Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 62043 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Mount and Blade
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:00:48 am »

I don't see this thread yet. What the hell? :)
This game is awesome in aspect of hit-n-parry system and have a funny polearm mechanics.
Also there're a lot of cool mods out there. My fav. one was The last days for 0.808 version and now it's not ported to 0.960 yet (I think they are waiting for 1.0). But there're cool mods for 0.960 now too.
I currently play: Chronicles of Talera, Gladiator mod, Guardian party, Hegemony 268 B.C. and Star Wars Calradia.
Here you can get the mods: www.mbrepository.com.

I think it's time to share our experience in this cool game.

P.S. It's indie too and made by a turkish man.
P.P.S. Also it's VERY moddable. I made a Heroes 3 mod myself, however I've lost it :(. I've made a few nice models like minotaur and evil eye. Also it's scriptable in Python, so basically anything is possible if you have a time :).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:03:35 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 11:02:15 am »

Afaik there will be a "commercial release" pretty soon.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:09 am »

I don't care, I've already bought it about 2 years ago when it was like 0.345 :) (and it's cost was about 5$).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:16:18 am »

I don't care, I've already bought it about 2 years ago when it was like 0.345 :) (and it's cost was about 5$).

Yeah I also have it somewhere... ;D
I was playing with the middle earth mod back in time, is that project still alive?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 12:23:54 pm »

I got in when it was at .751.  Ah, the memories...

Actually, there's not that much nostalgia.  The game's just gotten better and better so far as I can tell, and it's shaping up to be pretty damn epic.  Even without mods.

But the mods are truly outstanding.  And the Middle Earth team had damned well better keep going strong.  That was the one mod to rule them all.  Star Wars couldn't match it, Warhammer couldn't match it, not even the Pirates mod could match it.

There was one other mod that was pretty damn awesome though...  I can't remember the name of it offhand, but it had undead people and savage warriors in bronze armor with curved swords.  That was a pretty epic modification, if I do say so myself.  Even had ruins that you could go and loot for artifact weapons and armor. (although that assassin's bow was pretty messed-up, if you ask me).

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:37:15 pm »

And on version 5.6 it will cost about two thousand dollars.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:26:20 pm »

I bought it, but I don't think my laptop can run it. It hardly runs half-life 2. But anyway, yeah. It's a fantastic game with infinite potential, and the physics based weapon system (focused on the speed of two people, as opposed to random dice, as far as I know) is much preferred. You can chalk up dying to poor personal luck or simply not being good enough at the game yet, rather than that the enemy rolled a perfect 20 and there's nothing you can do.

It's a nice change of pace, even if I like random-based games a lot.

Also. The quarterstaff is a supremely dangerous weapon, second in my opinion only to the halberd (maybe this was from a mod.) The quarterstaff is non-lethal, is reasonably fast and reasonably long, and works well on foot or on horseback.

The most fun I remember lately is when I failed to sneak into a town and had to escape disguised as a pilgrim, with a wooden quarterstaff (the metal one is preferable.) I managed to KO all of them, through a lot of luck. Actually, it wasn't that hard if you get into an alley way and pray there aren't any archers... but it was still fun as hell. Turn, parry, thrust! *smacks himself in the face*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 02:49:56 pm »

Yeah, this game's pretty much epic.  I used to play it constantly but I've moved away, I had a mod that changed the factions to more realistic ones, like the 12-something mod.  The Swadians were a religious order now, and wore crusader-esque armor, with white surcoats.  Naturally I joined them, and won many battles against the silly Rhodoks.  I also love the sound your sword makes when you slash a footman across the neck with your sword from horseback, it's this delicious, tiny thwack.
Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 04:09:04 pm »

I bought it, but I don't think my laptop can run it. It hardly runs half-life 2. But anyway, yeah. It's a fantastic game with infinite potential, and the physics based weapon system (focused on the speed of two people, as opposed to random dice, as far as I know) is much preferred. You can chalk up dying to poor personal luck or simply not being good enough at the game yet, rather than that the enemy rolled a perfect 20 and there's nothing you can do.

It's a nice change of pace, even if I like random-based games a lot.

Also. The quarterstaff is a supremely dangerous weapon, second in my opinion only to the halberd (maybe this was from a mod.) The quarterstaff is non-lethal, is reasonably fast and reasonably long, and works well on foot or on horseback.

The most fun I remember lately is when I failed to sneak into a town and had to escape disguised as a pilgrim, with a wooden quarterstaff (the metal one is preferable.) I managed to KO all of them, through a lot of luck. Actually, it wasn't that hard if you get into an alley way and pray there aren't any archers... but it was still fun as hell. Turn, parry, thrust! *smacks himself in the face*
Huh? I was running it in low-res at 800 MHz comp. Graphics were crappy but the combat gameplay still was there. The Great Epicness of this game that it can require from 700MHz up to 2000 MHz (but it's more graphic-card dependent).

And if someone is playing 960 still, TRY "Chronicles of Talera"! It doesn't have "uberweapons" and some nasty things like magic other mods offer but it has a great variety of units, nice faction system (you have attitude not to the whole faction but to specific leaders PLUS faction), nice quests, town/castle/village feudal system, ability to burn villages and have your own fiefs, non-linear quests, cow herding :) and a lot of other nice systems. yeah, and it has a very cool tournament system (works like real tournament), cool melee fights on arena (40 people Free For All :)) and a lot of other cool things I haven't found yes. Ah, it uses different skill system too and it even has a "persuasion" skill since quests play major role there. Try it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 04:12:43 pm »

I wish there were an easy install for all the different mods.

I haven't played M&B in awhile but I guess I'll take a look at what I missed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:40:16 pm »

Im going to reinstall this baby again. Thanks for the mod tip Deon! I will definitely try that out.  8)

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 04:57:15 pm »

Actually, .751 runs fairly well even on older integrated graphics if you have an ok processor.

Great game! :P If only it was more DF'y and had, say, weapon sticking, ect ect :P That, and not so many "experts" in the forums thinking its INSANELY DIFFICULT to cut arms off and DOWNRIGHT IMPOSSIBLE! to cut heads off ;/
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:03:02 pm by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:04:25 pm »

But the mods are truly outstanding.  And the Middle Earth team had damned well better keep going strong.  That was the one mod to rule them all.  Star Wars couldn't match it, Warhammer couldn't match it, not even the Pirates mod could match it.
Middle Earth mod is http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=7&lid=61 It kicks ass - btw, for version .808

EDIT: Speaking of lame, I can't find anywhere to re-download .808.
EDIT2: nvm finally found it http://www.mofunzone.com/game_patch_downloads/mount_and_blade_0_808.shtml

They removed it off the main page and file depository, even though there are millions of mods for .808 hmmmmmm (conspiracy?)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:18:08 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 06:55:38 pm »

I like the 100 Years War mod. Though all of them are worth trying.

The game engine is fairly amazing considering who's making it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:02:21 pm »

It's a fun game. I just hope 1.00 has some serious AI improvements. .960 AI is terrible, especially in sieges. Field battles aren't much better, with them usually just auto running in your direction and not using any kind of formation or tactics.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13