Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?  (Read 33442 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:38:46 pm »

Using the data a person claimed to have found a great spot I generated a world. Now his place wasn't perfect, nor could I find what he was talking about. However, I found an awsome spot on my own. Its got high areas going 19 z-levels from the lowest spot to the top, many deposits of bauxite, magnetite, coal, and a magma pool all on the surface. Its got HFS, an underground river and pool, and sand. I'll post the save (before embark copy) and screenshot tommarrow as well as another site thats nearly as good.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:10:07 pm by userpay »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Same place, different stories
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:25:20 pm »

Ok so what I was thinking is that we all take the same place and see how each person's fort turns out. Heres the save file
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=514
And heres the location in which to embark

The only problem I forsee is everybodies story getting mixed up with each others. One way we could remedy this is to make entries on our own wiki page linked to a wiki page named after the world with each of our fort names and the links to our separate stories, though I don't have any experience with wiki's. Thoughts?

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:39:32 pm »

It's awfully large, don't you think?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:44:44 pm »

Well then it wouldn't have everything that would put people on equal terms, I suppose that the right side could get shortened a little bit for those concered about FPS but it needs to retain the sand on that side at least. Also I relized the map isn't as good since it didn't mark the exact location so here is an updated one thats marked

Also while the civilization name doesn't really matter, for all intents and purposes mine is the Elder Mechanisms, fort name Relictrance, group name The Deep Wall. While the civ name doesn't matter to much do not use other peoples fort/group names, that how these are gonna get told appart.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dathaecamo: Community game redefined?
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:11 pm »

You could reduce the X axis size by 2 tiles and still have every feature, albeit with a very small underground river.

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:27:23 pm »

Just -a- underground river is all you need for tower cap

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:38 pm »

You could reduce the X axis size by 2 tiles and still have every feature, albeit with a very small underground river.
I'm looking into reducing the X axis right now, the only consern I have would be being to close to the side of the map and still having easy access to the magma without using to much of it (its a pool after all). Forging doesn't accually use any lava right, it just needs a certain level of lava benith the forge to work (the one thing I was never sure on)? Whats interesting is that the pool is kinda within its own cave.

edit: Ok go ahead and reduce the X axis by 2 tile from the right so that you only have one tile of cave river, you still have shit loads of metal to play with at any rate.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:45:39 pm by userpay »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:24:13 pm »

This sounds like a cool idea.  I saw another one like this that was well underway, but since this one's just starting up, I think I'll get in on it.  The wiki sounds like a really good idea and it's really easy to work with.  I'll have to wait until after work today to start playing, but if you want help with wiki stuff or whatever, just let me know and I can work on that a bit while I'm at 'work'. 

Also, just to be sure beyond any reasonable doubt, is the embark area a 4(horiz)x6(vert) rectangle with the corners at the light blue bubbles (upper left), the first water-looking tile (upper right), a mountain tile (lower left) and the left 'arrow-tree' thing (lower right)? 
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 07:22:18 pm »

I started up.  I picked the same civilization (The Elder Mechanism), my fort name's The Peaceful Glen, and the group name is The Guild of Lovers.  I'm don't normally have a happy happy naming scheme for DF, but y'know, it happens every so often.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:59 pm »

I started up.  I picked the same civilization (The Elder Mechanism), my fort name's The Peaceful Glen, and the group name is The Guild of Lovers.  I'm don't normally have a happy happy naming scheme for DF, but y'know, it happens every so often.
I would think the wiki would be the best way of posting individual stories but I've no idea where to put it so that its grouped with other stories. It doesn't fit in with the other succession games (can't even find that wiki page anymore anyway). I also found this site where boatmurdered was posted.
http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/
But I was hoping to see more people in this, so far only one person thats confermned.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:55:44 pm »

Yeah it would be nice to get a bunch of people on this to see the variety.  I did my first year just because I was curious to see what the site was like and how it works.  For now I just put up maps on the DFMA (on embark and after a year) and labeled them pretty heavily.  I'll do a bit of story once we find a place.  We could always just make a community fortress category and start a Dathaecamo category page to gather the fort pages with our entries.  I guess progress is kind of waiting on more people though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:59:01 pm by Bluerobin427 »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 11:17:33 pm »

Lol I see you've ran into the inhabatants of the pool, what did you have to deal with? Anyway my story is coming along, its mid-winter and I still don't have any immigrants, my expidition leader has killed two of the five fire imps (one of the he snuck up on guided by me, quite funny), and I'm really close to having magma forges, ect.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 08:10:18 am »

It was just one imp that had left the pool and climbed the mountain a bit.  I was walling off the pool so they couldn't get out for now and was watching the imps in the pool, but this one just came down behind the dwarf putting up the walls and toasted him.  I drafted one of the three dwarves that came out to grab his stuff and his body and the first hit knocked out the imp.  It was pretty sad that a newbie peasant-turned-recruit could take out this imp and a mason with some stat increases from working couldn't.  Oh well.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:04 pm »

Finally got immigrants after one whole year, 16 are now military  ;D Also the magma forges are up and mass production is about to occur, probably gonna take another season to produce the needed amount of steel. I'm curious as to why we don't have more people though, the size of the map to big for them? Is it not interesting (for crying out loud its practically as close to a perfect spot as you can get)?

edit: lol 9 downloads and only one person really wants to do this.

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 03:13:39 am »

I'm thinking of jumping in and providing some updates on this too, but not sure how busy I'll be over the weekend so was keeping quiet!

Think we should definately set something up on the wiki to get things moving. As soon as I can get started I'll let you know
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6