and things started when I got a suspicious job interruption from her. Sure enough, there she was in the wilderness with the red cross blinking and half a dozen tiles away there was a seriously injured cougar. Both seemed to have had enough fun and were trying to get away from each other.

I figured that the other hunter would take care fo the cougar and someone would rescue her.

Sure enough, I got the cancellation of a recover wounded job. Changing plans, I drafted the miner who had failed in the recovery and had him finish off the cougar. I undrafted him - and no recover wounded job.

I waited for one or two seasons, drafted and undrafted the weaver, put more beds in my barracks - nothing. No dwarf ever wanted to recover her again as she was moving around the wilderness with the red cross blinking. Well, at least they did give her water.

Her wounds consisted mainly of a read wound for the left arm, but it was enough to cause her serious trouble.

This situation was a nightmare for me. On the one hand, this fortress had already seen a siege before, so the wilderness was not safe. On the other hand, in order to protect my pacifist dwarves, the entrance area of the fortress proper has 4 or 5 layers of weapon traps. While it would have probably taken her two years to reach the entrance given her current speed, if she had actually reached it, she would have been dwarf on a stick in no time.

I finally came up with the best solution building a tiny hut out in the wilderness and putting a bed assigned to her into it.

Someone rescued her and put her into the bed and she has been resting there ever since.

That dwarf is definitely a very lucky dwarf and I hope I will be able to give her some special rooms once all my nobles have what they need (I just got the baron set, so I have 4 nobles without any rooms and my miners are busy digging channels outside (^_^;; ).

Ever since she moved into that hut, I had one nasty goblin ambush (more than half a dozen dead pets and 2 dead dwarves) and economy set in (that really scared me, but then I noticed she was legendary, so she didn't get evicted). Thus far, she is doing good and I can really hope for her to recover eventually.

Deathworks

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 09:34:44 am »

I was digging some tunnels in one of my first forts in an attempt to find some ore, it was whilst urist McMiner was digging some up/down staircases that I found that I did in fact have a magma vent (this was before the feature finder). I found this when he dug a staircase into the vent iteslef and somehow managed to walk down into the magma in an attempt to dig the next level's stair cases...

We can only guess what was going through his mind when he realized that his feet had melted.
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 10:24:25 am »

Everybody has troubles with sieges. My first siege consisted of about 12 axegoblins and mace goblins. A macedwarf stood at the entrance while the marksdwarfs killed about 4 and wounded 2 more. My mace dwarf (with a full set of adamantine armor, shield and mace) ran into battle, killing 6 goblins and finishing off the 2 other ones.

Yeah I cheated for teh adamantine armor but guess what? IT PWNS!

Wurzt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 10:47:27 am »

I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress again, on the first day something I have never seen before happened, and has kept me playing since in the hopes that more fun stuff will happen.
First a picture.
http://img26.picoodle.com/data/img26/3/9/1/f_4m_467b78f.jpg

There was a party going on in my meeting halls, most of my, about 18, dwarves were there, except for the fisherman, he was out fishing.
The party continued for a long time and then eventually the fisherman came in to eat, and he saw the party.

I don't know if seeing that everyone was at the party except for him made him do this, or that he was generally unhappy, but he went berserk.
An unfortunate cook was nearby, and the fisherman chased the cook around the food stockpiles until he collapsed, there he continued to kick his lower body until he was knocked unconcious by a nearby partying wrestler. When the wrestler had beaten the fisherman a little my, apparently hungry, dogs came by and ripped the berserking fisherman into a Lot of chunks. (Note the piles next to the one showed) The party then proceeded as if nothing had happened.

Damn, I wish they ate the chunks, now That would be a good story.

Oh and by the way, the cook still hasn't healed.
Apparently buckets of water and bedrest doesn't make a dwarfs balls heal. :(
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:01:08 am by Wurzt »

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress again, on the first day something I have never seen before happened, and has kept me playing since in the hopes that more fun stuff will happen.
First a picture.

Nobody can tell what that is.

Wurzt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 11:01:51 am »

Nobody can tell what that is.

I was having trouble with the picture, and was previewing it all repeatedly, once I pressed Post instead of Preview, sorry.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 11:59:49 am »

Hi Krumlink!

Actually, no friendly creature got killed in the one siege I had, but I lost 11 dwarves and a lot of pets in the three ambushes I have had so far.

Of course, it is not surprising, given that sieges are announced when the siegers are still at the map edge, while you learn about ambushes only when the goblins are already standing right next to their first victim (T_T).

Actually, the last ambush caused quite some hazzle. First of all, it was difficult to guess how many additional coffins I would need as I had not kept track of exactly how many pets there were (not all cats adopted dwarves, after all). Then, I saw a lot of depressed dwarves.

Things got interesting when a miner started throwing a tantrum.

Sure enough, he was right in the middle of my outside workshop area. Fortunately, he only toppled over the conventional forge which had nothing to do at the time anyhow. As I didn't really have anything I could do about him, I took care about preparing some cages as a quick look at the Justice page claimed that he was to get 26 days for vandalism (I consider that lucky, considering that I had no cages for justice designated then AND there was a bored hammerer without any private rooms prowling through my fortress...).

A little while later, a woodcutter is throwing a tantrum, but calms down rather quickly.

Being worried about what trouble he might have gotten himself into, I check the Justice screen. Nope, no wood cutter listed there, but the miner was now up for 52 days in prison and besides the vandalism, there was disorderly conduct - against that very woodcutter.

Okay, it is no big thing, but I really like how things interact in the world and how things may escalate (or fail to do so) because of that tightly knit net of relations.

Deathworks

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:35 pm »

I just noticed that one of my dwarves likes "tentacle demons for their corrupt intentions"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38