Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 235164 times)

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1320 on: July 15, 2014, 12:44:16 pm »

In adventure mode your own character can cry.  But we do not notice unless we closely examine our inventories, and it does not stop them from doing horrible things.

It is confirmed, we are uncaring gods/goddesses taking complete control over some poor sap.  They see everything we make them do, they feel everything.  They watch under no control as we mercilessly butcher their neighbors and friends.  They cannot scream, all they can do is silently weep as the puppetmaster makes their arm swing the sword.

That reminds me of Mass Effect indoctrination...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:36 pm »

In adventure mode your own character can cry.  But we do not notice unless we closely examine our inventories, and it does not stop them from doing horrible things.

It is confirmed, we are uncaring gods/goddesses taking complete control over some poor sap.  They see everything we make them do, they feel everything.  They watch under no control as we mercilessly butcher their neighbors and friends.  They cannot scream, all they can do is silently weep as the puppetmaster makes their arm swing the sword.

Jesus, that sounds like a 'I have no mouth and I must scream' scenario, good thing it isn't actually what's happeni---

Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Holf yuck, that's horrifying.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 15, 2014, 03:06:34 pm »

Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.
Wow. Um. Yeah.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 15, 2014, 04:02:54 pm »

They definitely explains why Adventurers can go off and do their own thing once you retire them, and those things don't have to have anything to do with how you were playing them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1324 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:12 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't yet "train" them according to your play-style or anything, though any entity memberships you have at the retire should be respected, as well as the reputation/friendships and other relationships that are tracked to whatever degree.  I remember we had some plans to allow a retirement to be to do a specific thing for a period (weapon practice, working etc.), and you could just watch the calendar or do another character while it happens to keep them a little more tied down.  But none of that stops their village from being attacked or whatever.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 15, 2014, 04:38:59 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't yet "train" them according to your play-style or anything, though any entity memberships you have at the retire should be respected, as well as the reputation/friendships and other relationships that are tracked to whatever degree.  I remember we had some plans to allow a retirement to be to do a specific thing for a period (weapon practice, working etc.), and you could just watch the calendar or do another character while it happens to keep them a little more tied down.
That sounds awesome. I hope it will be implemented.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 15, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »

I feel terrible for taking control of adventurers now....

...Oh well. *Strangles a shopkeeper with one hand while stabbing another in the eye with the first merchant's carving knife*
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:45:02 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:53 pm »

Here's a funny thing I just found. I visited a cave housing a gloom creature, and he had a nice little kitchen set up. There was a quern set up with dead bumblebees around it, and a cauldron filled with elf blood and bumblebee paste. :)
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 16, 2014, 06:37:22 am »

Here's a funny thing I just found. I visited a cave housing a gloom creature, and he had a nice little kitchen set up. There was a quern set up with dead bumblebees around it, and a cauldron filled with elf blood and bumblebee paste. :)

Not only that, but night creature spouses and their children tend to stick together in one lair. I can imagine them having sweet family moments together while skinning a dwarf they plucked from the woods.
They're not evil! They just want to raise a family and eat people.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 16, 2014, 11:14:57 pm »

Soooo . . . we're Goa'uld? Awesome! I shall make entire civilizations fall in submission to my might and serve me well. Or, you know, just continue in Fortress mode taking care of hordes of dwarves in ways that DON'T cause mass harm. I love Fortress mode too much to go running around in Adventure until it's possible to run a Fortress as mayor instead of unseen God. Hell, to start a Fortress as a founding member and run it from within a dwarf.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 16, 2014, 11:31:41 pm »

Soooo . . . we're Goa'uld? Awesome! I shall make entire civilizations fall in submission to my might and serve me well. Or, you know, just continue in Fortress mode taking care of hordes of dwarves in ways that DON'T cause mass harm. I love Fortress mode too much to go running around in Adventure until it's possible to run a Fortress as mayor instead of unseen God. Hell, to start a Fortress as a founding member and run it from within a dwarf.
Preposterous.

Dwarves are so batshit insane compared to humans that trying to comprehend its thought process would lead to you yourself going stark raving mad!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 18, 2014, 05:44:35 pm »

Dwarf mode squads appear to sprint into battle for the last dozen yards, greatly reducing injuries from elf archers.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 18, 2014, 06:09:14 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't yet "train" them according to your play-style or anything, though any entity memberships you have at the retire should be respected, as well as the reputation/friendships and other relationships that are tracked to whatever degree.  I remember we had some plans to allow a retirement to be to do a specific thing for a period (weapon practice, working etc.), and you could just watch the calendar or do another character while it happens to keep them a little more tied down.  But none of that stops their village from being attacked or whatever.

Toady, would it ever be possible to fully customize an Adventure's personality, as one could customize last names? It seems like that could be interesting to make a psychopath knight like the Mountain, or a simple happy-go-lucky peasant like Bilbo Baggins. You've already made a "Local Important" and "Peasant" choices.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 18, 2014, 09:10:37 pm »

Toady, would it ever be possible to fully customize an Adventure's personality, as one could customize last names? It seems like that could be interesting to make a psychopath knight like the Mountain, or a simple happy-go-lucky peasant like Bilbo Baggins. You've already made a "Local Important" and "Peasant" choices.

You should ask in the Future of the Fort thread, that's the place to ask stuff like that.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 18, 2014, 10:05:20 pm »

seeing how everything in DF has a personality even the monsters you kill it won't surprise me that your adventurer has one as-well. shame there's no vanilla way to check though I do remember using dwarf companion to see my adventurers character's stats where. then again adventurers back then had no likes or dislikes or favorite items thus made getting them to be friends or form relationships with any one a huge pain(they make a good noble though).
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 95