Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: LCS 3.10 (Formerly "what would you want to see?&quo  (Read 12433 times)

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.10 (Formerly "what would you want to see?&quo
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

Use size_t when you're comparing with STL stuff, 's easier to type then unsigned int anyway. Kevin had already dealt with all the more painful issues like leaking for-loop scope reliance and non-standard vectorage, at least.
I don't have any good suggestions for the thousand-line switches though.  :D

Rather than sourceforge, I'd suggest Jonathan looks at one of the distributed systems, and just pushes a stable-branch up to his server when he releases a build. Being able to do ad-hoc merges from each other beats the pains of patch managers and commit access and so on.

X

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:00 am »

Hmm... I always wondered how these multiple programmer projects did work.

That might be a good opportunity to learn, see and try.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2007, 04:33:00 am »

Yeah, distributed version systems rule. I recommend Darcs.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2007, 07:45:00 am »

Bug! :-o Trying to tab to a squad made up of people who lost touch with the liberal crime squad(because they broke in jail and ratted you out ;P) done goes and crashes the game. Technically they lost touch because their contact lost touch because their contact lost touch because they broke in jail and ratted me out

Save from day before next month

EDIT: I would be happy with any option that lets me grab new change/fixes to try them out.

[ June 12, 2007: Message edited by: Xavior ]

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

@Grue, is darcs the distribution thing (like sourceforge for instance) or a open source work in progress?
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2007, 11:59:00 am »

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but darcs is a program similar to CVS which stores different revisions of your code so that you can trace what and when you edited, or undo your changes and similar stuff. "Distributed" means that someone can work on the same code in parallel and then you can merge the code of two people together and get something workable. In a non-distributed system all changes must be recorded sequentially.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

ok, that makes sense now, didnt understand from their homepage.
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

I found a bug, 2 of my people died, but they were still listed as being part of my squad. When I went to the hospital the game crashed (This is on 3.10r5)

Darcs looks cool, but we could still get a sourceforge page. Sourceforge is not all about CVS or SVN, it has bug and support trackers as well as a release system. The sourceforge site could be set up to give people instructions for getting the source using whatever system we want, including Darcs.

[ June 12, 2007: Message edited by: Grundee ]

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2007, 01:51:00 pm »

grundee, i found that one a while ago, what you have to do is go to any place with a map then any other squad members drag them and it doesnt crash

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

Just so you know, I started programming about ten months ago, and I've never used sourceforge or worked on an open source project. I wasn't really expecting a surge in programmer interest from my picking up LCS after two years of it being essentially dead, but that's pretty cool, and I'm all for getting some source control set up if there's interest.

I've used SVN before on a class project, and I was pleased with it. Being able to merge on the fly and check out without worrying about what anyone else is doing is blissful. I'm open to alternatives, but that's my only experience.

jonathansfox.com is a pretty cheapass website, I'm paying pennies for it essentially, and I don't remember how much bandwidth/space I have. It's enough to host downloads, I have a couple dozen mp3s on there as well as LCS, but it would die if it came to high traffic.

I will look more into this toward the weekend. Though I'm a college student and it's the summer, I'm taking a full course load on an accelerated timetable, so I'm pretty busy during the week.

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

That is why it is always a good idea to get some kind of version control system in place and a few different developers working on it. You can't be expected to spend all of your time working on this project and fixing all of the bugs that will pop up.

It takes about 30 minutes to apply for a sourceforge page, and it takes them 1-2 business days to approve the request. They will give you bug trackers, so you won't need to sift through forum posts to try and find bugs that need to be fixed; they will give you a release system, so you can upload releases to the sourceforge mirrors and not have tons of people downloading from your website. They also give you a forum and other things, but it may be better to just redirect people here for any game discussion and leave that forum to discussing bugs or development related things.

Sourceforge also will provide SVN and/or CVS support. Most programmers would probably be comfortable with one of those rather than alternative systems like Darcs. Since you have used SVN in the past, it may be good to just go with that, but if you do decide to go with something like Darcs I'm sure the programmers will be able to figure it out.

This project is already to the point that a sourceforge site would help, a few posts back I reported a bug which someone else already found. If we were using the sourceforge bug tracker I would have been able to search for it before reporting a bug that was already reported, and you would be able to get a nice list of all the bugs that need to be fixed. All the developers would need to do then is go down the list fixing bugs and marking them fixed.

Though the creation of this sourceforge page will help us all get organized, the main thing preventing us from working on the game at this point is the fact that everything is in game.cpp. That stupid file crashes my IDE half of the time. I already have that new system in place and ready to go, we can keep the same overall design of the project (everything can call everything, lots of global variables), by splitting up the project in the way I showed in that file I linked to in one of my previous posts. This will prevent us from having to make any major changes to the code and risk breaking more things. Really all we would need to do is copy the functions into different files at that point.

I also have some experience working with GNU automake, autoconf, etc. That is the preferred system for these kind of things. We could easily make the project work with that system (and have other makefiles in place for windows). The first thing that we need at this point, however, is a sourceforge page.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

Well, if some people know how to create a source forge account, we don't need Jonathan to do it...

Okay, that's him who is working on the code right know. But if it helps that one those who know a bit more about sourceforge creates an account, that would a good thing to do. And to demonstrate how usefull it is. (Basically to start the machine running...)

That said, I don't know anything about that type of things. and have little time right now..

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

quote:
Okay, that's him who is working on the code right know. But if it helps that one those who know a bit more about sourceforge creates an account, that would a good thing to do. And to demonstrate how usefull it is. (Basically to start the machine running...)

Being as Jonathan is the current maintainer he should be the one to do it, or at least designate someone he chooses to create the sourceforge project.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

I've submitted a project registration request for Liberal Crime Squad on SourceForge. The UNIX name is lcsgame, but it's still pending. In case anyone is curious, here's the public description (255 characters or less) I decided on:

A satirical console-based political role-playing/strategy game in which you recruit a team of Elite Liberal radicals and try to save the United States from a descent into Arch-Conservatism. Gameplay based loosely on the classic 1983 RPG Oubliette.

[ June 14, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

[ June 14, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

Awesome.

The request should be granted in the next 24 hours.

EDIT:
It is up: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Grundee ]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6