Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Game mechanics  (Read 7446 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Game mechanics
« on: February 22, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »

Any chance you'll tell us the spoily game mechanics?  I'm mostly just curious to see how attributes and skills interact.

I think in the old game it was something like this:  attribute + skill + 1d10
Is that still the case?  Can more than one attribute or skill influence something?  Does not having a skill have an effect, or just make it roll the attribute + 1d10?

[ February 22, 2004: Message edited by: Demon ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Game mechanics
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 12:39:00 am »

I don't mind spoiling mechanics as long as people can avoid it if they want to.

More than one skill/att can influence things -- it's all handled on a case by case basis.  Most of the rules looks like att1+att2+skill*3.  Not having skills usually isn't a barrier to doing things, although if you don't have enough computer skill you can't hack as a disobedient act.  There might be other places.  Were there things you were curious about?

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:11:00 am »

How much computer makes you a hacker and how much money needs to be spent to hack?

How are all the weapons different (9mm vs .45 vs swords)?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 11:14:00 pm »

The hacking was kind of off the top of my head.  As Threetoe noted, it is kind of unbalancing:

Need CompSkill>=2, CompSkill+Int>=7

If

HackSkill=CompSkill+Int, over all hacker
Money=Money Spent over all hackers

Then

if 0-9999 < Money + HackSkill*20
then major event (corp files)
if 0-999 < Money + HackSkill*20
then ccfraud/denial service
ccfraud can make you $1000-$2000
Any illegal act has a tracking chance
that is rolled against your hack skill
if you fail, cops will raid in time

Weapons:

You have 100 blood points, and there are also the special wounds. (Str) means
+Strength-5.  Numbers are blood points taken away. B causes bleeding, D damages armor, V can sever if high damage and hits limbs.  People die immediately only if hit in head or body.

Punch 1-5 (Str)
Crowbar 10-90 (Str)
Maul/BBBat 10-110 (Str)
Pitchfork 5-55 (BD,Str)
Torch 1-10 (D,Str)
Knife 1-10 (BD,Str)
Syringe 1-5 (Str)
22 10-150 (BDV)
44 10-310 (BDV)
9MM 10-210 (BDV)
45 10-210 (BDV)
M16 10-310 (BDV)
AK47 10-310 (BDV)
Shotgun 10-310 (BDV)
Axe 10-110 (BDV,Str)
Misc.Bludge 5-35 (Str)
Gavel 5-25 (Str)

Damage is modified by -1 point by most clothing.

Any suggestions are more than welcome...

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »

Juice seems to be a little shady...  How is it currently increased?  How many levels are there (I'm up to urban commando)?  I know for that your court actions (defent self or using a sleeper) dont give you any, but I think they should.  

Instead of just hanging out, could there be a training system of some sort?  If you want to spend money at a shooting range you should be able to practice firearms.  I dont think anyone in my group ever got a computer increase, but I might be wrong.  I think you should be able to train drive, computer, fighting skills, and maybe security and persuasion.

Is there any way to get rid of the huge piles of 2nd 3rd and 4th rate garments I made?  I think you might have a bug sorting the garments too: get a big pile of various garments of various qualities and start giving a squadie ammo or something.  The list of equipment will constantly re-sort itself, like its not doing it right the first time.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 06:44:00 pm »

You get juice based on the amount of crime you commit at sites that you don't alienate.  You also get juice (up to around 20) by doing acts of disobedience.  There are different levels up to 500 juice.  You also get juice by doing a few other things, like printing a special edition.  Most importantly, juice is not a measure of what you've killed or whatever, but your liberal street credibility.

I don't know about training -- why wouldn't you just go kidnap or seduce the right kind of person instead?  Training would be slow in real life.

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 07:02:00 pm »

Well, if you're trying to lie low instead of commiting crimes, why not train?  Sometimes its better to have someone who already is good at stuff like disguise learn how to do soemthing on a mission than bring along a rookie and get everyone killed.

SilverGryphon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 10:52:00 am »

How is the health attribute used in combat?

About weapons:
Are you planning to have automatic weapons (like M16, AK47) affect more than one target? If attacked by a number of enemies, wouldnt it be logical to fire in full automatic mode than always using single shot?

SilverGryphon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:56:00 am »

I think kidnapping/seducing is a quite easy thing to do in the game. While it is fun, it should not be a complete alternative to training.

On the other hand, once your Liberals have accumulated some juice, their might be harder to replace with a newbie you kidnapped.

Of course, training would take time (but much less compared to Liberals put in jail) and it will probably cost money too.

But I like the idea of training.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 02:41:00 pm »

I hadn't thought about having settings on the assault rifles, but it sounds like a good idea -- of course, enemies would get to do it too.  He he he.

In the other thread, we mentioned making seduction and kidnapping more difficult.  I think it's fine to have this be a complete alternative to training.  Since LCS takes lessons from the SLA (kidnappers / brainwashers / whatever-actually-happeneders  of Patty Hearst), it really couldn't be any other way.

I don't have the code in front of me, so I'll post more if I'm totally wrong, but I think health reduces the amount of damage taken in combat.  So say you have 100 blood units, and you get hit with a sword that splashes 70 of them out.  You'd actually lose something like 70 - random(0 to HLTH*N), where N is some constant to balance the numbers.

SilverGryphon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 07:45:00 pm »

Well, my idea about this:
Assault rifles use a 3-round burst, so each attack fires 3 bullets which randomly hit the enemies. Effectively this would mean 3 attacks. The same enemy can be hit twice or even 3times (esp if there are few enemies).
ToHit chances for the 2nd and 3rd shot would decrease because of recoil, but on teh other hand the chance ot hit "anyone" would increase depending on the number of enemies (if you fire into a big crowd chances are you'll hit someone).

I think fully automatic fire (i.e. burning a whole clip in one round) might be too much overkill.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 08:26:00 pm »

All right, so the way health works is:

Set Mod=Attack Roll - Defense Roll - Health.
If wearing clothes Mod goes down by one or two.
If attacker using a melee weapon, add (Attacker Strength - 5).

Attack/defense rolls can range from 0-(20+Agility).

Then take that large mess and the damage I mentioned before from the weapon.

Mod <= -4: 1/16 damage
Mod = -3: 1/8 damage
Mod = -2: 1/4 damage
Mod = -1: 1/2 damage
Mod = 1: 1.2x damage
Mod = 2: 1.3x damage
Mod = 3: 1.4x damage
Mod = 4: 1.5x damage
Mod = 5: 1.75x damage
Mod = 6: 2x damage
Mod = 7: 4x damage
Mod = 8: 6x damage
Mod = 9: 8x damage
Mod >= 10: Mod x damage

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 12:20:00 am »

Assault rifles on automatic are more lethal, but they aren't very useful for hitting multiple targets. The main reason is that it takes too long to arc from one target to the next; you'd miss with all three shots if you seriously tried to hit two people with one burst. The other reason is that the recoil is not as bad as it might be imagined. It kicks a good amount, but the kick is straight back,  and it's not very hard to hold the gun steady enough that all three shots will hit the same target or something very near. If you don't know what you're doing, it'll just mean your shots miss, but they probably won't spray around and hit people you didn't intend unless you're waving the gun around like a madman.  ;)

Of course, if they're holding a hostage or a body, it's entirely possible that the shots will be distributed. I just don't imagine people standing that close to eachother under normal circumstances.

SilverGryphon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »

Well, I guess it depends on the situation. Indoors it would be hard to spread out too much, wuoldnt it?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 07:58:00 pm »

Let at it this way: If you shoot from the hip, an M16 will put all three shots into the same person from 45 feet away. That's more than enough for anything indoors, especially since nobody would ever hold an M16 at their hip during combat anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3