Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 237311 times)

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
  • Buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp!
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1260 on: August 01, 2010, 02:18:21 pm »

I entered a random town, spoke to a priest and he told me life in a word is pain, he latter explained all I need to know could be answered by talking to an entity he called "Doomtower", after this I could indeed target the ground anywhere in town and speak to "Doomtower", but sadly, the god would not answer me...

There is a town in one of my worlds that worships gambling.... Praise Gambling.....Life in one word is gambling

I  just joined a temple that worships disease. They´re called "The Order of Cancer" and their god is called "Ongul the Pulpy Sucker". I hope adventurer mode worship to be added in the next update. Imagine having a conversation with Ongul the Pulpy Sucker, the head of The Order of Cancer. Praise disease.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 01, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »

Imagine having a conversation with Ongul the Pulpy Sucker, the head of The Order of Cancer. Praise disease.

So far there's no evidence of gods being real in DF (which is another shining example of this game's realism), and I think that might actually be intentional. I fucking laughed out loud when I first tried to have a conversation with a god whose religion I joined and it remained silent.

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 01, 2010, 04:19:06 pm »

Imagine having a conversation with Ongul the Pulpy Sucker, the head of The Order of Cancer. Praise disease.

So far there's no evidence of gods being real in DF (which is another shining example of this game's realism), and I think that might actually be intentional. I fucking laughed out loud when I first tried to have a conversation with a god whose religion I joined and it remained silent.

But seriously, how do the gods gain their first followers?  I mean, how do they interact with people without having anyone speak for them?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 01, 2010, 04:44:45 pm »

I would like to point that every deity that any entity - virtual or not - worship, has been made up in their little minds because they were more or less bored and decided to do something creative.

They never planned the fact that half of the world will begin to worship their imaginative friend.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 01, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »

I would like to point that every deity that any entity - virtual or not - worship, has been made up in their little minds because they were more or less bored and decided to do something creative.

They never planned the fact that half of the world will begin to worship their imaginative friend.

So you mean that the deitys were founded by one worshipper, rather than by the "gods" themselves? That would be a neat little butterfly effect, which further proves how dynamic DF is.

And did I mention that Ongul the Pulpy Sucker is portrayed as a rotting male human. What a guy.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:03:45 pm by Comrade_Fregge »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 02, 2010, 03:27:33 am »

I didn't notice until now that if you fall into the glowing pits, you can see your picture shrink from the symbol for a log, to a big dot, then a small dot, then nothing. Best of all, it maintains your current color, which appears to be caused by your armor.

This game is amazing.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 02, 2010, 03:29:58 am »

Just like real religion :P (just kidding)

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 02, 2010, 02:11:46 pm »

I just realised that wrestling is still totally overpowered, if you are a super fast, super strong and super big creature are?
Ignore that bear, just throw it into a wall!
(Pinching the head works well too)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 03, 2010, 05:39:37 pm »

Thanks to some weird timing, I managed to press shift+A before I got the report that I'd died.  For the hell of it, I tried attacking the bronze colossus that had killed me, expecting maybe a snarky message reminding me of my current health.  Amazingly, the attack happened, and connected, and I got something like this:
"You push the bronze colossus in the right lower leg, but the attack goes right through!"
Apparently, as a last act of spite, my soul separated from my corpse and tried to take its revenge but discovered it was incorporeal.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 03, 2010, 05:45:11 pm »

That's awesome. Glad to see stuff like that is accounted for. Like trying to check the time when dead.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 03, 2010, 06:31:58 pm »

Thanks to some weird timing, I managed to press shift+A before I got the report that I'd died.  For the hell of it, I tried attacking the bronze colossus that had killed me, expecting maybe a snarky message reminding me of my current health.  Amazingly, the attack happened, and connected, and I got something like this:
"You push the bronze colossus in the right lower leg, but the attack goes right through!"
Apparently, as a last act of spite, my soul separated from my corpse and tried to take its revenge but discovered it was incorporeal.

It's things like this that make dwarf fortress so awesome.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 07, 2010, 07:32:24 pm »

I had a guy described as "Starts talking to inanimate objects when he's bored" conduct a meeting with his cabinet. No joke.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 07, 2010, 08:21:44 pm »

I had a guy described as "Starts talking to inanimate objects when he's bored" conduct a meeting with his cabinet. No joke.

So they ACTUALLY use those traits? I want proof that he wasn't just standing near a cabinet with the conduct meeting job on waiting for someone that may or may not have been able to get there, like the liaison you may or may not have locked outside with the goblins.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 08, 2010, 06:32:09 pm »

It could have been that. Someone give me Taking Screenshots 101 and next time it happens, I'll get it and see what's going on.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 08, 2010, 07:08:39 pm »

Little Fun fact: You know how when it's lunch/dinner time and the people comes home to eat, they will get a piece of food and place it on their table and begin eating...they usually take a while.

You can then pick that food up and throw it on the floor, they'll look at you funny but will then forget about it and get a new one out of their barrel.

I found it amusing...but I don't remember trying again and pestering them...(cuz' you know, I was planning to burn the whole place down)
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 95