Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disguise/stealth abuse?  (Read 1405 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Disguise/stealth abuse?
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

So, I've noticed that the stealth and disguise skills are pretty much the most abusable skills in the game right now (correct me if I'm wrong!).  I've added all the code to make them only advance when there is a chance of failure (and XP is based on the risk).  In the existing code only one of the two skills is being used and both are advancing, but I also made it so that only the one being used for the rolls is getting any XP.  I still need to play a game with these changes in effect, and I'd like to hear peoples thoughts before I add these big changes to the SVN.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Disguise/stealth abuse?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

that makes sense.
speaking of disguise, shouldn't actors have it?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Sounds great to me.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by a1s:
<STRONG>that makes sense.
speaking of disguise, shouldn't actors have it?</STRONG>

I thought they did?  :(

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

The new stuff is up and compiling fine from here.  The current rate of advancement is (up to) twice as fast as it was before, but on the other hand it's only advancing one of the skills instead of both.  Overall it will be much harder to make a super stealthy squad, I expect (juice advances can still take the disguise to a really high effective value).  Since you get a bonus to (the overall) disguise score equal to 1/4th the best characters score, someone with a really high disguise can still help relatively unskilled people practice with more safety.  This is because advancements are based only on the individual, rather than the group, stealth score.  The same idea works for stealth, but since the bonus is only 1/8th, it's probably not a usable effect.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »

Irony! I actually did fix the disguise/stealth abuse problem, in exactly the way you described. When you posted this, I thought I had done it already, but I figured I must have imagined it. Turns out, I did, but it was the LAST THING I DID, and I forgot to commit it. Going back and updating, I now have a conflicted stealth.cpp.   :roll: Ahem. My bad. Fixed by going with yours for all but one line (made holding spraypaint suspicious).

Demon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

Damnit!  I found a bug in mine and was fixing it last night!  I think it's good now, but I've never used SVN before so now I have to figure out how to merge stuff...  Maybe we should just go with your fix, if you still have it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

You shouldn't have to merge. I resolved the conflicts by wiping out all my changes and going with yours. I only committed a one line change to something that wasn't in the same area as your code.

Edit: Sorry, you will have to merge, but you shouldn't have to do it manually, is what I mean. Just get the latest build from SVN if it won't let you commit your changes because your copy is out of date. It will merge for you without breaking a sweat. You won't have to worry about resolving conflicts unless we edit the same part of the file and it gets confused.

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]