Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 238428 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:49 pm »

I just noticed that my swordsman companion was 92 years old. And he's missing an eye.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 10:26:21 am »

Floors allow light to pass through it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 04:23:42 pm »

If an unwelcome visiting dragon bumps into a kobold thief and burninates it, you see a cloud of smoke running around for no discernable reason.  Then you see a !!kobold thief corpse!! drop.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:28 pm »

Modding your dwarf temperature to an insane amount may set your clothes on fire, burn nearby humans, and evaporate water, but it will not save you from wolves or melt ice.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 12:55:23 am »

The direction the sun rises and sets is random and differs from world to world.

Also, walls in towns in really really hot places will display as 'warm larch wall'
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 10:24:42 am »

When you throw coins, it does insane damage.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 03:06:21 pm »

The direction the sun rises and sets is random and differs from world to world.

Also, walls in towns in really really hot places will display as 'warm larch wall'

Seriously? That's awesome.

The goblins bring elf soldiers with them occasionally.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 04:20:24 pm »

Edit: Nevermind the stuff below. Wrong forum. But cool nonetheless.

Dwarven merchants really like your fortress. They wander around aimlessly, sometimes stopping at a fine statue or something. Or on a tile which was designated to be channeled as a part of a canal from the river. ;D

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 08:59:39 pm »

When you throw coins, it does insane damage.

Applies to everything my friend, but yes, it is very cool to throw a coin at someone, hit him in the throat, and watch him slowly suffocate to death from a crushed larnyx.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 01:19:26 am »

I learned that if a creature with a high fixed temperature ambushes an adventurer on a glacier, then they instantly melt the ice beneath their feet, falling downwards only to have the ice then immediately refreeze, sealing them in a block of ice.

I also learned about the collapsing town problem. (Town buildings in ocean towns placed over water, but gravity does not affect them until an adventurer comes into town, causing them then to instantly collapse.) I also learned that it can apply to the mead hall, causing your adventurer to be instantly killed by the collapsing building when he appears. I lost an extreme legendary adventurer in this method.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 01:39:45 am »

I also learned about the collapsing town problem. (Town buildings in ocean towns placed over water, but gravity does not affect them until an adventurer comes into town, causing them then to instantly collapse.) I also learned that it can apply to the mead hall, causing your adventurer to be instantly killed by the collapsing building when he appears. I lost an extreme legendary adventurer in this method.
I filed a bug report on that ;)

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 02:50:43 pm »

"You know, this seems like an incredibly unsafe way to build a ta-*crash*"

"Ahhh, cripes, another adventurer. We have to rebuild the floating tavern again?!"
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:36 am »

Awaken my child and embrace the glory that is your birthrite. Know that i am the Overmind, ...

:P Sorry got carried away with the thread necromancy speech, but i found something rather interesting.

When you try to sell a live critter you catch (by picking them up, 'g'et: a rat (here) type deals), the shopkeeper complains that he can't take it all squirming around, but he'd consider trading for it if it was in a cage or something.

Haven't tried stuffing things into a cage or animal trap yet and selling those, it's kinda offputting that the only way to acquire these things is by making them in fortress mode and abandoning.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 01:02:13 am »

Animals that gain "names" gain them in the language of the creature they killed.

For example, on of my first named animals in my current fort was named Zuslorokub, which translates to Helmcolumns in goblin.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 01:31:28 am »

A clerk i met in adventure mode was arund since world gen
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 95