Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 95

Author Topic: Cool things you just noticed in DF  (Read 237007 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Cool things you just noticed in DF
« Reply #570 on: July 06, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »

Goblins are a form of demon and thus immortal.
Then Goblin=Elf too.

It all starts to make sense now...
oh lol, Tolkien lore, only that was Orcs = Elves... ah well.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 06, 2009, 06:27:29 pm »

I really am tempted to kill all the next batch of  elves that come my way. hey give me nothing good, and they're elves. They have trespassed for too long on my soil, now is the time to appease ARMOK!!!

THIS IS RITHODAD!!!!

An elven force of archers would just fail against my entrenched and fortified marksdwarf position, and those wooden swords would snicker snack everywhere my dwarves aren't.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:39 pm »

exactly. all animals have "maxage=" but goblins don't. Either toady accidentally made a mistake (likely, given everything else he has to focus on) or goblins truly do live forever. Given that I visit gob fortresses in adventure mode that are only sparsely populated by goblins, I'm guessing that their reproduction rate must be WAY down. I'm going to check raws for verification.

It's not an oversight, goblins deliberately have no max age. They're all supposed to die in battle or back stabbed by their own kind, not of old age.

I found this out after I asked the same questions when I found myself killing a goblin that had been the high priest for over a thousand years

Red Minjo

• Bay Watcher
  • New head of Grunty Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 06, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »

Unless I'm just missing something else happening, it seems like vermin can escape from their cages and slip away when you try to tame them.  I've had my animal trap dragged to my kennel twice with the notice just when my Dungeon Master got there that there were in fact no small animals to tame, and the vermin was no longer in the trap or animal screen.
It makes sense that there is a chance for failure, but the error message is odd and the wiki doesn't mention anything about it.

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 07, 2009, 05:02:57 am »

I just noticed that when generating a world, you can get an epic amount of elves in the world.
I found a wandering party of elves amounting to roughly 20+.
Not to mention they were all Bowmen.
And pretty much 2/3'ds of the Towns were Forest Retreats with an ungodly amount of elves.
Now... If I was a Dwarf I probably would've just attacked them all and cut them down like the fairytales they are, but THERE WERE SO MANY OF THEM.
WITH BOWS.
AND ELDER DRUIDS.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 07, 2009, 06:32:51 am »

what the hell are you doing? get 50 dwarves and 100 socks and kill those dam elves!

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 07, 2009, 12:35:18 pm »

what the hell are you doing? get 50 dwarves and 100 socks and kill those dam elves!

One small problem: I was playing in Adventurer mode (<3) and my group consisted of me (Human Maceman), a Farmer who once saved my life by gouging out both eyes of a Cougar then strangling it after bruising its ear and a Crossbowman who broke all his limbs when everyone died because of a Cyclops in a cave.
And I just can't help but wonder... why was that Farmer so badass? He strangled several Wolves to death, by Armok!

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 07, 2009, 03:37:46 pm »

My guess as to the farmer's badassery(?) is that he was a hunter/soldier/hero in worldgen, then settled down as a farmer later in life.  Check out his history in Legends mode to find out.
Fefeshnelmargalip

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 07, 2009, 05:34:10 pm »

I always thought just about anyone could kill a Cougar. Those things suck at life.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 07, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »

They seem to be particularly poor at dodging bolts. Every bolt I fire goes in one end and out the other, penetrating every single organ on the way through (I assume, since I almost never get to check their wounds before they die)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #580 on: July 07, 2009, 09:58:12 pm »

Hippos run the fuck away from me, WHAT IS THIS?

"The Milkfish stands up"

I love the tropics, especially when an elf town is centered around a river.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:06:56 pm by Lamp »
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 08, 2009, 01:00:56 am »

They seem to be particularly poor at dodging bolts. Every bolt I fire goes in one end and out the other, penetrating every single organ on the way through (I assume, since I almost never get to check their wounds before they die)
Yeah, they strugle just to keep from dieing of being crushed by air all their life. Honestly their probably the most pathetic carnivore in the whole game.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 08, 2009, 07:52:08 am »

Hmm, what makes cougars so weak?  Their bite (1:6) attack seems to be the same as most other bite attacks (including carp), and their size of 7 is about average.  Hmmm.

Incidentally, how does it work?  Is it (crits:damage)?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #583 on: July 08, 2009, 08:48:28 am »

Hmm, what makes cougars so weak?  Their bite (1:6) attack seems to be the same as most other bite attacks (including carp), and their size of 7 is about average.  Hmmm.

Incidentally, how does it work?  Is it (crits:damage)?
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37546.0

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 08, 2009, 12:29:45 pm »

I found a Forest Retreat populated solely by Dwarves.
Then I found some Goblin fortresses that belonged to the Hell Of Disloyalty.
Pretty soon I had a small party consisting of a child ('Rescued' prisoner), two Marksdwarves, one thief and one goblin Fishery Worker.
Later on a Farmer gouged both my eyes out (Quite possibly the Farmer who didn't die of a Cyclops in another Adventure) and broke my legs.

Damn Farmers.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 95