Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coding/Modding?  (Read 1449 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coding/Modding?
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

I've heard you can code in weapons and things into LCS, but the DAT files show up as computer language in a txt version, and none of the other files seem to be moddable. Help?

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coding/Modding?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

Err... what DAT files would these be, then?  :)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

Darn. Reminds me of when I had to learn DOSBox to play those abandon-ware games... Thanks for the info.

Mercutio Valentine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

...Dude... This is C++...?

Hell, I have a little experience in C++. Only real language I do, to tell the truth. I'm... probably going to grab the source code and dick around. Might come up with something neat.

(JSF, feel free to suggest anything easy to add that you just haven't gotten around to yet because it's low priority.)

Wisq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

It bears noting that LCS is a lot more C-like than I expected from a C++ program -- procedural versus OO, global versus encapsulated, etc.  But then, I've never actively worked with C++, so I'm not really one to say.  :)

Certainly, that lack of C++ experience hasn't stopped me, since the grand majority seems to just be the standard C stuff I'm used to, albeit with some C++ objects for support (e.g. vectors), and the occasional method or two.