Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Faq  (Read 2112 times)

LCS Faq
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

Pardon me if there already is one, but I've been trying this game out again, and I can't seem to tell what half the options are for. I imagine there are other people in the same boat, and some that actually know! This thread should be for those conservative minds like me, recieving liberal enlightenment from the latter party. So here goes:

1) Any benefit to car theft other than access to outskirts?

2) What do the investments do for the safe houses? I think I know for some, but I've really no idea for others (Power Generator?), so please just gimme a rundown.

That's it for now.

Edit:

3) What's the difference if any, between the University Hospital and the Free Clinic?

4) When viewing a squad, skills are listed as  #/#, what is the second number for?
[ June 04, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

[ June 04, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS Faq
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

1) Any benefit to car theft other than access to outskirts?

If you have a good driver in your squad, it can. Otherwise, not really. If you cause a big ruckus and don't get out quickly enough, you'll likely get pursued. Having a car or not determines whether there's a foot chase or a car chase. Car chases have the advantage in that you only have to worry about the skill of the best driver in the car, and naturally a very good driver will get a lot out of a very fast car. Combining them will provide you extra insurance against a close shave: if your liberals are already shot up, they can't run fast, but if all they're asked to do is sit in the back of a car and bleed, they're as fast as the car, and that saves lives -- assuming the driver can avoid smearing the entire squad across the pavement.

2) What do the investments do for the safe houses? I think I know for some, but I've really no idea for others (Power Generator?), so please just gimme a rundown.

Siege Fortification: Dissuades police from assaulting the compound directly. Eventually they'll get impatient, but in the mean time, you can sit around and wait them out if you have the rations. This may be somewhat useful for gaining publicity.

Security Cameras: If attempting to escape or engage, and you pull up the map, you'll be able to spot all of the attackers at any time and maybe even plan for how to avoid some.

Generator: If the police disconnect you from the power grid, you'll lose the lights in the compound. This will deprive you of prior knowledge of all the static information on the map. A generator ensures you've always got a little backup.

Printing Press: Enables you to publish the Liberal Guardian, which is most notable for publishing secret corporate documents, and any of several other special items you may be able to dig up... once I get another update out, it'll also enable you to tell people to write news articles, attack essays, and other information. That's currently unreleased and unfinished, and may undergo some changes.

Business Front: Makes it much harder for the police to track you down. Much harder.

Booby Traps: Can immobilize attackers, making them easy to evade, and if you do want or need to engage them, they tend to be pretty busted up by the trap.

Tank Traps: For the particularly belligerent revolutionary who has demonstrated that they are well beyond anything that mere law enforcement can handle...

3) What's the difference if any, between the University Hospital and the Free Clinic?

None right now, actually.

4) When viewing a squad, skills are listed as #/#, what is the second number for?

The first number (as you probably figured out) is the sum of all the skills that the squad member has. The second number indicates how many of those skill points are in the relevant weapon skill used by their primary weapon. Their physical attributes, the nature of the weapon used (for example, there's a big difference in power between the .22 revolver and the .44 magnum revolver), and other factors will also play a role. But all else being equal, someone who is (7/5) is often considerably more dangerous in combat than someone who is (18/0).

[ June 04, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

Thank you

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »

You're welcome. When you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

How do you hack things for money?  I cant seem to find that option.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:45:00 pm »

You need someone with reasonable intelligence and at least two levels of computer skill to hack. Then tell them to make trouble from the [a]ctivation screen. Instead of running around town splashing paint on fur coats, they'll sit in a dark basement pondering what cyber-mischief they can get into. You may need to wait a few days before anything happens, but eventually you'll start seeing results. Just bear in mind that such behavior is considered criminal.  ;)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

I've got a few questions...

First off, I can't seem to scroll with page up and down.  I know I have more than one screen of liberals, but pressing the page up and down keys does not work.  I tried hitting scroll lock and using the ones on the number pad, but nothing.  The arrow keys don't work either.

How do you increase skills?  I have one liberal making clothing every turn but I don't see any increase in skill.  Are they stuck where they are forever?

Lackland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

I had the same problem with scrolling because I use an azerty keyboard. The latest version gives you the ability to use azerty keyboard by changing the init file. In this file all is explained about how to change the keys to scroll and make them work depending of your keyboard.

And about skills, I noticed that too. It seems the only skills going up are the ones you use on the "field". But maybe I'm wrong.

ackland, as you can see, it''s written here.

"Because the undead ninjas elephants needed to go Liberal."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »

I have a qwerty keyboard but the page up and down did not work.  I figured out how to change it to brackets, though, and that works fine.

My clothing maker did raise a skill level eventually, so I guess it just happens really slowly.  I'm trying to avoid combat as much as possible, so weapons skills are not going up.  (By the way, a strategy guide for this game would be really useful.  I'm putting hours into this game just figuring out what different things do, rather than really getting much of anything done.)

I would still like to know how to raise things like the disguise and persuade skills.  My squads generally go out wearing homemade police or army or security guard uniforms, but I never see any increase in disguise skill.  Do I have to do something specific to get that skill up?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

odd...

just walk around in the police station doing nothing else should do it.... for disguise (yes.. it's stupid.. yes it's a bloody waste of time)

persuasion... defend yourself in court.. apparently

Grundee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

The next update for the game will include a ton of new features and changes to the game; when this is done we will write a strategy guide or update the existing manual.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

ive got a spare wiki lying around, if you want to make an LCS wiki, feel free to pm me about it
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>persuasion... defend yourself in court.. apparently</STRONG>

actually persuaison is easy to get. anything persuasive you do, from bluffing your way out of a police raid to getting dates and from convincing TV audiences to appearing in court will train it.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

turns out I have a question of my own:
is there a way to stop bleeding during missions?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »

No way to stop bleeding on a mission at the moment, but a medical skill for that and healing outside of missions is on the list for development. That was one of the last things I was working on, but it's not finished.