Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Name That Currency!  (Read 14163 times)

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Name That Currency!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 11:17:47 am »

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 12:22:24 pm »

Dwarfbucks plays off of the complete and total lack of any system of units in the game.  Weight, Value, Volume, Distance, Power and anything else are completely and totally unitless.  Hence the habit of prefixing 'dwarf' to a common unit name of that type.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 12:44:43 pm »

No offense but Euros is about the stupidest name ever for a currency (this coming form a country where we have somthing called a toonie).

Jingles, Forumite has been devoured by Limul the Nobser of Anggovos, a ☼ Polar Bear

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 12:47:42 pm »

I submit my suggestions

Bjorks     (As in the Swedish Chef's favorite word, not the singer)
Crowns   (Pretty standard Stock Currency)
Hammers (As in Hammered currency, a bit more dwarfish)

I really like Bjorks.

In General I prefer terminology that is pronounceable like
Geifferundzsaduxit as opposed to ☼ besides ☼, is not ► :)
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:23 pm »

Dwarfbucks plays off of the complete and total lack of any system of units in the game.  Weight, Value, Volume, Distance, Power and anything else are completely and totally unitless.  Hence the habit of prefixing 'dwarf' to a common unit name of that type.

For that matter how about Urists or Cogs.

Edit:
Nevermind that was an idiotic comment.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:58:12 pm by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 01:53:04 pm »

Am I the only one to call them units? It's short, and I don't have to pull up Word to dig out that star symbol.
Anyway, I think eventually, the game will RNG a dwarfish name for each civilization.
And then comes inflation.

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 07:07:40 pm »

Even if they do get a name, I'm still going to call them turtles, cause that's what the symbol is.

BTW, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, or just haven't played into a part of the game which uses it, but is the $ used for anything?

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 07:11:07 pm »

what about

"stupid round metal thingies getting dragged all over the fortress and costs precious working time because of the stupid dragging"
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 07:17:06 pm »

Even if they do get a name, I'm still going to call them turtles, cause that's what the symbol is.

BTW, maybe I'm missing something obvious here, or just haven't played into a part of the game which uses it, but is the $ used for anything?

In adventure mode there are $items$ which are owned by people who are not you. 
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2008, 07:52:02 pm »

¤!

Remember kids, Alt + 0164.
Alt + 15 = ☼ which is the actual symbol in default DF.
It's short, and I don't have to pull up Word to dig out that star symbol.
You don't have to.  Look at any one of my 700+ posts and you'll have it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:54:32 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2008, 07:56:17 pm »

I like turtles. Turtles are just awesome, and they come up in your fort when you least expect it. Yeah, all those shell artifacts get annoying. In my head, however, when I'm calculating and such, I usually just think money or coins. It doesn't really matter, I guess. And, if you think about it, it just represents value, not actual coins or money. For instance, that barrel is worth 50*, not 50 coins or 50 gold or 50 blah. Same with coins, the coins are only worth their quality, material, etc. So I guess you could call it anything. You could call them turds or starfish or George Bushes, whatever.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:04 pm »

I like 'turtles' as well.  Dollars are called 'bucks' because they used to have about the same value as deerskins ('used to' being like more than a hundred years).  They're obviously a completely different value now, so the slang doesn't even make sense, as all good slang should.  So calling Dwarven currency 'turtles' when a turtle is worth two turtles makes it all the better.  The inflation happened in world gen.

They also use the same symbol and I like to believe the dwarves are completely 'genre savvy' about their crazy world, and know that turtles and denominations and gemstones look exactly alike.  I'm waiting for the day an Encrust order goes wrong and I wind up with a cabinet decorated with live turtle.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »

Monies works fine for me, dunno about you.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:13 pm »

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

I see what you did there. Sig'd.

I've always used "monies", but I don't really think it matters. People generally know what you're talking about no matter what term you use.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »

The DF languages really need to be fleshed out, I never really paid attention to how many words they are missing. No words for Dwarf, Elf, or Human - what do they call eachother, exactly? No words for coin or currency. No words for most of the material types. No word for toy. Thousands of things missing. They don't even have a word for bag - now wonder the dwarves had so much trouble organizing bags - they don't even have words to express the idea of a bag, or even container.

The only words dwarves need are liruk and ucat.

That's Violence and Beer, for the dabbling dwarvish professors out there.

I propose that we call dwarven currency Beers. I love the idea of a dwarf at the trade depot offering the pay ☼25500 ("25,500 beers!") for a stack of decorated bolts.

I use Guybrush's font, so the symbol looks like a sparkling frosty mug (minus handle, handles are hard to make) from above. Hence, Beers. Mmm, beers.

I've always used "monies", but I don't really think it matters. People generally know what you're talking about no matter what term you use.

Untrue. If you call it turtles, there's a chance you could confuse someone into thinking your primary export is shelled reptiles. At least Beers correctly conveys that it's something valuable that the dwarves are constantly seeking, analogous to real alcohol.

Mmmm. Beer.

</thread>
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:06:43 pm by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6