Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandoned?  (Read 1728 times)

manimal347

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Abandoned?
« on: December 31, 2006, 08:25:00 pm »

Please update this game. You promised so much...

Currently, it won't run under Mandriva 2007, either as a linux binary, a source compile, OR the windows binary under WINE. Flag burning in linux is the LEAST of issues right now...

If a true update is made, I pledge a twenty dollar donation. Since this is by far the best game you ever amde, I better others would be willing to do the same.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by manimal347:
<STRONG>dollar donation. Since this is by far the best game you ever amde, </STRONG>

I think that Dwarf Fort has a lot more going for it right now in terms of style and content, actually.  LCS is really hip, and I wouldn't mind casual bugfixes- but not at the expense of progress on the DF front.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

I can't compile for Linux so I can't tes this.  The windows binary works in windows, I'm not sure why WINE isn't running it.  I think somebody mentioned something about the source link being wrong before, but I don't remember the exact issue.

There isn't time to work on everything, and LCS hasn't generated very much interest, though it has its good points.  The source code, such as it is, is released under GPL, so anybody can work on it now if they like.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

I'm interested in LCS!  But I think I'd prefer to see work on Dwarf Fortress.

Mainly, I don't think that LCS was really designed to be expanded on.  It was originally conceived as a sort of Oubliette-themed joke, and had things added to it from there...  Lots more could be added, but everything has to constantly be redesigned to support new additions.  Dwarf Fortress has been meticulously planned from the ground up, so I suspect time spent expanding it would be more productive.

I'd almost say I'd rather see an entirely new LCS 2 someday, planned from the ground up to support things like player involvement in elections and a more interesting endgame.  But that's something for another time.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

I'm a big fan of LCS too, but as a friend of mine said, "The big new roguelike everyone's talking about is this game called Dwarf Fortress, I don't know if you've heard about it..."