Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: LCS 3.10 (Formerly "what would you want to see?&quo  (Read 12439 times)

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.10 (Formerly "what would you want to see?&quo
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2007, 09:29:00 am »

Should we go through and put all our feature requests and bugreports in the new sourceforge site?

Right now we have a different version of code for the Windows version and the Linux version. That's a little weird(especially since the linux code actually misses a few changes from the earlier versions)

I will look at the windows code and see how easy it is to make portable without removing anything. My imagination tells me that probably a new header file for linux containing replacement functions for everything that doesn't exist under linux, or just straight up linux replacements for the libraries(though parameters might need to be modified to suit the windows code, dummy functions underneath the actual libraries)

It likely won't be that easy though, and I have No Idea how to make configuration or make files, so aside from a basic one that does no dependency or error checking, someone else would probably have to do it. That is basically what we have now though, so I can just reuse it.

I also kind of want to clone the whole game to (at worst) improve my programming skills, but I'll take a look at this first*laugh*

EDIT: The windows source code...compiles fine o_O And the images work now too. I think the windows source code should be the official version, I can't imagine why they have a seperate version up with so many small differences. It's not the same code(they have different filesizes), and diffing them apparently requires practically catting the whole file twice, or maybe I just don't know how to use diff.(likely)

If Jonathon puts up the whole of his version of the code, it should probably work fine. Though .tar.gzing it would be proper           ;) I'll provide a linux binary after. Right now #define NDEBUG=false seems to have to be added somewhere though. Possibly other defines too. I don't know.

And...the newspaper/cable graphics not working is exclusive to this system. *frustrated:P* the windows code does compile fine, and the differences are probably just the ugly ^M lines from windows line feeds, and the added compression for text from tar.gz. I'm going to take a nap -_-

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Xavior ]

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2007, 12:41:00 pm »

I think that both of the versions are the same, the only difference is that they are labeled differently, and maybe have different makefiles. I think the Windows one has the Visual C++ workspaces too.

The Windows code should be the official, but we should make the entire project compatible with both. Once the code is up I could set up GNU autotools for Linux, and we can keep the workspaces there for windows. One problem is that I do not have VC++, so I can not modify the workspaces after I split the files.

Splitting the files will be a bit of a pain, but I already have the headers ready to go. I don't really know where we want to put different functions to group them best, and I think Jonathan would be able to figure that out better than I could. With the headers I have prepared, all he would have to do is copy the function into a different file, and everything will still work fine, so it should not be too much work.

We need the initial import for the code to SVN now. First Jonathan needs to disable CVS, and enable SVN. Then just run an svn import. If any of you need a good svn client for windows, try out SmartSVN.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

Okay, SVN is enabled, with the 3.09 source code up (and game.cpp overwritten with the latest version to bring it up to date). I also put a .zip file containing the latest Windows release on SVN, for lack of knowing where else to put it.

I ended the 3.10aX naming system in honor of the new release, and called the latest version 3.11. It remains compatible with saves from 3.10a5. The newspaper was going to be substantially overhauled, and it mostly has been, but I lost half of the changes due to a visual studio crash and so the end of the month newspaper update changes aren't there and the news stories may be broadly working Not As Intended.

All this organization! Whew. Let me know if if there's anything going horribly wrong (in the game or otherwise). Also, there are bug and feature request databases on the sourceforge page!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame/

SVN:

https://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lcsgame

I am a bit exhausted.   :o

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2007, 02:28:00 pm »

Noo! Maybe you should try taking a nap. It worked for me.

And uhm...the SVN repository doesn't appear to have any code in it?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

Ugh, the source code folder is empty. I don't know why. I'll put it up again.

Edit: I'm being delayed because Windows is having trouble detecting the very computer it's running on, and so doesn't know how to connect to the internet. I'll get it up eventually.    :roll:

Edit 2: Done. Source code should be up.

[ June 15, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

You can upload the release to their release manager thing.

Also, for SVN. The way people normally set up the repository is by making 3 folders: tags, branches, and trunk. Trunk is where the main development line goes; branches is for any developers that are going to be making major changes and need a clean place to work without disrupting work (like splitting up the files ;-) ); tags is for special copies of code, for example, you would copy the entire trunk over to a folder called tags/3.11 so we will always have a snapshot of the repository at 3.11 being held there.

Overall though, everything looks great. :-)

Where would you like us to post if we want to join the project? Should we post here, on the SourceForge forums for lcsgame, email you, or  email your sf.net account?

I am interested in joining the project so I can help split up the files and work on other things. My sourceforge username is grundee.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

You're added, Grundee. I gave you admin privileges since I'm just learning this thing, and figure that having at least one person with helm access who seems to know what they're doing would be good.    :D

I'll reorganize SVN and see if I can't figure out how to get a release set up.

Edit: My SVN client is badly behaved, I'll get things straightened out once I have it replaced (soon).

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Hopefully everything should be working now.  :p

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

:-/ it identifies itself as 3.09 once compiled. Both the version in the trunk and the tags/31100

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »

There is a perfectly rational explanation for everything. In this case, I managed to upload version 3.09 instead of 3.11. Fixed.   :roll:

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

Do you realize that line 20365(power is less than 250 in the guardian update) is always true because the data type of power can't go that high? (warning: lulz)

Yay! Game!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

Man, I probably know exactly what you're talking about without even looking at the code. That's the liberal guardian, right? That's because I had the bright idea of making power a char (which is the reason you were having bugs before). Before Visual Studio wiped my changes, I'd completely overhauled that function, and it used multiple ints and broke down your performance into different areas and told you whether you were having trouble reaching everyone due to the distribution method you're using.

Edit: Okay, now I'm noticing that you mentioned it was the Liberal Guardian in your report. I feel less clever now.  :D I need a nap.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

Hehe, it would seem to still wrap around once you get too high too ;P

EDIT: And that is incredibly sad. It crashed and wiped out all your changes?  :(

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]