Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game of Multiworld Madness has grown too large for me to handle. What would you have me do?

Muster up remaining strength and complete the current chapter. Bring the game to a logical close, then reboot it.
- 32 (37.2%)
Same as 1, but a whole new game will be started instead, still Multiworld, but no longer Madness.
- 9 (10.5%)
Get just this last turn done and reboot the game. No point wasting energy if updating takes so long.
- 31 (36%)
Get the last turn done and start a new game project.
- 14 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409

Author Topic: RTD - Multiworld Madness! Final Update: Parts 1 and 2, out of ~4.  (Read 382471 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

One of the neat features of this game has been simply it's size. I think that for a while, it was second only to the Future of the Fortress megathread(s) (probably remembering incorrectly, though), and certainly larger than any other RTD I have ever seen.

If it has finally reached it's end, then I hope for a grand end that makes all of the lesser adventures pale in comparison, even if there isn't another turn left in it.

Unrelated: Have you considered a Portal 2-like world, a massive underground self-reorganizing area?
Eh?
Eh!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Well, I'd certainly like to be on the waiting list for the new game, whichever you go with.(Or actually in, but that's a bit unlikely.) Also, my vote's for the refranchise.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

The size you're thinking of is length, and maybe scope. The size that causes me grief is the "breadth" of this game, for lack of a better term. Too many players with too many powers doing too many different things at once. There's too much to keep track of for a storyteller.

And no, that one hadn't really occurred to me. I doubt I can beat Valve at its game, but a Portal 2 world would certainly be a fun experience. I'll think about it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

Maybe a Minecraft world, perhaps the world of the Yogscast?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The size that causes me grief is the "breadth" of this game, for lack of a better term. Too many players with too many powers doing too many different things at once. There's too much to keep track of for a storyteller.

That's odd. Have you read either of the Netland games? They're somewhat similar, but I haven't had any trouble coping with the "breadth" of the game. Perhaps that's because Netland spends a good portion of its time on rails. I think the players have only actually affected the course of the game once in the entirety of all the games I've hosted in that 'verse. It's not really intentional, but it seems to play out that way for some reason. I think I've forgotten where I was going with this post.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, maybe the openness of the whole thing (especially in this world) is the problem here, but for the most part it's really this process of going through every character's actions and making a single coherent text out of everything that affects things the most. It'd be a lot easier, probably, if I reverted to doing turns the old-fashioned way, in sequence, but then I'd have a lot more trouble justifying the events to myself. The breadth comes from the sheer number of things you have to keep in mind with lots of players, asking yourself the question "why" and justifying both the outcomes of the actions, and the reasons for those actions, both in-universe and to yourself. Trying to determine the personalities of the characters from the actions and outcomes, and maintaining those personalities through actions that sometimes contradict them, that kinda thing.

I suppose this is one of those things that'd be easier with a higher level of roleplaying, but I can't force RP'ing on the players mid-game, so I've had to make do with what I had when switching to the narrative style. I might do that for the reboot, but that's a matter for a different poll.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Razordw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking that you ought to reboot after maybe giving some closure to this world (ie just what happened to the missing presumed dead members if it doesn't ruin future stories). Course I feel you should only do this if you have the time. Either way Multiworld Madness has been fun to read and follow since it's beginning and it would be great if it could re-continue in some nature.

Oh and I still say you're a Grand Master and should not demote yourself to Accomplished.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh and I still say you're a Grand Master and should not demote yourself to Accomplished.

Might be Grand Master (Rusty), though.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Heh, whatever the case, I hope i can grab a spot in the new one.

In fact, calling it now!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:40:53 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm on the waitlist so I should be okay

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One last turn is my choice. No point dragging possibly the largest RTD in the Internet so slowly forwards. A fresh start would be nice to see and our characters had a lot of amazing adventures already; Elfzilla, The Raccoon City 11th hour escape and the near-meltdown coming first to mind. I really admire Sean for managing this gargantuan effort, but it's clearly grown too large to keep going in any sane way.

I'll patiently wait for the last epic turn.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

I agree with doing one final epic turn, but a good ol' hard reboot would be preferable right afterwards. It was good while it lasted, but it is becoming far too complicated.

Also, ROBORAPTOR!!!! :o

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, since "one last turn" seems to be the consensus, that's what I'll be going with. Except really, did you expect I'd drop such an epic on such a stupid cliffhanger? No.

You could say I've been struck by a bit of inspiration. Let's hope it holds. Right now the summary of the last update - the text I'll be using as a guideline for the actual update text - has jumped from ~3 to ~8 kilobytes. I've finally decided how to properly subvert your final battle here - and how to properly have you resolve it. It'll involve some of your old friends, though you don't really see eye to eye with them on a lot of things.

Though unfortunately, that means I'll take even longer making this update. But seriously, I'll do my best to make it worth it.

(please note that I am free to misinterpret everything I say here in any way I wish ;))
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:51:14 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to guess flying bodies at high speeds is noy good for us.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

Sean, of all the RTD's I've been in, MM has almost certainly been the most fun.  After almost three years, I think I can definitely be satisfied with one triumphant update to end all updates (which it certainly sounds like you're planning).  Though I know a reboot won't get us back to the 2 turns a day times, I think that, with you learning from this experience, it will again be awesome.

This brave new world we will be exploring, I care not what form it takes.  It is not the trail or the destination that matters the most, but the people on the journey.
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409