Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 235220 times)

Snodrvr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #1350 on: August 07, 2014, 04:16:26 pm »

I just noticed something pretty cool. I started an adventurer from a retired fortress. I talked to the militia commander, became a militia dwarf, and asked for an assignment. He told me about a goblin site called Terrorwalked. After some adventuring and fighting, I retired my adventurer and resumed the fortress. To my surprise, My adventurer was still there and had been added to a squad. More interestingly, Where normally the squad shows it's orders (Station, Kill X, etc) the current order was listed as "Drive the Spry Poisons from Terrorwalked". (The Spry Poisons being the name of the goblin civilization).

Obviously the dwarves can't obey that order (yet), instead choosing to spar and train in the barracks. Still, it's neat to think about what this might mean for a future version.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:44 pm »

I saw a guy get mugged in the street, then beaten to death unconsciousness. I love it!

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:07 am »

I saw a guy get mugged in the street, then beaten to death unconsciousness. I love it!
Holy shit I forgot this was a DF thread for a second.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 19, 2014, 11:41:07 pm »

You can collect mussel and oyster from beach, put them into backpack, wait a day until they turn to raw mussels and raw oysters, and sell them to merchant. I once came across some glass-eyes, and I think you can pick them up from water and then sell the raw fish as well.

It is possible to fish as fisherdwarves do in fort mode.

However, when I tried to "L"ook around ponds during summer, hoping that I could find some moghoppers, I could only find louse and thrip.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:06 am »

In 34.11 bag only hold 50 water. Now in 40.09 bag hold 100 water. Grateful.

hatiphnatus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:21 pm »

I made an elf adventurer and upon starting my quest I saw that most of the trees is inhabited not by other elves, but by zombies. Elf, goblin and human zombies. Then they proceeded to slaughter living population of the retreat, and fight amongst themselves. I think some people take post mortem revenge in their own hands. Also, when I left the retreat (in a great hurry) I was ambushed by a group of about 20 zombies who, instead of trying to kill me, started ripping off other's limbs. It was really amusing to watch this happen.

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 20, 2014, 04:26:30 pm »

I made an elf adventurer and upon starting my quest I saw that most of the trees is inhabited not by other elves, but by zombies. Elf, goblin and human zombies. Then they proceeded to slaughter living population of the retreat, and fight amongst themselves. I think some people take post mortem revenge in their own hands. Also, when I left the retreat (in a great hurry) I was ambushed by a group of about 20 zombies who, instead of trying to kill me, started ripping off other's limbs. It was really amusing to watch this happen.
Obviously they're fighting each other to see who gets the right to kill you. Most of this time this method fails because their victim either ends up walking away or dying of laughter.

But the undead do not care.
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

DoucheBeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 21, 2014, 05:23:53 pm »

Found out jumping on enemies sometimes make them fly away hilariously to the direction you jump to, just like stomping on goombas but with more blood and gore xD. Though it only works if you're larger than the one you're about to jump on  :(

Oberyn Smashedface

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 21, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »

Towns can be terrorized by geese.  There was a white "g" accompanying some bandits in a raid. Naturally I assumed Goblin Wrestler at first, but no.  Goose Recruit.  Tough little guy too...went right after me. None of this "have the tables turned?" or "I must withdraw!" while sprinting away.  I honestly felt bad about cleaving his neck in two, and I made a point to not harvest his meat.  An adversary that brave deserves to not be desecrated. 

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:25 am »

Today, i looked at my fortress of Sashasoddom in legends mode to see what happened after i retired it.
I got this...

In the Late Autumn of 250, The Mythical Theatre of The Glazes of Glorifying at the settlement of Rushcloistered regained their senses after another period of questionable judgement.

Considering how "well" i ran the fort, this was an apt summary.
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 24, 2014, 08:37:27 pm »

Today, i looked at my fortress of Sashasoddom in legends mode to see what happened after i retired it.
I got this...

In the Late Autumn of 250, The Mythical Theatre of The Glazes of Glorifying at the settlement of Rushcloistered regained their senses after another period of questionable judgement.

Is this Toady editorializing on how player run forts work?  Or is he just trying to explain all the weirdness that players get up to?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 25, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »

I got this...

Is this Toady editorializing on how player run forts work?  Or is he just trying to explain all the weirdness that players get up to?
Questionable judgment is a very.... polite way of putting "Run by average Bay 12 residwarf".
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:42 am »

Huh.

Pressing v and looking at cats in Fort mode says simply "Legendary climber" where there was nothing for the various other animals around it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 29, 2014, 03:38:42 pm »

Corpses contain all the information about every wound on them, including how much pain it caused, when it happened, who did it, whether the wound got infected...

Unfortunately, Dwarf Fortress never displays that, but the data's there for the future, I guess.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 29, 2014, 04:03:39 pm »

Probably for autopsies?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 95