Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 235170 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #540 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:23 am »

You will get branded as public enemy number 1 simply by yanking a child's sock off him, and the socks of all the guards who give pursuit.

This is also enough to get you shot and killed.

socks are quite the precious commodity it seems O_o

Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 20, 2009, 06:03:20 am »

Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 20, 2009, 06:04:42 am »

The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.
So socks cost an arm and a leg.  Perfect.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2009, 12:31:12 am »

That water pumped towards a Ramp will not only go over the ramp into what ever is behind it, but will attempt to rise above, fail if there is not anywhere accessible to reach then push back against the inflow in a ripple effect before being bounced back by the Pump/wall...

Was filling an Aqueduct dug through the mountain and left a couple of ramps there, just in case. The water needs to pass the ramp to continue down the aqueduct...

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 26, 2009, 12:41:14 am »

i dont understand

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 26, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »

That water pumped towards a Ramp will not only go over the ramp into what ever is behind it, but will attempt to rise above, fail if there is not anywhere accessible to reach then push back against the inflow in a ripple effect before being bounced back by the Pump/wall...

Was filling an Aqueduct dug through the mountain and left a couple of ramps there, just in case. The water needs to pass the ramp to continue down the aqueduct...

This is the adventure mode forum btw.

You can survive with dozens of arrows stuck in you, provided they don't hit vital organs.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 27, 2009, 11:31:45 am »

You can survive with dozens of arrows stuck in you, provided they don't hit vital organs.

Just like in real life...

With the exception of not losing any motor function.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 29, 2009, 03:27:02 am »

Just like in real life...

With the exception of not losing any motor function.

I suspect that if you have a nice layer of blubber you could carry several arrows in it. Won't be pretty, though.

(Ah, I think cool things in fortress mode count too)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 04, 2009, 04:58:44 pm »

Well, fighting my way through human towns (XP and loot!) I discovered that if you smash someone's face in with a crossbow they won't wake up, but if you grab them by the third finger on the left hand with a sock, they get up and fire a bolt through your stomach. Also, I noticed that all people sleep in full armour with their weapons in their hands. If all that is needed to get attacked is to pull on someone's finger when they're sleeping, imagine the number of household deaths every DF year!

"I wouldn't wake her if I were you..."
"Why not?" *pulls duvet down*
*PTWANG THUNK squidgle burble glug...*

I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 05, 2009, 06:27:45 am »

Ok, found another really cool thing.

(Fighting the goblins this time) I noticed two little marks coming towards me at night. Turns out they were goblin eyes, so I can always see where goblins are, even when my sight doesn't extend that far, purely because their eyes glow in the dark! I shot a goblin in one eye and then only one mark showed! Attention to detail!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 05, 2009, 06:34:15 am »

(Fighting the goblins this time) I noticed two little marks coming towards me at night. Turns out they were goblin eyes, so I can always see where goblins are, even when my sight doesn't extend that far, purely because their eyes glow in the dark! I shot a goblin in one eye and then only one mark showed! Attention to detail!
Ah!  That's what they represent!  I thought it was just a variant of "last seen".

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 05, 2009, 11:27:00 am »

haha, I remember when someone first posted that, but no one believed it.  Someone had to actually test it to prove it.  Ah, here is the relevant post.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:30:24 am by Christes »

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 05, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »

Now THAT is cool!!  Cool enough for me to use multiple exclamation marks even!!

I'd noticed the little marks before, but I just thought it represented my hearing stuff that I couldn't see, still cool, but not as cool as glowing eyes.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2009, 03:50:57 pm »

I've just noticed that while the forum overview appears in standard blue and white, whenever I visit a particular section or thread it changes to darkness.

I've also noticed that the "Max Mosely" which I have modded into the game will probably get me lawsuits (no pain + whip attachment to his hand).

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 05, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »

Yet another cool thing I noticed!

I had a brief moral panic when I realised I was killing goblins that had been born in year 8, and died in year 1057. Do I really have the right to end such venerable lives? Yes.

This prompted me to look at the raws, where I discovered the reason for their lack of demise: There is no max age limit. Unlike kobolds, goblins will live forever, or until they get cut down. Think about this next time you slaughter a goblin siege or ambush. Those tiny little bastards have been living and practicing for a thousand years or more, and a few dwarves with three months of crossbow training have killed them all.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 95