Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: LCS 3.12 Alpha 8 Windows Download  (Read 9069 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS 3.12 Alpha 8 Windows Download
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>suspected bug: picking locks on cars no longer trains security.
neither does hotwiring them.

[ February 19, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]</STRONG>

Picking locks only trains security if you succeed. If you fail, it doesn't do anything for you. Why make it like this? Because if it doesn't work that way, all you need to do to learn multiple levels of security skill is go to a boring old out of the way car and hold a button down until police come, run away, then go back the next day and continue. If your security skill is low enough, you'll never get the door open, but you will gain endless experience. Now I don't allow door fiddling and messing with the ignition to actually train security unless your character actually manages to do it in the end -- otherwise, they'll leave just as clueless as they came in.

Mercutio Valentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

By the way, why is there no "Ram a screwdriver down the ignition shaft" option? (Hey, if you ever make it so that you can sell stolen cars, that could drastically drop the value.)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 09:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>

Picking locks only trains security if you succeed. If you fail, it doesn't do anything for you. Why make it like this? Because if it doesn't work that way, all you need to do to learn multiple levels of security skill is go to a boring old out of the way car and hold a button down until police come, run away, then go back the next day and continue. If your security skill is low enough, you'll never get the door open, but you will gain endless experience. Now I don't allow door fiddling and messing with the ignition to actually train security unless your character actually manages to do it in the end -- otherwise, they'll leave just as clueless as they came in.</STRONG>

This makes training security impossible, because there is a zero-to-none chance of finding a teacher with any security skill, and people who've already got it cant be tought how to teach, locking you with zero security until ever.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

Actually, nothing like that. It simply takes a lot of time and luck to jam your first car open and hotwire it, but the liberal who succeeds in this task will almost for sure get a point in security. Second and third points will take 4-5 cars each, but afterwards it's easier to get security by tampering with locks at apartments. Afterwards, just keep your lockbreaker with "teach other liberals/covert actions" task until he learns how to teach.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

speaking of security, it seems like the skills gains for opening doors are astounding. My founder went from 5 security, starting, to thirteen are four to five runs through an apartment building.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alaern:
<STRONG>Actually, nothing like that. It simply takes a lot of time and luck to jam your first car open and hotwire it, but the liberal who succeeds in this task will almost for sure get a point in security. </STRONG>

wrong. he will only get one piece of xp for the whole deal. tested (empirically. I guess should actually check the source instead...)

as for teaching done by people with security skill, it can be done, just not very cost efficiently, but you only need security of 1 to start training.

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

Adjusted some of the balance on doors in sitemode vs cars. Note that what I was saying about not getting experience for trying only applies to cars, where you can just hold the button down -- you still get experience for failed attempts in sitemode, where you only get one try.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

Ouch. I'm gonna get shouted at again by people who seem to know everything, but jeez, that makes security training totally inefficient. Anyone can go to apartments and get at least 1 point per run even if he fails all attempts. Not even gaining any heat, I believe.
Still, as strange as this game gets sometimes, it's still fun to play and addictive. Thanks for working on it!

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Alaern ]

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alaern:
<STRONG>Ouch. I'm gonna get shouted at again by people who seem to know everything, but jeez, that makes security training totally inefficient. Anyone can go to apartments and get at least 1 point per run even if he fails all attempts. Not even gaining any heat, I believe.
Still, as strange as this game gets sometimes, it's still fun to play and addictive. Thanks for working on it!

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Alaern ]</STRONG>

Not to mention a point of juice for each successful unlock.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 06:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster:
<STRONG>Not to mention a point of juice for each successful unlock.</STRONG>

now that should generate heat.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »

Question: what does spraypainting do? Act as a tiny liberal influence on that particular site?

If so, it's far easier to just spraypaint all the apartment complexes since everyone seems to come from there :P

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:00 pm »

Get rid of the arresting of people who solicit donations, or take it off of legal fundraising.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

I don;t think that's a crime...
incidentaly what do they charge you with (court text)?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>I don;t think that's a crime...
incidentaly what do they charge you with (court text)?</STRONG>

Nothing, but people who solicit donation (incidentally two of my HIGHEST RANKING 500+ JUICE PEOPLE) vanish while doing it, and show up in the justice system. No mention of what they had done, except all the stuff before that, 132 Counts of murder, 11 of aiding a prison escape, etc..

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

Maybe they caught in a regular police control ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5