Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 238572 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2008, 02:02:14 pm »

Ok THX i would if I could make a tribe of lizaARDMEN WHO LIVE IN uNDERGROUND RIVERS
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2008, 02:40:42 pm »

I started with a new dwarf adventurerer and found myself in a dark tower, in the midst of a battle dwarves against dwarves.

Obviously some kind of civil war, where some of the dwarves had been declared enemies upon my "arrival"  as well as the goblin priestess that resided in the temple.

I still donīt know what triggred the civil war, but obviously my (perfectly normal) dwarven nation conquered the dark fortress from the goblins around 200 years ago. I suspect that the goblin fortress also was home to dark darves, and that my dwarven nation let some of them (as well as the goblin priestess) live and only my arrival there triggered a renewal of hostilities (obviously initiated by the priestess, which, upon my arrival told me that she wanted to see me die).

Really nice battle, although I didnīt get to kill the priestess myself, she was killed by one of my dwarven brethren

Eldin

• Bay Watcher
  • BINGO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 09:40:57 pm »

When I realized a few moments ago that flying adventurers can shot people from multiple Z-levels away.
Hi!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 10:23:46 pm »

Good: Flying creatures can attack adventurer from MANY z-levels up.
 Better: You can counterattack them.
 Even better: The counterattack will likely make them knocked out.
 Best: Knocked out creatures cannot fly.

Thus some spunky giant bat attacks you. You smack it in the head. It falls down twenty z-levels, all of its limbs scattered about the local area.

One of the better glitches.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2008, 10:33:57 am »

I have learned that if you wrestle someone who is flying there is an option to throw the creature by a grabbed body part. If you do this successfully, the creature automatically falls and hits the ground. I learned this when I intended to kill some flying civ enemies with a flying adventurer by flying 15 z-levels up and breaking their wings. Then a peasant threw me by the nose, and I plummeted to the ground and slammed into it, exploding into parts.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2008, 11:56:06 pm »

I'd been ambushed while traveling over a glacier, and it brought me down to find I was to fight near the edge of the glacier. As I fought, I noticed that the outer edge of said glacier was melting and flooding the rest of the map. Better, there was a sort of icy hill on the glacier a few z-levels higher that I was. I had way too much fun letting a sasquatch chase me through thawing waterfalls.

First time I noticed the effects of seasons in adventure mode. Also, first time I'd seen glaciers begin a spring thaw. Badass.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2008, 03:33:23 pm »

I entered a random town, spoke to a priest and he told me life in a word is pain, he latter explained all I need to know could be answered by talking to an entity he called "Doomtower", after this I could indeed target the ground anywhere in town and speak to "Doomtower", but sadly, the god would not answer me...
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2008, 04:34:30 am »

Well, an elite bowman wanted me to kill a dragon. A skeletal dragon. Of course I was going to die, but I managed to fight it in melee for quite some time, blocking the dragonfire and sidestepping almost everything - until my backpack caught on fire. In the backpack was a dwarven ale barrel I'd looted from an old fortress and it exploded! I kept fighting a few rounds, blistering, but it's hard to dodge attacks when you're on fire and several pieces of, er, you are blown away :D

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2008, 01:04:43 pm »

Well, an elite bowman wanted me to kill a dragon. A skeletal dragon. Of course I was going to die, but I managed to fight it in melee for quite some time, blocking the dragonfire and sidestepping almost everything - until my backpack caught on fire. In the backpack was a dwarven ale barrel I'd looted from an old fortress and it exploded! I kept fighting a few rounds, blistering, but it's hard to dodge attacks when you're on fire and several pieces of, er, you are blown away :D

I thought exploding booze was a myth. Someone prove this for me.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2008, 01:14:15 pm »

Nope. Beer explodes and burns quite readily.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Massam

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait...you're putting me in charge?!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2008, 03:20:12 pm »

If you create a custom first name, everyone will make fun of it....Your parents must have been interesting....Does that mean something?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »

I just tested it by dropping a barrel full of dwarven rum on a burning shrub.  It does spread boiling dwarven rum in a fairly large radius and vaporize any other booze in the area.  However it does not ignite anything or spread, or even burn the wooden barrel, strangely.

The only wounds I was able to get from the booze were light gray ones over every surface of my adventurer.  While not life threatening, they have the nasty effect of making your eyes unusable.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:31 pm »

You can talk to gods. So far, they haven't said anything. How can you gain favor with gods? Will they ever say anything?

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2008, 10:32:19 pm »

They don't and cannot and will never say anything at the moment, but there will be praying to gods later.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2008, 04:49:54 am »

I just tested it by dropping a barrel full of dwarven rum on a burning shrub.  It does spread boiling dwarven rum in a fairly large radius and vaporize any other booze in the area.  However it does not ignite anything or spread, or even burn the wooden barrel, strangely.

The only wounds I was able to get from the booze were light gray ones over every surface of my adventurer.  While not life threatening, they have the nasty effect of making your eyes unusable.

So, essentially, 1st and 2nd degree burns from scalding vapors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 95