Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About the brainwashed  (Read 1632 times)

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About the brainwashed
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

After they've been reported kidnapped, I don't really see why they can't become sleepers. Can't they just go back to their jobs and say, "Sorry, had a nervous breakdown, went camping." Maybe that's a bit excessive, but are they still reported as missing and can you get a kidnapping charge even after enlightenment?
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: About the brainwashed
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

Once police have determined it's a kidnapping, sending them back home would result in them being taken into custody and deprogrammed. The only way to avoid a kidnapping charge is to have them publically announce their conversion so convincingly that they don't come across as brainwashed. This is very difficult, so it's rare, but if you get a very high heart over wisdom level they will do it automatically. Either way, being a sleeper requires that conservative society *not* know that anything is amiss. A public kidnapping investigation, or a public conversion to Liberalism, either of these shuts them out of that. (The camping trip or oh it was just a misunderstanding thing is basically how they manage to keep their job after being held in a dark room for a week and not going to work, but it isn't strong enough to save them from the kidnapping investigation.)

Edit: And yes, they are still "missing" even after you've converted them. Even if the public finds out they're with you, they know the person was brainwashed. Once they're captured, they'll be deprogrammed. The kidnapping and brainwashing system is modeled roughly after the SLA kidnapping of Patricia Hearst.

[ May 23, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

Could it be possible to convert someone, ransom them back into conservative society, then contact them afterwards to see if their new liberal mindset has endured in the face of conservative re-programing?  It would carry a risk of course, because contacting them might give the cops a lead on you.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tinhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

I have a question. How do you have them publically announce that they have turned? Also, if you start with a judge for a sleeper, go to jail, then come back, he's at the homeless shelter. How do I send him back downtown again?

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: tinhead ]

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

You can't send them back.  If they're disappearance isn't noticed, they'll go automatically when turned.

The judge thing sounds like a bug.

Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

I saw that judge-at-the-shelter bug too. For some reason my starter-sleeper went into hiding when I got raided and my leader got arrested. After I got out I was checking to see if I had at least one recruit left somewhere (I didn't) and I saw the judge in hiding (I am pretty sure it was the green category). It said his location was the shelter and after a couple of days he went back to sleeping.

So wait a couple of days, guy.

I hypothesize that the judge tried to pull something during our trial, got caught and had to go into hiding for the two years it took my founder during his sentance. Following those two years he slipped in the back door of the court room and resumed his bench.

So do you have to be lucky enough to get your sleeper judge during a trial for him to do you any good?