Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game of Multiworld Madness has grown too large for me to handle. What would you have me do?

Muster up remaining strength and complete the current chapter. Bring the game to a logical close, then reboot it.
- 32 (37.2%)
Same as 1, but a whole new game will be started instead, still Multiworld, but no longer Madness.
- 9 (10.5%)
Get just this last turn done and reboot the game. No point wasting energy if updating takes so long.
- 31 (36%)
Get the last turn done and start a new game project.
- 14 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 409

Author Topic: RTD - Multiworld Madness! Final Update: Parts 1 and 2, out of ~4.  (Read 382501 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

looking at the colours of the ground, I also appear to have rolled a 7 for my action and a 6 for collateral. Which would explain why I've struck granite...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Multiworld Madness Turn 180-ish! Where enemies meet their *scherthluck*.
« Reply #6061 on: February 05, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »

I really need to start checking this thread more often, it's so easy to forget about it.

I'd like to grab a handful of dirt and stuff it into my pocket. Assuming the dirt isn't too hard, this should be a pretty quick action. And if it is, I'd like to proceed to my next action: go and check out those dead elementals. Specifically, try to remove their armor. By cutting it off, if necessary. I'm not too interested in salvaging everything, it probably won't fit, but some working parts might be nice.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Ummm... bump?  Never thought Multiworld would need it...

EDIT: :(
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:09:52 am by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile

Just finished reading this, don't you dare be dead dammit.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Razordw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah seems Sean got caught up with real life again. Tis a shame, but if he cannot do it due to real life, then no one can really argue.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Yeah, it's the same old thing. I thought I was ready to continue, but you know Murphy's Law...

On the bright side of things, this gives me time to broaden both my experiences and software catalogue. If I get a good feel for Flash or Toon Boom Studio, I might have an easier time getting my stories together. You people like webcomics, right? :)

More seriously though, I'm beginning to suspect it's all because of me myself, and my unwillingness to purposely degrade quality to speed up production. It might've been better to return to the classic RTD format, but now I'll never allow myself to do it. Now it HAS to be narrative. And at some point I get stuck formulating a phrase or a piece of dialogue, get frustrated, get distracted... and this happens. Seriously, I need to go bang my head against a wall or something. Or jump into an open transformer booth. It did help Robocop... :P These things are useful sometimes - sometimes even at work - but horribly debilitating when anything creative is involved. I keep hoping I get around to making that helper program someday, but even that is mostly plans, plans, plans. Keep hoping for a bright future though, we might still get this ancient wreck of a game up and afloat again. ;)

(edit: fix capitalizing of transformer booth. I shudder to imagine what kind of robot would transform into a booth.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:31:35 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

What kind of helper program are you looking at creating?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something like one of those virtual tabletops for PnP RPGs, except with the specific purpose of handling a dynamic rule system. I could probably just use something that already exists, but most apps I know are focused on specific rulesets and systems. What I wanted is something where you could put "+1 to Telekinetic Healing on up to two characters with critical wounds in medium range" into a skill or item description, and have it understood by the program automatically any time a relevant roll is made. Some kind of stupendously flexible rule generation engine, coupled with automatic output formatting. I know how to go about making one, more or less, I just need to sit down and try to do it.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

Who do you have currently on the wating list?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something like one of those virtual tabletops for PnP RPGs, except with the specific purpose of handling a dynamic rule system. I could probably just use something that already exists, but most apps I know are focused on specific rulesets and systems. What I wanted is something where you could put "+1 to Telekinetic Healing on up to two characters with critical wounds in medium range" into a skill or item description, and have it understood by the program automatically any time a relevant roll is made. Some kind of stupendously flexible rule generation engine, coupled with automatic output formatting. I know how to go about making one, more or less, I just need to sit down and try to do it.

I'd think you'd need a lot of symbolic processing and such for that. It wouldn't be hard in theory, certainly not impossible, but often things like that are harder to make than to think of...

The way I'd go about it is to give the program basic ideas of what a roll is and what can be done to it, and just let the user input strings that can be broken down into things the program knows about, I.E. "Frelock +1 to Telekinetic Healing at medium range" would break down into "Frelock" "+1" "Telekinetic Healing at medium range". Then when you're making a roll, you'd tell it "Roll for Telekinetic Healing at medium range for Frelock", and it'd know that you want it to roll a d6, and then because the roll is for Frelock, and Frelock has +1 to telekinetic healing at medium range, and you're rolling for said skill, it'd know to add 1 to the result.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, what I had in mind was more along the lines of a generic cross-reference database accessible by all elements in the database, with a simple-ish method of adding new elements by using existing entries as references, plus of course support for clauses such as distance, number of targets, and even roll results.

Basically you'd have a system not unlike the diplomacy menu of Sword of the Stars. You'd make an entry - "New Skill. Name: Telekinetic Healing. Direct dependecies: Attribute:Mental, Attribute:Focus. Maximum one target. Maximum range short". Then additions - "Name: Extended TK Healing. Modifies skill: Telekinetic Healing. Effect: Maximum range Medium. Effect: +1 When: Range < Medium." Et cetera, et cetera.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think anyone who's seen how much effort you've put into this so far can completely understand why you're beginning to find it difficult, so fair play. I'll do some googling and if I find anything I'll get back to you!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmkay, people, let's do it like this. I can't stand letting this go stale any longer, so let's at least try to push this game onto something that lets it roll faster, even if it means putting it on rails.

For the sake of relieving "dramatic tension", let's just say you were successful in "subduing" the clanner - if the picture of Kashyyk's bloody fist wasn't a subtle enough hint. I'll put a short summary of others' actions in a spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What happens next then, is a little timeskip. If there are still people playing, I'd like to hear what their characters will be mostly occupied with for the next couple of ingame hours, until that transport LASD contacted manages to meet up with you. Speaking of which, your plan for meeting the (presumably Clan-aligned) transport would also be good to hear.

In short, the next "turn" will be a somewhat atypical "camp" turn, more detailed than usual. For the purpose of speeding the whole thing along, your actions won't meet disastrous failures (or successes, for that matter). Least I can do for this delay.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Multiworld Madness! Important information for Turn 181.
« Reply #6073 on: March 28, 2011, 11:47:25 am »

Hurray!
Also, since you claim to be a kinda decent programmer/coder, you might want to take a look at Vassal (google it plz). it's theoretically a online medium for board games etc, but I'm sure with a little effort you could make a module that can be used for RTD. (I.e a specific skill can simply be a "card", so you can keep track of it).

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Multiworld Madness! Important information for Turn 181.
« Reply #6074 on: March 28, 2011, 11:50:36 am »

You know, its amazing you've had 181 turns and only one death, and I think that one was forced.

Anyway, I'm willing to go if an improbable number of people from the game and waiting list all drop at once.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 409