Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion: No hidding assault rifles in the Equipment s  (Read 3707 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion: No hidding assault rifles in the Equipment s
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

When you're undercover, people can see if you're carrying anything bigger than a pistol, unless you use a trenchcoat in which case any full-length rifle is visible (shotgun and carbines are ok). I think it's a bit of an exploit to carry 6x M-16's and a complete wardrobe including Heavy Armor in your inventory only to equip it the moment the Cons are alerted. So if you carry those they should be seen by the Cons.

That means pistols are still recommended in most cases, at least if you're wearing a security uniform.

A way to prevent this, instead of forcing the player to dump everything in his inventory before he goes to a site, all non-equipped guns and armor could be grayed out during the visit (maybe clips too, since each person carries up to 9 clips... they should be able to use loot they pick up tho).

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: No hidding assault rifles in the Equipment s
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »

I personally imagine my squad going around with a trolley everywhere, as it's the only way to hide all that loot.  They hide their AK's on the trolley, beneith cardboard boxes.  No one ever thinks to look in cardboard boxes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Hanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

I allways thought I had cool Adventurer's Backpacks TM from Sierra or something awesome like that.
ude yo.... just dude

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

You are carrying the big guns in a bunch of big guitar cases.

Now... I don't know how they would explain a party of 6 black-robed judges lugging a bunch of upright base guitar cases through the court house. I guess that is where the disguise skill comes in?

Hanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »

Ahh yes, the old disguised as a band of roving judge guitarists trick.
ude yo.... just dude

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

I was thinking about this.  I really think that the whole inventory system will have to be redone at some point.  But that's at the bottom of the refactoring list.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:17:38 pm by penguinofhonor »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

Doesn't carrying a lot of stuff give you a disguise penalty already? I thought that was the danger of massive theft.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Carrying a lot of stuff doesn't give you a penalty currently, Bishop. However, LOOTING a lot of stuff does. The crime is what gets you, not the items themselves.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

Ah, Thank you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:17:45 pm by penguinofhonor »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

really? It doesn't for me (or at least it doesn't teach it anew)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>really? It doesn't for me (or at least it doesn't teach it anew)</STRONG>

Me too.

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

Sleight of hand used to be increased any time you did something illegal that could be noticed if there were people there, IF you already had it. At some point fairly recently when I discovered this, I changed it so that it only increases if you are committing crimes in the presence of Conservatives. This made an already pretty useless skill now pretty much impossible to improve since it's foolish to commit crimes in front of people anyway, but since the skill itself isn't very useful in the first place... meh...

As for no hiding assault rifles on the Equipment screen, I agree. Actually something that I've considered for awhile, it's just not entirely clear how to address it. One thing I'd been considering is eliminating the squad equipment as it stands now altogether -- instead of just hauling everything around in a Bag of Holding, loot grabbed on-site would be held in the hostage slot if large, or if small enough (cash, cell phones), could be pocketed if you have clothing. You would be able to see what each item of loot is before grabbing it, perhaps deciding who to grab it with. It's never been a high priority, but yeah, definitely have given this some thought.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 08:58:00 pm »

So then you could use the TV you looted to block attacks?  Cool!
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: [1] 2