Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 237525 times)

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1290 on: August 29, 2010, 04:02:41 pm »

You can grab and strangle six wolves at once.  My dwarven wrestler did that recently.
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08:10 pm »

When you go into a martial trance, every wrestling throw causes the thrown enemy to explode against an object. Mead Halls are far more interesting with exploding people flying everywhere  :D
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:14 am »

Animal parts in inventory will never rot. Not corpses, not meat or other parts. Ever. Even if your entire body is rotting from necrosis, that flesh is still fresh.

I didn't just notice that, I just realized it's been a game decade since dragons were extinct, and I've still got pounds of scrumptious dragon brains and livers. Of course, the best parts of the dragon, the heart, are long gone, but every year that I kept them jealously hoarded to munch on they stayed good, while the general meat I left on the ground was rotten in about 2-3 days.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17:45 am »

when you are high in a mountain, dawn comes earlier. as you descend a mountain during sunrise, you can slip back into "predawn".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 29, 2010, 11:20:45 am »

when you are high in a mountain, dawn comes earlier. as you descend a mountain during sunrise, you can slip back into "predawn".

O_O that. is. awesome...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 29, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »

Holy hell. I had no idea that sunrise was modeled like that. Toady never ceases to amaze.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:33 pm »

On re-check , it was actually nightfall. I had just loaded the save and forgot the time of day in-game. But it still had to do with the altitude, because I could switch between "dark" and "dusk" just by moving one step up the mountain.

I'd assume it worked the same with dawn, though.

O_O that. is. awesome...

It really is. :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 29, 2010, 06:14:56 pm »

It's entirely possible Toady's made the entire game, it's just that none of us (And him) have noticed yet. These aren't new versions, these are discoveries!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 29, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »

I found out that if you make a adventurer reaction that takes ANYthing and turn it into an axe.
you earn the ability to grab  MAT-breathe form it into an Axe then throw it straight back to the foul creature who used that attack.

I wonder if this means we can make dragonfire shields and axes?
That's pretty nice...just what tags are needed for "anything" regents? Farthest weird stuff I created so far Human muscle backpacks & Elven guts waterskins.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 29, 2010, 08:43:11 pm »

Dude, I so want a dragonfire sword. That would be incredibly badass.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:34 pm »

until you burn your hand (off)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

TheHaunted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 29, 2010, 09:05:09 pm »

I found out that "The vomit disappears into the water." message appears even when the vomit lands in a dried up murky pool and there isn't a drop of water for a good few miles.  There also is no vomit to pick up afterward.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 30, 2010, 03:43:46 am »

until you burn your hand (off)

Nethercap gauntlets. FTW.

I found out that "The vomit disappears into the water." message appears even when the vomit lands in a dried up murky pool and there isn't a drop of water for a good few miles.  There also is no vomit to pick up afterward.

What message? Where does that come up?
[/quote]

TheHaunted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 30, 2010, 11:28:19 am »

What message? Where does that come up?
Basically, if you are in a dried up murky pool, it will still act like a murky pool in regards to what happens to vomit.  For example, if you start vomiting in it, the vomit will disappear even though there's no water for it to disappear into.  Which is depressing when kill something with vomit after being randomly ambushed, but I felt was interesting.  Not sure if it's supposed to work like that, but that's what I've found in 31.12 anyway.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 30, 2010, 02:08:30 pm »

Wow. You are right. I had never noticed the "vomit disappearing" text before.

Ok. I have a new thing I just discovered: you can swim UP waterfalls, if you are both speedy, and clever.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 95