Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d Released  (Read 113276 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d Released
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:19:06 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

I decided to release the current bug fixes since a few of them involve patching up submitted saves and I wanted to get those out before I'm forced to break save compatibility for the next version -- I've found a save compat break will be the best way to handle the updates to the military structures, and I'll also get a chance to clear up the stuff-to-do-on-save-compat-break list that's been growing for almost a year now.  I'll still be able to look at all previously submitted saves (and any saves submitted against this version), but fixes won't apply to the saves themselves as the next release won't be able to load them.

Minor Changes
   (*) made sparring dwarves work on their selected weapon/unarmed skills rather than using their best skills

Bug Fixes:
   (*) stopped thrown tantrum items from causing dwarf to become site enemy
   (*) resolved shared item conflicts during map offloads
   (*) prevented units with shared items (eg stuckins/wrestles) from leaving the dwarf mode play area
   (*) got rid of world gen crash during succession after death of prolific long-standing position holders with inbred descendants
   (*) fixed crash from human siege campfires
   (*) stopped dwarves from taking their current hauled object off to bed when they schedule a rest due to injuries
   (*) stopped dwarves from choosing to sleep on top of traps
   (*) made adventure mode store transactions respect containment
   (*) made combat-produced chunks respect forbid orders
   (*) made cats able to carry vermin properly again
   (*) got rid of erroneous goblin siege announcement for elves
   (*) stopped custom profession names from obscuring recruitment announcements
   (*) made forbidden items count toward wealth properly
   (*) stopped fell moods from occurring if the fortress race does not drop a corpse
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.40d Released
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 10:04:53 pm »

The military structure thing must be a pretty big change if it's incompatible with previous saves. What does it mean, exactly?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:10:51 pm »

I would imagine it would be people starting use the roads and sites, along with actual usage of territory.

And while generally communities dislike having their saves no longer work, I think we'll be fine. Whatever you need to get the almighty Army Arc done. Unless it involves re-naming the game, for some odd reason or bug, Elf Forest Retreat.

Then we will turn into bad fans.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:14:31 pm »

I'm actually pretty curious about this too.  I don't expect a full secrets-divulging response, but what sorts of changes, exactly, need to be done to the military structure that makes the save games incompatible?

I will admit to being a teensy bit sad over not being able to take current saves, or find a way to convert old saves, and use them with a hopefully better-optimized version.  Maybe if that OpenGL tweak finds it's way into a windows binary...

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 11:52:35 pm »

Cool!  I don't mind the backward-compatibility.  I generally gen a new world every-time a new version came out anyway.  I eagerly awaits the next version!  Go Toady.

And while generally communities dislike having their saves no longer work, I think we'll be fine. Whatever you need to get the almighty Army Arc done. Unless it involves re-naming the game, for some odd reason or bug, Elf Forest Retreat.

I'm torn on this issue.  On one hand, not worrying about backward-compatibility will allow Toady to finished new features faster.  On the other hand, monthly change in version with no backward-compatibility could prevent some players from testing the new version.

Need more input from the community on this subject.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:17:42 am »

Quote from: Toady One link=topic=24492.msg275349#msg275349
   (*) got rid of world gen crash during succession after death of prolific long-standing position holders with inbred descendants
What an awesome way to describe that bug.  They are so horribly inbred, they broke reality.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:03:06 am by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:31:29 am »

Way to go Today :] Looking forward to a total revamp.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:05:10 am »

Way to go Today :] Looking forward to a total revamp.
Seconded! Go Toady! ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:31:14 am »

(*) made sparring dwarves work on their selected weapon/unarmed skills rather than using their best skills

Thank goodness.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:29:01 am »

(*) prevented units with shared items (eg stuckins/wrestles) from leaving the dwarf mode play area
Wait, does this mean that I can't lose my only pick because it got stuck in a cougar that left the map? If yes, why did this get changed? I kinda liked it, as it provided unforeseen challenges.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 02:57:49 am »

I know this is trite, but you never cease to amaze me how you can always update the game right as i'm getting good on this version...lol
thanks! ;D
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 04:47:19 am »

Hi!

Thanks for always doing so great work on things. The world gen crash fix is probably what killed my atttempts at 3 million+ event worlds, so I am looking forward to checking this out.

I am still not sure whether I should abandon my current fortress or port it to 40d ... Usually, I rather have a clean slate with a new version... but then I got pretty far in getting towards a finished big design project ...

I am also curious about the break in save compatibility - not so much about the military stuff, but because there seem to be some other, minor features that have been waiting for that break and which will get implemented now. Usually, it is the minor features which give this game a lot of its flavor and fun, so I am genuinely looking forward to what we will see in the next version.

Deathworks

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 05:20:40 am »

w00t, Go Toady!!!

How long till Core28?

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 06:46:13 am »

Well, the last time there was a break the results where amazing, so I'm pretty psyched about what this is going to involve. 
Ah, the hours I plan to waste on this game would frighten mortal men.  =->
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 06:46:15 am »

Minor Changes
I never noticed anything like this... After training dwarves to being fairly skilled in Wrestling (and armour/shield), then giving them weapons, they always gained weapon skill.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11