Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting the New Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 5070 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Starting the New Liberal Crime Squad
« on: March 21, 2003, 01:42:00 am »

Okay.  I'm going to spend a few days revamping Liberal Crime Squad.  Aside from surprise additions (which I won't discuss), here is what I gather people want:

------------------------------

Supreme Court Justices stick around too long.  Three Toe and I found an amusing Liberal fix for this.

The issues people vote on are too conservative near the end.  If the majority party controls the floor, then the right (left) issues will be debated.

More ways to get security uniforms and lab coats (other than murder)

Speed up the voting screen for issues that die immediately in the House

------------------------------

Am I missing anything?  Now is the time to speak.  The changes begin tomorrow.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

spelguru

Re: Starting the New Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 08:49:00 am »

*is in chock*   YAAAAAY!!! A NEW LCS! YAAAY!!!

A few things that could be added, and that is a cloth shop so that you dont have to kill ppl to get suits and all that. A melee weapons shop. Mercenaries, people that are highly skilled in combat and doesnt need conversion to L to join you, they just need cash, and lots of it. They are also highly vulnerable for bribes... More areas to raid... Some more types of different goverment labs... Armor... Armor is needed, not chain mails or that medievel stuff, but bulletproof vests and kevlar helmets and all that. Maybe you could raid a army weapons depot or base to get them, or buy them from the Liberal Black Market... More effective way of gaining skills, and maybe a training place were one can buy training up to skill level 3 or 5 or something like that. A gorilla gnawing on a bone is also needed... All games I play lack the classic gorilla gnawing on a bone... ummm... Priests, priests are also needed! Call down on the almighty to zap the evil C... for a donation to the church of course... Rabid snarling dogs are also needed...

Thats all I can think of for now...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »

Dude, gorillas are vegetarians.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 12:25:00 am »

I'd really prefer if you could make your agents train!  Even if you can only get a point or 3 of something, if you have the money it should be doable.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 01:58:00 am »

Maybe it should take time to do...  time is very precious in the game now.

spelguru

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 07:10:00 am »

But the gorillas aint the normal kind... they are the kind who has been in a genetic lab and thus gotten new instincts like eating ppl and gnawing on bones...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 11:44:00 am »

I guess if the first version of the game had Giant Mosquitos and Six-Legged Pigs, Carnivorous Gorillas wouldn't be much of a stretch.

spelguru

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 05:25:00 pm »

Okay toady... you cannot make games anymore... In one of your games you have included an improved version of the most annoying bug alive... the mosquito... Shame on you...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 12:51:00 am »

Hey, I just looked through the code.  The first version had Purple Gorillas.  So what were you talking about?

The game is attaining a certain degeneracy.
Combat has been...  improved.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »

I've finished all of the suggestions above.  Except Mercenaries...  that doesn't fit the theme.

Now I'm going to add a few more middle-end game twists to try and break things up a little bit.

Any other suggestions?

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 10:06:00 pm »

I think that all the conservative filth they show on TV and Radio should constantly work against you.  Afterall, you have only a couple of AM radio people working on liberal causes but they have all the rest!  It shouldnt be so easy to convince the public that way.

Also, I think you should be able to customize your characters a bit more since as it stands you just re-roll until you get a nearly perfect character.  Using points to choose your stats or making sure every character you recruit (not kidnap!) is reasonably balanced would be much better.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 01:06:00 am »

Yeah, the first thing I did was to make the public opinion of AM Radio and Cable News influence everything else.  It makes the game a lot harder...  now you have to fight much harder to get the numbers to swing your way, and a good initial strategy is probably to make people hate AM Radio and Cable News through some non-violent site raids.  You can lose the game now...  there are a few ways, but one is to let public opinion get to negative.  So if you just pass the time, AM Radio and Cable News will make things dangerously Conservative, instead of just hovering around 45% Liberal like before.  The feeling is right.  It's like the world is becoming more and more Conservative, and you have to stop it, rather than just a dull status quo.

I'll tweak character generation as you suggest.  Points doesn't seem natural for this game, but I'll make it more balanced I guess.  I'll make the attributes always add up to a certain number perhaps.  Right now, the initial number of skills for a recruit is WIS + INT.  If I make it just WIS, then it'll probably be better, since your indoctrination techniques will be paying for those skills.  Otherwise there's no reason to go for high wisdom candidates.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 09:38:00 am »

I think high wisdom characters should be harder to sway their views either way.  A high wisdom character should be harder to sway to your side but also harder for him to be captured by the Enemy.  And shouldnt intelligence govern skills more than wisdom anyways?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »

In a rational world, yes.  But in LCS, wisdom dictates how Conservative you are, and heart determines how Liberal you are.  This is basically a play on this STUPID quote I read on a bathroom wall in the basement of the math building: "When we are young, we are liberal, because we have heart.  When we grow older, we become conservative, because we have grown wisdom."  Tell that to my grandmother.  But since wisdom is a DND stat from Oubliette, it works out fine.

Wisdom determines starting skills now simply because I need to provide an incentive for people to indoctrinate high wisdom characters.  Money doesn't work:  I don't think it would be a sufficient motivator unless it were a lot of money, but that would defeat the indoctrination procedure pricing (since it costs only money and volunteers).

Actually, all attributes should govern starting skills...  I don't think intelligence makes people all that much better at using a rifle or knife fighting.  Not as much as one's physical gifts in any case.  Education would determine some of them...  and random chance...  and job history...  

Attributes give bonuses to skills anyway.  Huge bonuses.  For instance, computer hacking:

When you try to hack a computer, you roll a number from 0 to 10, and then add Computer Skill + Intelligence to it.  Intelligence actually has a large impact.  You could have a computer skill of one, but an Int of 10, roll a 9 or 10, and hack the CIA computer (which takes a 20).  If you aren't as bright or lucky, you have to compensate with computer skills.  But you can't hack the computer if you have no computer skill, or eyes.

[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 07:05:00 pm »

I think the volunteers should be more useful.  There should be some method for them to make you money or just spread the liberal word.  Volunteers should also be expended when training someone probably.
Pages: [1] 2