Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 62044 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:29 pm »

Lancer is too easy? Try "Gun Thunder" mod with cannons and barrels.

Seriously, rifles are a nice way to counter mounted units. And not the fact that they shoot (well, crossbows shoot too) but the fact that many infantry units in this mod carry rifles (it's more modern age there); horsmen still rule but not overwhelm. I kinda like it.

This mod is looking UBER so far.

Must try mounted gun cavalry against normal infantry :D

holy shiat
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BEST MOD EVER
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:45:25 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 02:14:29 am »

WTF, man, I've just saw it: they have hand cannons and hand rocket launchers :). THey are very rare but the fact that they've made IT instead of crossbows :D. This game is really HIGHLY moddable.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 04:45:10 pm »

As to the scarcity of story/plot, I believe the devs said that they've been focusing on other aspects of the game and only ver 1.0 is going to feature a plot.

Also, I played 0.75x on a really low-end system (P3 500) and it was playable with a small battle size. Well, unless you wanted to play as a mounted archer on havily wooded maps.

And the game is good, I bought it at ver 0.70x. I don't think any other game before had really featured interesting mounted combat.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:30 pm »

As to the scarcity of story/plot, I believe the devs said that they've been focusing on other aspects of the game and only ver 1.0 is going to feature a plot.
Some dude at SA with a pre-release of v1 says there's still no plot.

Hopefully they keep on adding stuff beyond v1 or the modders pick up the slack.

I just hope they FIX SIEGES. Holy shit are they so annoying/buggy right now. Everything else is amazing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 08:36:39 pm »

Well, all he needs to make it a really awesome game is to add AI pathfinding script, introduce the morale advanced feature into combat (it's in mods already like in that Gun Thunder but it needs some tweaking) and make more location maps. If you've tried Tales of *** (I forgot the name, I mentioned it earlier in this thread) it has different new maps which are quite cool) and improve siege weaponry.

I think there'll be A LOT of new in 1.0 (16th september), at least he added a lot of features from .808 to .960. Villages, loot, skills and much more.

And to speak about plot, why did he add a "persuasion" skill if he didn't plan to increase quests number/value?
I still think that there won't be a "storyline" but the quest part is constantly improving. Now we already have nice random quests from villages and battle orders from commanders. Let's wait for more :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 09:15:34 pm »

I'm not really bashing on the lack of plot :P

As long as the modders pick up on the hardcoded stuff it's easily been worth my $7.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 10:32:51 pm »

IMO the only real problem with the game is the AI. I love pretty much everything else about the game. I love the sandbox feel and the loose quests. The heraldry and lord/vassal system is great (and probably much improved in 1.0, we'll see). AI is the weak link.

If the game was multiplayer, you could get away with the current mindlessly charging at the nearest enemy AI. But since it's a singleplayer game, it HAS to have good AI to provide challenge to the player. Currently you can take to the field with inferior troops and wipe the floor with much larger armies, simply because they use no tactics. Mounted units mop the floor with unmounted units, but if the player controls the unmounted units it's the other way around - you can hold a line and massacre the mounted troops. If the AI used tactics like this it would provide much more challenge to players, and you couldn't just rush in blindly every fight and still win.

I'm hoping that AI is improved significantly with 1.0. If it is, I'll definitely find myself playing the game a lot more in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, even if it's the same ol' crappy AI, I still count the game as one of my better purchases. You just can't beat $10 for all the months of enjoyment that I got out of it, and even at the current price of $29.99 it's a much better value than other products out there - especially the SPORE fiasco...

Either way, I guess we'll see soon.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 11:19:54 pm »

Yeah - That 'gun thunder' mod is GREAT. The thing with it is since the units can kill each other from across the map except against charging knights means more point for tactics and cover. I have to station my vaegir sharpshooters on a hill and then go harass with mounted knight cavalry + khergit rifle cavalry from the side. But lines of gunmen aren't immune to large charges as well, though that will amount to huge losses on both sides.

To properly station your troops so that they outshoot the other side and don't get charged means a lot of riding back and forth to give directions your troops and tell them where to hold and where to follow you, like an actual officer had to.

It plays the way I imagine the American revolutionary/Neopoleanic wars were, just sped up quite a bit.

Though the Nord Cannoneers need refining. If you charge them with a few knights, the cannoneers will blow up half their own army to try to kill the knights. Likewise on your own side.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 07:30:12 am »

and even at the current price of $29.99
Wow, already? I've bought it for 4.99$.

That 'gun thunder' mod is GREAT
Firearms change combat tactics a lot :). No more need for those pretty formations and other things from the ancient times, everything is changed.

Though the Nord Cannoneers need refining. If you charge them with a few knights, the cannoneers will blow up half their own army to try to kill the knights. Likewise on your own side.
That's why I never hire them. :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 11:24:54 am »

and even at the current price of $29.99
Wow, already? I've bought it for 4.99$.

Actually 29.99 is a very good price even, considering that this game is more fun than most of the "big games", and those price is 50$+...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 03:16:09 pm »

I see what are you talking about :).

Also 30$ is something that I can get in 1 day at work (sleeping in a chair and doing nothing) so I don't think that it's much too. I was kinda amazed when I saw it's first price (5$) because even those days without formations, minimap, buildable villages, morale and stuff it had a cool and addictive (and unique) gameplay.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 11:02:20 pm »

The Last days (aka middle earth mod) is still being actively developed. The creators are waiting to port to 1.0, it is very far from being dead. http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c6f948l45on9h7gqle5f5rd597&board=20.0 <- The Last Days forum.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:07 am »

I know it and I look forward to it.
I also uploaded a soundtrack from LOTR movies to play as a in-game music. I like it more this way :).

Uh oh... I was muted for this.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2008, 05:10:11 am »

The Last days (aka middle earth mod) is still being actively developed. The creators are waiting to port to 1.0, it is very far from being dead. http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c6f948l45on9h7gqle5f5rd597&board=20.0 <- The Last Days forum.

Oh awesome...Tolkien's fantasy world is the best!  :D

MeshGearFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2008, 02:41:19 pm »

I played this a long time back and thought that, while it had neat mechanics, the indistintinct towns were more than enough for me to handle (everywhere looking the same is one of the reasons I don't like Daggerfall). What's it like in that sense now? Then again, the other reason I quit playing Daggerfall was that there wasn't anything to do but take quests that lead to dungeon crawls which took place in mazes of twisty little passages, each more alike than the last.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 02:43:08 pm by MeshGearFox »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13