Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: LCS game mechanics feedback (spoilers)  (Read 10792 times)

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS game mechanics feedback (spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

Hrm. Going through the secured rooms now filled with goodies and caged "animals"(which I just realized could be used for training, horrible, horrible, me.) makes me think it probably would be better if there were just more blank rooms off the secured corridors. It would make more sense, but I have no idea if that's even *possible* with the map code.

Oh. Neat. There's also the fact that almost anyone with juice is going to end up being able to beat the conservatives intelligence scores with little to no problem. My team of hippies managed to achieve invulnerability as soon as they all had a little disguise skill, so I assumed it was that. But you're right, my incredibly slick main character had it even though I didn't get any skill to start with.

And I was *so* going to get 6 high juice liberals with 6 radio personalities towed along just to see the whole station surrender to me   ;)

Edit: I'm not sure I like the way this delay is put in. It doesn't *feel* like I'm in an encounter. Before whenever I came across people it seemed like there should have been something catching me from walking through and ignoring them, rather than something catching me from walking into them to begin with..you know? I think the delay should be after the screen updates in the new position with the people printed out. I think it's mainly that yellow ENC sign in the map that got me though.

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Xavior ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

Yes... I'm dividing the influence of your intelligence and charisma by 4, but tripling the power of actual disguise skill. I'm also more than doubling the speed with which disguise skill increases. Hopefully that will play a little better.     :cool:

Edit 1: "The whole station surrender to me" whahaha! Almost makes me want to have a really high score still there that causes everyone in the place to Liberalize. The power of your Elite Liberal Convictions has radiated out across the AM Radio Station and awoken everyone's True Liberal Nature...

Edit 2: Regarding encounters, I know what you mean, but that's unfortunately the only place in the code where it's known that you've entered an encounter. Before the screen updates, all data regarding the fact that you just got into an encounter is destroyed. If you go into the juice bar and walk up to a table, you'll see that the messages there regarding the table being filled or not are generated the same place I did these.

I can try forcing the encounter to display alongside the text, before you actually get into the tile, but your map in the lower right won't have updated yet, because you're still in the old tile...

Edit 3: To be specific, the problem is that the encounter is generated before you enter the next tile, and once you actually enter the encounter, there's no way of knowing how long you've been there. Maybe I can add a variable to remember how long.

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

Bummer. That sounds like a good idea though.

Regarding disguise skill increase being doubled, once you get high levels of either disguise or security, they seem to go up REALLY fast as it is. My Master Thief mainchar had upwards of 22 disguise and security from about 14 and 8 just from his last few adventures trying to bust Aiko the professional thief out of jail ;P(and Failing, as in days of searching the police station there was no lockup to be found o_O)

On an unrelated note, do wounds Ever recover normally? It makes little sense for me to have to spend a month in the clinic to get over a few bruises, even if I can just leave at the end of the month and come back the next day. Maybe I could invest in a lounge or something?

Also, I Love your police heat system, changing safe houses every week or two and watching the police invade just days later is priceless  :D

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 12:36:00 am »

How's this suggestion for that... I can make it so that once you reach level 10 in a skill, it takes twice as much experience to level up. Once you reach level 20, it takes three times as much. Once you reach level 30, it takes four times as much... and so on.

Edit: Wounds don't recover normally, but there have been suggestions about having a medical skill that can be used to staunch bleeding when fighting evil. If implemented, that could be used.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 12:41:00 am »

Sounds good. I'm kind of reluctant to make any suggestions that would really hurt my ability to be a Master of Everything though;D
And you know the code for raising skills better than I do(as I've yet to see it) But considering how fast it went up after reaching 10, that seems like a pretty good plan. Except disguise and security are the only skills I've managed to raise so consistently, any rise in anything else seems purely luck.

Ooh! Would it be possible to warn you if you're about to leave, fight, or grab something, when there is an encounter going on and you haven't already alienated everyone? -- I think just printing out the encounter information when you see someone up ahead would probably be just great though.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 12:50:00 am »

Actually, beyond a certain point, skill gains are pretty pointless, because nobody can rival you. I did have a blind founder named Riot, who had both eyes and a nose blown off in combat, but could regularly slice people in two with a sword anyway... you have to realize here that blindness is a -24 penalty to your attack skill, which is enough to negate, on average, about 50 points worth of agility and sword skill!  ;)

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

Hehe. Blind Samurai 4tehwin!!
If there is a cap on skills though, I think it should be based on their related attributes, rather than an arbitrary cap for everyone. Just because...it feels better.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 12:56:00 am »

That is a truly awesome idea. It even increases the cap when you juice up. Beautiful.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 01:04:00 am »

Gah! That bruise on my head is apparently accompanied by the fact that I've lost all my teeth --_-- ALL of them! From what, one punch? That's sad.

Can I get dentures or something? :P I seriously doubt whoever I fought was strong enough to knock out all of someone's teeth with one whap. If he did he should have gotten seriously lucky.

Wow, any headshot is guaranteed a critical hit? That's brutal. (~line 11170)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 01:37:00 am »

He got seriously lucky if he got all 32 teeth. But he probably didn't -- I just checked and found a bug where "missing teeth" was being incorrectly displayed as "no teeth".  :p Good catch.

And yeah, headshots and bodyshots are both guaranteed a roll on the special damage table. If the damage type (punch versus shoot, for example) is incompatible with the critical hit rolled, or you didn't do enough damage to qualify for the type of critical hit rolled, it will be ignored, however. So if they punch you in the face, they can knock all your teeth out, or even break your neck if they're really strong, but you'll not see any special hit result if they roll to take your eye out, because that's not possible with that damage type. Also, unless they're very strong, they're very unlikely to break your neck; even if they roll that result, they probably won't have done enough damage to qualify.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

Oh.

That's actually pretty cool.             :D

Why can't I find anything when I search for "No Teeth" in the code? >_>

Oh, and am I imagining things, or does juice actually have far more to do with article power than any sort of ability on the part of the writers? Even my main character with all the persuasion and intelligence and charisma and heart and writing skill I can muster only writes average articles at first.

Oh, and I'm not sure if this was intentional, but with a high enough heat level, the police will raid my safehouse with a business front if I stay there longer than a week, and be there within the next. Not quite six months          ;) But then, I'm stealing everything in sight and committing so many crimes I'm probably at the maximum amount possible. And if/when I do eventually get caught, I'm going to get off free.(My MC  always gives crazy high levels of awesome in court)

-- They got me in 9 days(meant to leave after a week, got carried away...)

Letting items get placed into the restricted area seems to work really well, the only thing that worries me is that the balance might be affected by adding so much more loot. Of course, you have to be willing to take the heat for stealing all that loot, since each crime counts individually. For special squares it works beautifully, though the animal research labs are packed full of cages with cute little giant murderous bunnies, the genetic research one looks kind of crazy when you finish it without openning any of them.

WHOA, I also got about 6 police records going through the station releasing prisoners enough times to increase public opinion to 100%(did I mention disguise was too powerful?) police record chance is on line 5067 along with all the other loot item tables nearby. I thought 1 in 40 was pretty ridiculous when you were only going to get 3 or 4 loot items max though.

Maybe the greater the heat you pull down on yourself during your visit, the harder your disguise check should be? It would probably make more sense than just turning the whole thing off when the alarm is sounded too.

I think the prison control center actually should be placed somewhere reasonable rather than randomly throughout the compound, since it's something they obviously have to keep the prisoners from getting to, so it should be out of the way. Like you said, putting a new room in the back or maybe the center of the prison complex where the special will always be.

It *is* possible to get over 100 media power...I think.. my elite liberal character has 76(24Hrt, 22Int, 21Cha,9 Persuasion) and a radio personality has a minimum of 23 media power when used as a hostage.(10Cha+10Fame+1Int+1Hrt+1Persuasion), AND a random persuasion bonus of 1-7 on top of that, with 22 remaining stat points to distribute that can go to int or heart. getting the remaining....ONE point, should be pretty much guaranteed. But I kidnapped a radio personality Twice and went on the air, and Both times came out pumped full of holes by Conservative Security.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

Don't know why you wouldn't find "No Teeth", it's in there in a couple of places.

Juice isn't factored into article power, but you need to roll really high to get it. I need to overhaul the way the newspaper is set up eventually, probably when I get a way to report on LCS actions. I want to make it so that popularity is broken down on several criteria: Quality of writing, quantity of writing, distribution, and "jazz" or "juice" or something, with the last factor being how many exclusive reports and such you have, so the paper won't be very popular if you don't do any LCS news (or a special feature).

Here's how the police hunt should be working: If you redline your heat value, and the location has no residual heat when you arrive, it'll take 8-12 days for the police to raid an undisguised compound in one of the warehouses or the homeless shelter, compared to 18-32 days for a place guarded by a business front. Keep in mind that you'll need to buy a new business front every time they raid, because they dismantle the business front. If you don't let the location cool down enough, that'll knock about three days off the total time.

You probably didn't get security to wait at their desks because neither you nor your hostage is guaranteed to get the full sum of all of your statistics. A couple of them only give you a random number up to the value of your statistic, not the full amount.   :D

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

Damn, I'm segfaulting. It happened first when I took a new squad of hippies out to the police station, and then it restored my save to two days earlier(just before I recruited them). And crashed again when I was trying to put my founder Lex into a squad http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/geminireonard/segfaultsave.notdat

EDIT:
AWESOME!     :D -- If only I could decide to try to recruit someone after they see through my disguise   ;) Of course! Kidnapping!

// And I just realized when the save loads it says there's squads up to L, I definitely didn't put them there.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

Well, I don't know what *got* you into that place, but I know why it's crashing. The vector of squads has been corrupted pretty bad, and when you try to form a new squad, it wants to walk through that list and track them all by location. The moment it tries to find any data on any one of the squads, it crashes instantly, because the squad doesn't exist. Or more specifically, the data pointer is trashed, so dereferencing it is causing an access violation.

Your pool is also getting corrupted somehow; there are six or seven pointers to what looks to be the exact same "person", a conservative hostage who has been with you for 0 days and is named something like "============================".

I don't really have any way of determining why these global vectors are getting corrupted, really. We're using different compilers and different operating systems, right? In that case your internal data is probably organized differently than mine anyway. If you have a save that is just before the actual corruption happens, I could look at that, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't happen on my machine. I think many of your Conservative Errors are also Linux-specific errors, because you tend to encounter much more grave errors than I ever see on my Windows box. I know the Linux implementation is pretty rocky, but I'm not the person to fix it, unfortunately.  :(

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

If I interact with these hostages in any way, it completely hoses the pool, probably because their names are too long.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9