Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: giant zombi eagle: my first expiriences  (Read 1837 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
giant zombi eagle: my first expiriences
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »

i recently embarked within a biome mixed of a  hounted mountain side and about 30% of the map being joyious wood.
i knew there wuld be  lots of dangerous cratures there, so i made my woodcutter a good wrestler too and gave him 2 war dogs.
as expected, trouble wasnt far. within the first spring , a giant zombi eagle shown up in the skys.
of cause, i was to stubborn to order all to go inside  - and how culd i, with all my food outside and not a single log in the stores?
but, everything went fine, the eagle stayed in the skys and the cutter was cutting and the rest of the pack was hauling.
until the massages came up:

woodcutter cancels cut wood: interrupted by giant zombi eagle.
the stray war dog has bleeded to death

"omg, i guess someone else will have to cut wood now!" i thougt. i zoomed there, and , of cause the fight was over already, with blood everywhere and  two corpses.
suprisingly, it wasnt my cutter that was dead: it was the eagl.
the other dog must have bitten his head of with the verry first attack.
now : what to do with two such heroic dogs?
for the dead one its clear: he will be burried within a good mausoleum. well good... its the first season, it will have sandwalls and a crappy stone coffin.

but whats about the hero dog? i wuld like to let him live in peace for the rest of his live, last but not least because his frontleg is nearly ripped of. but, as he is attached to the cutter, i can not just put him off duty.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: giant zombi eagle: my first expiriences
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:40:54 pm »

lost dog- neutered, one ear, one eye, 3 legs, answers to the name 'Lucky'

better keep the axe-man happy, or when that dog dies he may snap.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:48:06 pm »

Whats your native languge motor
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:49 pm »

Whats your native languge motor
äh.. its not english. how you noticed? ^^

better keep the axe-man happy, or when that dog dies he may snap.
jeah. i had to let him start a romance to prevent a tantrum

sadly, they didnt burry the dead dog. properbly because refuse from outside was disabled, but i noticed to late.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:47:44 pm »

You could let the woodcutter become a fortress guard instead, wouldn't need to go outside then and probably won't have any opponents worse than a goblin babysnatcher.  Oh and enable animal care on him, I don't think it gets the pet better any faster, but supposably he'll get experience from it.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »

You might be able to trap the dog in a nice kennel using a similar approach to how some players trap and kill their dwarves' pet cats. Make the kennel, temporarily recruit your woodcutter into the military (he shouldn't get a bad thought from this since he already has both military and non-military skills), and station him inside the kennel. When the dog follows him in there set the kennel's door to "closed tightly", which allows dwarves to pass through it but not pets. De-recruit the woodcutter and hopefully when he leaves the kennel the door will shut behind him before the dog is able to follow him through. You could also do this manually by locking the door the moment the dwarf's through.

Alternately, is the dog wounded badly enough that it passes out on a regular basis? An unconscious pet will trigger traps, so you could station the woodcutter in a room full of cage traps to get the dog put into one of them. It'd make it easier to move him around later, but I've never fiddled around with this myself so I don't know if dwarves will 'rescue' their pets from cages when they're trapped in this manner.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 05:48:35 am »

good idea to trap him.

im still with my starting 7, fall now.
so no fortress guard.