Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 235200 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 04:52:18 am »

A clerk i met in adventure mode was arund since world gen

Profound. Would be slightly more so if worldgen always went all the way to year 1050 like it used to.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 10:03:55 am »

Yeh he had been a clerk for 125 years. I tied to get a screen to show, but I haven't got the hang of it yet, he was also toalking about his grandma who settled in a dark fortress in something like 34.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 02:12:42 pm »

I just noticed that every land mass has it's own name, continents, islands, etc.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 07:03:57 pm »

A Camel that I encountered deep with my adventurer in one of my abandoned fortresses (probably left over from some traders) wearing a full set of clothes ;D
(and I mean everything a normal person (human or elf, s they were of large size) would wear, socks and shoes on each of the 4 legs, a skirt (it was a female camel after all ;D ) loincloth, dress and so on. The best thing it wore was a camel leather coat ;D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 12:54:11 am »

A Camel that I encountered deep with my adventurer in one of my abandoned fortresses (probably left over from some traders) wearing a full set of clothes ;D
(and I mean everything a normal person (human or elf, s they were of large size) would wear, socks and shoes on each of the 4 legs, a skirt (it was a female camel after all ;D ) loincloth, dress and so on. The best thing it wore was a camel leather coat ;D

Wut?

That's a bug right there, you should report it. Since all animals (that have a max age?) die upon abandon it can't have been yours. Also, camels don't (shouldn't) have [EQUIPS] so they shouldn't be wearing clothes anyways. Did you do any modding?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 03:34:05 am »

Wut?

That's a bug right there, you should report it. Since all animals (that have a max age?) die upon abandon it can't have been yours. Also, camels don't (shouldn't) have [EQUIPS] so they shouldn't be wearing clothes anyways. Did you do any modding?

Nope, no modding at all
But the animals (there was not only the (named) camel but also others, Mules and the like,  I found at an earlier time) definitely belonged to the (human) trading caravan (donīt know if there was any at my Depot during the time of abandonment, but considering the animals and human traders I assume it was) and therefore wouldnīt get killed when I abaondoned my fortress.
There are a couple of human traders in the fortress as well, also a human Liaison (although some of them already got killed by critters in the fortress [it has both, a chasm and an underground open pit, so expect lots of troglodytes, cave swallow men, batmen, ratmen and giant cave swallows ;)]).

Of course I agree, the equipped camel could be a bug. I know of no other camel that would wear rope reed socks and rope reed shoes or any of the other pieces of clothing it wore. ;D
Dunno if it equipped itself from the stockpiles of the fortress, or came equipped (considering the uniformity of each set of socks and shoes I would, however, assume that it came equipped).

I will open a thread in the bugs sub about it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:45:27 am by Proteus »

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 04:30:39 am »

If you create a creature that needs to breathe, but don't give them lungs, they'll survive untill you  enter the town as an adventurer.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 10:58:14 am »

Dunno if it equipped itself from the stockpiles of the fortress, or came equipped (considering the uniformity of each set of socks and shoes I would, however, assume that it came equipped).

No no, civ creatures generate their own equipment. For example if you have miners/woodcutters with no pickaxes/battle axes they'll have the appropriate tools when you abandon and visit as an adventurer.

This leads me to another discovery of mine (a while back actually). When you settle a naked adventurer in a town (of any race) and then visit the town with another adventurer, the first adventurer will receive a set of clothes befitting the race that owns the town. This applies to any species and size of adventurer. So it is possible to kit out a titan or minotaur adventurer. It also applies to kobold caves.

Existing clothes you have might be replaced with civ-appropriate clothes. Equipment (clothes, armor, jewelry) you are wearing might get decorations added to them. Armor also might be upgraded to higher quality levels. I played a lizardman which got a set of iron armor from a goblin (burned him down) and settled in a town, and the helmet changed from 'iron helmet' to '+iron helmet+' among other things.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:01:42 am by Neoskel »

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 11:04:54 am »

No no, civ creatures generate their own equipment. For example if you have miners/woodcutters with no pickaxes/battle axes they'll have the appropriate tools when you abandon and visit as an adventurer.

This leads me to another discovery of mine (a while back actually). When you settle a naked adventurer in a town (of any race) and then visit the town with another adventurer, the first adventurer will receive a set of clothes befitting the race that owns the town. This applies to any species and size of adventurer. So it is possible to kit out a titan or minotaur adventurer. It also applies to kobold caves.

Fascinating.
That leads to another interesting  question:
What happens when you retire a naked adventurer,
visit the town with another adventurer (so that the old adventurer gets equipped)
and later then reactivate this old adventurer.
Will he retain the equipment he had when the other adventurer visited,
or will he just have the equipment he had when he was retired?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 11:14:13 am »

What happens when you retire a naked adventurer,
visit the town with another adventurer (so that the old adventurer gets equipped)
and later then reactivate this old adventurer.
Will he retain the equipment he had when the other adventurer visited,
or will he just have the equipment he had when he was retired?

He'll have the equipment the second adventurer saw, the same way the other townspeople will keep the same clothes.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 11:44:36 am »

Existing clothes you have might be replaced with civ-appropriate clothes. Equipment (clothes, armor, jewelry) you are wearing might get decorations added to them. Armor also might be upgraded to higher quality levels. I played a lizardman which got a set of iron armor from a goblin (burned him down) and settled in a town, and the helmet changed from 'iron helmet' to '+iron helmet+' among other things.

How did you mod Lizard men playable? Can you tell me?
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 01:03:59 pm »

How did you mod Lizard men playable? Can you tell me?

Just put this in the entity file:
Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:LIZARDMAN]
[INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
[CREATURE:LIZARDMAN]
You can substitute the lizardmen for whatever you want, my favorite adventuring race is minotaurs.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 05:42:55 am »

If I play as an Lizardman Adventurer where will I start?

Also lizrads are [vermin_eaters]

How do I make it so I can have a civilization of underground Lizardmen?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:02:37 am by Hoborobo234 »

popo999

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:13 am »

My adventurer just put on a golden plate mail and his color changed into yellow.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 12:42:28 pm »

If I play as an Lizardman Adventurer where will I start?

Also lizrads are [vermin_eaters]

How do I make it so I can have a civilization of underground Lizardmen?

Haiz. Lizardmen are already in the game, they're a type of animalmen found in underground water features. No connection to lizard vermin other than name.

Playnow characters will go to a random town, but if you've made and abandoned a fortress they'll go there instead.

Lastly, the best you can get is tribes of lizardmen living in caves, but then they won't expand (unless theres a tribe of kobold next to them? Maybe.). You could also have them live in mountain halls like dwarves, but you can't make a truly subterranean civ as of now. Go to the modding subforum for more specific information.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:46:00 pm by Neoskel »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 95